Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnberwick ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 08:02AM

What's news with you?

JB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 08:22AM

The news hereabouts is that yesterday instead of sitting through the three-hour meeting block at church my wife took my advice and we took our three girls plus their two cousins to a local museum followed by a late lunch at a chicken shack.

The kids loved it. It was important, I think, because the two cousins (mid-teens) live in a very dysfunctional home--drugs, alcohol, violence, absentee father. They're both on the edge--could go either way. I want them to see that there are alternatives to living with chaos--that they can get the love and attention and positive stimulation that we all deserve.

So instead of sitting there listening to someone drone on about the wit and wisdom of Howard Hunter, my TBM wife and I helped some kids get through the day with their souls, minds and bodies nourished. There wasn't enough time before the museum closed to sit through the three meetings, too, so the Mrs. had to decide not to do so. She had to say "no" to TSCC. Awesome that she did, IMO.

The Mrs. not going to all three meetings is big news in our house. I hope it becomes routine.

Date: July 12, 2016 01:40AM

That sounds awesome.

Well done!

Posted by: brigantia not logged in ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 08:48AM

I'm a Brit! It's all happening over here ;-)

Briggy

Date: July 12, 2016 01:41AM

I'll bet.

Which of the two ladies has been elected? (Wait, I'll just google it)

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 09:24AM

I am at St George Island, Florida with four grandchildren. Church so far away......

Gatorman

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 09:33AM

I was enjoying the first sip of a sleepy Sunday morning coffee when my 16 yo son came up and asked if he could have one. I say 'umm, OK' and made him one. I made it weak and milky with 2 sugars cos he's never had a coffee before.

Anyway this morning he asks me how to make it because he really liked it, so I showed him.

Now I'm wondering if I've done the wrong thing, not sure what DH would say about him drinking coffee.

Coffee is awesome.

Date: July 12, 2016 01:45AM

coffee is indeed awesome.

I testify that the LDS Church can not possibly be the true church because it bans members from drinking coffee. No religion in its right mind should ban such a sweet delicious beverage.

Yes Im not sure what DH will think of a 16 year old drinking coffee.

When I was a teenager, I became addicted to Milo. Milo is like Ovaltine (or some other similar substance). I would smash through like a tin a week. After a few months the addiction stopped. But I had a glass of milk and Milo the other day, and made me feel like a kid again.

Perhaps try your son on decaf? (God forbid, I know, it's not the real thing), but he could drink it without the effects of caffeine.

Posted by: idahobanana ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 12:06PM

I'm sitting at my local coffee shop, talking with the cute baristas, and found out that some of them are ex-mos, too. It was a delightful experience, bonding with strangers over a shared liberation.

In other news, I just found out I got straight As for summer school, keeping my GPA at a 4.0 for my Junior year. AND - I got accepted to 2 research labs for fall semester. Setting myself up for grad school well!!! Woo hoo! I had a quad shot espresso to celebrate. Feeling pretty damn good. :)

Date: July 12, 2016 01:46AM

Woo hoo!

Nice work!

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 12:46PM

North East West South. Just working with wife to accept me as I am and not as the ideal she married.

Date: July 12, 2016 01:47AM

Sounds hard bro.

Hang in there.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 01:12PM

Yesterday I was lucky I only had to sit through 1/3 of the torture session.

Date: July 12, 2016 01:48AM

1/3rd of torture is still torture.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 01:27PM

First day back to work after 10 days of vacation.

Went to see "Wide Spread Panic" perform in Bend, OR. I wasn't familiar with the band or music, but it was great, enjoyed every minute of it. Went with an old friend I've known since 4th grade (45 years).

Then went camping for a few days near the Olympic peninsula in WA. My brother in law has been camping on private property for 4th of July for 23 years with a bunch of friends/ family. Beautiful, private 20 acres on the Skokomish river, lots of fun and partying.

Cleaned the garage, made my first batch of home made ice cream (raspberry), and ordered a dutch oven set up for cooking at home and when camping.

Had a stomach flu yesterday so I watched movies all day.

Date: July 12, 2016 01:49AM

Sounds good (except the sick part)

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 01:29PM

Had a birthday gathering for one of our adult kids yesterday. Range of conversation on parenting and other things. Some were talking about swearing in front of the grandkids. One daughter exclained "Jesus Christ" about something and another (TBM) asked that there be no swearing in front on the little ones. Another SIL inquired, "Is that swearing"? The reply was, "it is to us". Then awkward silence. Never a dull moment.

Date: July 12, 2016 01:49AM

Never a dull moment.

Except 3 hours on a Sunday morning. Then it's boring as watching paint dry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.