Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:57AM

The BoM musical leads Drama Desk nominations, according to NY Times.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/book-of-mormon-leads-drama-desk-nominations-with-12/?scp=2&sq=mormon&st=cse

I wonder how this will pan out for the Morg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:00AM

Maybe it will become the new and inspired temple ceremony. Nothing else seems to be working as far as keeping members in the cult; maybe this will bring in paying customers for morgdom.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:15AM

At least that was what I counted.
http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/nominees/index.html

Tony winners will be announced June 12. Paramedics will be standing by at Church Office Building.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:07AM

paramedics, love that! hahahahahhahahahaha!!!!!!

Posted by: Emmas Flaming Sword ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:29AM

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:07AM

I feel good that it will make them feel so bad.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:10AM

This guy was whining back a few weeks ago when the whole BoM musical thing hit the fan, how unfair the musical was to Mormons and how disrespectful. (You know Mormons--the whole world has to move out of their way and soothe and stroke them.) I reminded him that the LDS church had always wanted, and had even promised, that someday the Book of Mormon would be known by all nations. Now is their shining moment, I said--the Book of Mormon is in lights, right on Broadway. He should feel very proud.

I just don't understand why he couldn't be happy about this.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:13AM

My TBM friend John just called and read me "reviews" from the local newspaper (yes, actual paper, he's a little behind the curve), that the Book of Mormon is helping the church.

The laughter and publicity associated with the award-winning musical and the "sweet spirit" in the music has made Mormon bigots realize that all religions try to do good and that Mormons are wacky but loveable.

Sorry to throw cold water on the party, but as we all know, it's the framing of something, the spin, that matters.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:16AM

already.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:46AM

"Book of Mormon" leads in Tony nominations!

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 01:53PM

The show is more a rejection of all religions, and it's really quite tender in its portrayal of the missionaries.

And, as all mormons will tell you, the NAME will bring more recognition to the church. All news is good, even if it's negetive, because it is publicity for the church.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 04:12PM

The musical plays up all the batshit crazy theology of Mormonism, as well as their sociological foibles, like the pressure on mishies to baptize, and "testify" to things they don't really believe, and their Disney fixation.

I can't imagine *anybody* coming out of that musical thinking "hmmm, maybe that would be an interesting church to belong to."

There will certainly be lots of name recognition, but not in a very "we are the one true church" way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.