Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 08:34PM

NOT!

http://www.ldsliving.com/Stunning-Video-Tour-Takes-You-Through-the-Sapporo-Japan-Temple/s/82572

My only on the Internet FB Mormon people are gushing about this Japan masterpiece and architectural wonder.

I don't get it. They put stones in the floor like a Zen garden and a somewhat interesting symbol on the outside. Other than that it is just another Mormon building.

All that money and no Notre Dame, no Saint Paul's Cathedral, just all these ho hum edifices around the world.

Salt Lake Temple is their nadir. Talk about a one temple church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 08:57PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 08:53PM

I clicked on the link twice, and each time I got a "page does not exist" result...

??????

Date: July 06, 2016 08:58PM

Got the link off of Facebook. I'm sorry. I cut out a bunch of FB junk in the URL. The video is just as good or bad.

Date: July 06, 2016 09:19PM

Here's my perspective on the video...

The rock garden is pretty, and impeccably (to my imperfect knowledge, anyway) well done...

...the outside architecture seems to be a kind of formidable and scary (to me, anyway) melding of generic-Mormon-temple, with People's Republic of China/North Korea ceremonial/"patriotic" architecture of the last forty-five years ;)...

...there are chairs EVERYWHERE...and no place inside, that I could see, where people could kneel/sit on the floor (which I would expect to see in a Japanese place of worship)...

The interiors remind me of an upscale, international hotel chain, combined with traditional Japanese sensory "notes"...

...and I didn't see oxen under the baptismal pool. Aren't the oxen required in temple baptismal pools???

Date: July 07, 2016 08:06PM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...and I didn't see oxen under the baptismal pool.
> Aren't the oxen required in temple baptismal
> pools???

Yes. The weren't having a cow in their video.

Date: July 07, 2016 08:09PM

Elder Berry Wrote:

> Yes. The weren't having a cow in their video.

:D :D :D

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 09:23PM

I googled LDS Japanese temple. First, the architecture of the Tokyo temple looked like a heatsink with a stylus stuck in it. From the description, it's in a high-rent area and it must be pretty tiny with no land around it.

I can't imagine what the average Japanese reaction to Sapporo Temple will be, but to my tastes, it's as butt-ugly as any recent Morg temple. Massive, stocky walls with a pointy thing at the top with a gold dude playing the trumpet. So, which way does Moroni toot his horn? Facing East--the long way to Jerusalem, or facing West, the shorter route? Do the Japanese have any idea of this?

Next, visitation privileges. I think of Japanese society as being polite and honoring visitors. Those of you who have been there, is that true? Imagine an elderly Japanese couple being told they can't enter the temple once it's dedicated. How will that go over? Bow your head and reply, the Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 09:25PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 09:47PM

Boner, I am more uninformed than a lot of posters, but a couple of days ago someone posted that the Japanese temple is on ten acres of land.

Can you imagine the cost of ten acres in Japan!?!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 10:07PM

Steve, you're fucking awesome, none of this I'm less informed stuff! I only knew of the Tokyo temple until the other day, it's been around many years. But Sapporo was new to me. 10 acres! Wow, that's a LOT of yen. But the Morg has money to burn. Eventually, I think it's going to catch up with them. For example, the Los Angeles temple has a fairly low maintenance exterior. But San Diego (a much newer building) seems to require lots of exterior work. Time will tell.

By the way, I got a big kick out of your post where you described trying to get a peek behind Tarzan's loin cloth. Too funny! The first time I saw a Playboy and saw the breasts, my innocence was lost forever. We're hard wired for sex, Bro. A lesbian friend told me how ugly boners were. She said they were weird and disgusting. I laughed and asked about vaginas and pointed out the obvious--sex organs do look weird until you find out which ones you like, then look out baby!

Keep posting Steve, you've got a lot of wisdom and perspective. Stay strong. The Boner.

Posted by: Newly Released ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 09:09AM

I live in Tokyo, and I was actually near the temple today (it's located in a very prominent part of Tokyo (Hiroo) where a lot of foreigners tend to congregate). It's right next to a lovely green park, and the only reason I knew it was the temple was when I randomly saw the golden Moroni peeping through the treetops! I was properly freaked out and went out to look. Yep, it was the temple! It's quite small (in comparison with say Salt Lake..) with very little to no garden space, but I wouldn't say it's tiny. Nothing remarkable about its beauty or lack thereof. It definitely does NOT stand out amongst the surroundings. If I had passed it on the street, I wouldn't have noticed it.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 09:31PM

All this in honor of a sexual predator.

Obscene.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 11:11PM

The linked worked for me. The corporate temple look didn't do anything for me.

I think the average Japanese person would be like, "WTF, this isn't a temple!". A straw mat would be a much better temple than this one.

Unless you're looking for some high end foreign real estate in which to stash your loot. Good hedge against losing tax exempt status.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 11:14PM by bradley.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 11:40PM

Why do they bother to install nearly 50 or more windows on temples when they're non-functional?

Date: July 07, 2016 08:08PM

It is the perfect symbolism for Mormonism. The illusion of open to light when it is a building of being in the dark.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 08:13PM

As others have mentioned, the grounds are quite nice. The architecture...ugh. Ugly and boxy.

What I found most amusing (though I'm not sure the Japanese will) are that the temple is filled inside with paintings of white people (and yes, in mormonland, jeezus is caucasian, being baptized by a caucasian John). And not all religious figures, there's a painting of what appears to be an 1800's american bride in the bride's room. What, they couldn't find (or create) ANY paintings of Japanese "saints?" Sigh.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 11:19PM

Date: July 08, 2016 12:25PM

The most true church on the earth today.

The only belief system to promise that families can be together as families forever.

The church can buy unbelievably expensive land.

The church could embellish and decorate their holy sites anyway they want.

They create a holy site that is dowdy. - priceless

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 12:15PM

Land is so expensive that a major market for golf in myrtle beach is japanese. I heard a round of golf in japan is so expensive it is cheaper to fly to america to play.

Date: July 09, 2016 01:50PM

Wonder if there is a religion of golfing for the dead. It might buy up land all over the world to have members golf for and behalf of golfers who are dead.

At least that makes more sense than doing the same silly signs and gestures.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 02:01PM

Is there a drive-up window, or do I have to go inside to pick up my sushi and sashimi?

I hope I don't have to go inside--my temple recommend expired some time ago and we all know what a pain in the butt it is to get it renewed. Maybe I should stick with Plan A and head to Pizza Hut instead.

Date: July 09, 2016 02:03PM

getbusylivin Wrote:
> Is there a drive-up window, or do I have to go
> inside to pick up my sushi and sashimi?

They are really expensive there, like 10 percent of your yearly income.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 02:39PM

I just want to see the temple film dubbed like a Godzilla movie.

Also, I'd like to see the temple film given the MST3K treatment....

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 07:19PM

The site won't let me post the link for some reason but look up mormon temple monty python on youtube

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 03:53PM

a gold dude playing the trumpet. So, which way does Moroni toot his horn?

Do you mean that it is not Gabriel

Who will warn you,

from early morn you,

will hear his horn rooty tooty tootin

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 04:13PM

Did they give Jesus and John the Baptist in that mural epicanthic folds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicanthic_fold

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 04:38PM

Nice grounds but it doesn't blend in with the surrounding buildings, IMO, and not especially impressive. The 3 large boulders in the sand with the rake marks around them reminds me of one of those 'executive desk toys'. I had to mute the music before I could watch it. All in all, not that impressive to my nevermo eyes.

And I most certainly wouldn't describe the video as "stunning"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2016 04:56PM by cinda.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 05:14PM

Looks a lot like the new Meridian temple in Idaho.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 07:39PM

Awful.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 10:32PM

So maybe "the WORLD has no use for a drone", but it looks like to me that the LDS church made use of one while filming the temple at about 30 seconds in. You can see its shadow going up the side of the temple, or was that an evil spirit?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 10:39PM

Oh, I just hated this video. And the hokey music! Ugh!

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 10:52PM

What a waste of money.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 01:35AM

Looking at the picture, I was waiting for the spider-looking thing to get up on those eight legs and go devouring innocent Japanese as they ran down the street.

Yes, I saw all those movies.

Am I wrong? Tarantula-looking thing!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.