Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 05:32PM

It must be so inconvenient when Independence Day falls on a Monday.

"More than 40,000 people will fill LaVell Edwards Stadium Saturday to celebrate American independence at the 36th annual Stadium of Fire event, this year featuring country music star Tim McGraw....

....Stadium of Fire is generally held on July 4, but this year will be held Saturday night so as to not interrupt Family Home Evening traditions on Monday. The Freedom Festival uses Brigham Young University facilities and staff to put on the event."

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainment/music/country-star-tim-mcgraw-headlines-stadium-of-fire-on-saturday/article_095807d7-0a9b-570d-83b0-94f7e8f5ec45.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 05:52PM

From what I understand, the only time that the Stadium of Fire actually takes place on July 4th is when it falls on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Sunday is out for obvious reasons. But even when the 4th is on a Tuesday, Stadium of Fire is usually moved to another day. There is a practice that needs to take place the day before the event and it isn't allowed to take place on a Monday.

Unfortunately, Stadium of Fire is the major fireworks show on or near the 4th in Utah County.

The 4th of July used to be one of my favorite holidays when I was a kid and lived outside of Utah. But I've lived in Utah County for much of my adult life and it just isn't the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 06:02PM by want2bx.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 07:10PM

New Name: Stadium of Stupid. :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 08:56PM

Did ghawd have to remind them or did they remember that on their own?

Also, is the church pretending that JS & BY were all about FHE?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 09:10PM

What idiots! July 4 is on Monday, not Saturday! Does the whole city shut down just for stupid FHE?? What about nonmembers? Or visitors from out of state or elsewhere? Tourists??

It's stuff like this that makes the world laugh at how stupid and cult like the morg is!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 04:34PM

Anonymous 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What idiots! July 4 is on Monday, not Saturday!
> Does the whole city shut down just for stupid
> FHE?? What about nonmembers? Or visitors from out
> of state or elsewhere? Tourists??
>
> It's stuff like this that makes the world laugh at
> how stupid and cult like the morg is!

This was one of the major sources of my annoyance when I first moved to Utah in 1993. They would change celebrations(even things like trick-or-treating) if the actual date of a holiday happened on a Sunday or Monday. Arrogance, I thought!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 04:38PM

And their big Mormon holiday, July 24, falls on a Sunday this year(gasp!) so it remains to be seen if they will still hold their huge parade on that day or change it to Saturday, the 23rd!?

Posted by: lovelilith ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 09:23PM

Dumb.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 09:50PM

I don't understand why the Stadium of Fire event can't be FHE.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 10:09PM

Guitars & drums.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 10:30PM

Yeah, just have someone read the lesson from the manual right after the opening prayer. Then on with the show.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 11:15PM

Just another one of those little details to show just how extra special we are...look at us changing days cuz fhe is church standards and by golly its dam important...rats on a wheel...seems some have an ocd overload if every brick doesnt fall into place just like tommy tells us...morms gotta morm...but that really is what keeps em head down and ass up...doing the lards work...i wonder if the kids really get into all that scripture stuff...or just tune it out...silly buggers...what i have noticed over the years...for all that screwing around they still know diddly about their dam belief system...ask a missionary...anything

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 11:17PM

That has always been the case for as long as the this event has been held.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 11:19PM

I'm prophesying that 99% of TBMs will be shooting off fireworks for FHE on Monday.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 11:22PM

In my area, most of our fireworks displays will be tomorrow night, not Monday. If the weather is bad, they will be moved to next weekend

So I don't think this is really all that "OHMYGOD" they are NOT DOING DURING THE CELEBRATION ON THE 4TH!!!"

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 11:25PM

I guess it never occurred to the Utah County folks that families could attend the Stadium of Fire together. But, then, getting BBQ stains on our white T-Shirts while trying to get a peek of Tim's buffalo briefs isn't in the spirit of FHE lessons. McGraw's Boner.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 12:52AM

I live in the mid west and there isn't a town around that wouldn't celebrate Independence Day on July 4th - rain or shine.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 02:04AM

But the balloon festival is still on Monday....but that's really early in the morming.

Yes, I agree that the 4tth is just not the same here. I usually end up driving my car with the dog and my son out to redwood road and watching the fireworks at thanksgiving point. PLus the neighbors around here spend lots of money, and bring some illegal ones too.

I used to go to the stadium of fire outside the stadium. I haven't for 15 or more years. It's a horrible hassle, you have to get there 5 hours before the fireworks, and the traffic.

I grew up in Michigan and it was always on the 4th.

Everything in Utah county is controlled by the govern...I mean church.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 02:30AM

Typical disingenuous Mormon propaganda They're trying to claim righteous credit for an expedient decision.

Tim McGraw can earn a much better paycheck on Monday, and BYU had to settle for Saturday.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 02, 2016 02:38AM

Mormons are cute when they play holiday.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 04, 2016 11:43AM

So THAT explains it. I was driving back from a trip and saw some facebook pics of friends at Stadium of Fire. I couldn't figure out if it was one of those throwback pics from years ago or what.

That they would change a huge 4th of July celebration to Saturday to avoid FHE is beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 04, 2016 04:49PM

It's like they're determined to be odd.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 04, 2016 05:59PM

I think that Utah County is, as a whole, more determined to be self righteous than odd. It amounts to the same thing though.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpaks ( )
Date: July 04, 2016 06:09PM

Back in the 1970's at least, FHE was sold not as a religious night, but as a FAMILY night. Dinner, reading, a game of Twister. But maybe that was just just the sales pitch to unsuspecting invstigators.

Seems like celebrating the 4th as a family would qualifY (at least back in the 1970's).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2016 06:19PM

by holding it on saturday they will draw a larger paid crowd into that stadium and make more money.

Posted by: anontodayandtomorrow ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 01:57PM

I think it has more to do with ticket sales and marketing than FHE. Plus they have to fit it in the schedule of the headlining artists.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 02:55PM

FHE would be a perfect time for Independence Day as that is how it falls every seven years anyhow. What is more important to the family than Independence Day?? Odd set of priorities.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.