Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 07:30AM

I just watched the gripping documentary "Under the Sun" by Russian filmmaker Vitaly Mansky. The film tracks the events in the life of 8-year-old Zin-Mi and her upper-middle-class Pyongyang family both leading up to and immediately following her joining the DPRK Children's Union, an organization similar to the Soviet Union's Young Pioneers.

The parallels are striking. You see a large number of indoctrinated children making promises and pledges they can't possibly understand at the encouragement of their families and leaders. Upon acceptance to the Children's Union, Zin-Mi and her compatriots are now "accountable for their actions" and are "personally responsible for defending and promoting the Korean Revolution." They have been officially baptized into the state.

You see the DPRK's state religion on full display. Heavenly Father is Kim Il-Sung. Jesus Christ is Kim Jong-Il. The modern profit on Earth who holds all the keys to the kingdom is Kim Jong-un.

Despite much of the footage being staged by the filmmakers' government propaganda minders, you can see the exhaustion in the faces of all the people. They're tired of constantly pledging support to their leaders, tired of routines and rituals, tired of pretending they are living the dream in the workers' paradise.

I highly recommend this film. The cinematography is superb. You feel like you're on the ground in the hermit kingdom. Your heart will ache for the people in the film, and perhaps like me, you'll see a hint of your own personal journey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 02:31PM

Sounds interesting

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 02:41PM

Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 09:49AM

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 11:31AM

Thanks! Found it very interesting.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 12, 2016 02:41AM

Which came First: TSCC or North Korea?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 12, 2016 02:52AM

I saw that, and feel so disturbed and helpless. My heart breaks for those who have been misled, forced, deceived, or all of the above. An entire nation is being held hostage by those sick and greedy men.

If JS and his cohorts had their way, America would have been in the exact same situation. Lucky for us the people of America were not willing to go under the rule of crazy again. They took JS and his buddies out. Too bad they didn't go after Briggy before he made it to Utah.

Lucky for us the leaders of the US didn't let up on that slime ball. They took him to his knees and made him comply. I'm just sorry they didn't shoot the sob instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2016 03:02AM by madalice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.