Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 03:56PM

I have seen it mentioned from time to time in threads here that TBMs lurk here. Does anyone know that to be a fact and/or have proof that this is true? The reason for my question is that I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't be tempted to post(at least I haven't seen any) and also, how it wouldn't destroy their "testimony".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 04:52PM

It might surprise you to know that TBMs are welcome to post here as long as they can follow board rules.

And yes, some do lurk for a variety of reasons. Some are trying to track unbelieving family members and friends (which is why it is often recommended to fudge some unimportant details about oneself when posting here, i.e profession, location, number of kids, etc.)

Some want to see what the apostates are up to, and some are in the beginning stages of questioning the church.

Posted by: Annon4This ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 05:15PM

Yes we do

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 05:30PM

I have been a passive poster and reader of this site for ten years. I have seen many TBMs post. Some just looking for an argument or to ask questions. Most can be found when a thread from two or three years ago mysteriously reappears. This usually this means that some TBM somewhere, while preparing a lesson did the unthinkable and googled some topic or person in church history and found themselves here where they quickly bear their testimony and leave.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 05:59PM

Not all or most, but some who are curious or adventurous.

Sometimes they post which is fine, but they're not allowed to preach or call RfMers to repent.

We used t have high powered church-hired lawyers monitor and post here. Thankfully, they're gone.

We've also had official mormon apologists post. Sometimes they used their real names and other times they did sock puppet posting.

I'm glad it's settled down around here.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 06:06PM

de-converted by the time they spend here. There are many, many RFM regulars who started that way...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 06:11PM

Sure they do!

Where else are they going to find a steady stream of truthful information about the church?

~meditation in the temple?

No way!

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 07:20PM

We should welcome all TBM's. I would like to ask them some questions - like 'tell me ONE thing about tscc that is true.' It can't include burning boobs. Just truth. Mine and theirs.

I have studied the origins of the bible and all major religious origins. If the bible is allegory and Jewish tales of national pride, no religion based on the bible means squat.

Religion is always about money and control. Just like Deep Throat said in the Nixon era: 'Follow the money.'

The most meaningful religious tenents for me come from the Bagavad gita. It's about love and self mastery. Forget the cows, though...Plato is good, too. Try 'The Allegory of the Cave.' Mormons to a T

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 09:39PM

I'm sure the "strengthening of the members" committee (aka danites, or daughters of Zion) have a hole team reading the site daily and printing off and filing any information specifically about any of the bretheren.

(Packers file would have been extensive :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 09:17AM

yep.
they're A-hole teams alright!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 09:52PM

TBMs would really need to be brain dead not to explore what's on the Internet about the LDS church, both pros and cons.

There's probably more lurking here than we'll ever really know.

I've noticed once in awhile some lurkers pop in and post some really pro-Mormon stuff ie, apologetic etc. Or very anti-gay for example, and those posters tend to be vicious in their remarks. Really hostile to ex-Mormons and those who post here.

Then admin finds out and poof! they're gone. Soon enough. Til the next imposter comes along to make their barbs. It's the Mormon online version of "spiritual warfare!"

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 11, 2016 10:35PM

Probably, but frankly I don't care. According to Eric and Susan, this is our own little corner of the Internet to vent our feelings. Here's to good friends, dogs, beer, cussing; and life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness! The Boner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 09:00AM

Agreed, Boner. I hope some Lethbridge and Raymond TBM's are lurking and that it makes them wonder.

RB

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 01:44PM

Way to go, Boner! I absolutely agree. You da man! -edzachery

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: July 12, 2016 11:33AM

I came here as a TBM in 1999 while researching for a Sunday School lesson. When I saw "Recovery From Mormonism" I was intrigued to see why anyone would need to recover from Mormonism.

After six months of reading this site, and researching church history/Book of Mormon DNA, I was out. I have had three of my children resign from the church since then, so due to this site we are slowly breaking the chain of Mormonism in my family.

Posted by: Sega ( )
Date: July 12, 2016 01:00PM

I used to lurk here as a TBM. Last fall I submitted my resignation. I sincerely thank this site and the posters for all the patience and help!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: July 12, 2016 09:16PM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 12, 2016 09:35PM

I sure hope they read this site! Since apostates are so strongly vilified within the church it's pretty hard to get across to TBM's who we really are, what we truly think, and how abominably many of us have been treated. Shunning apostates is just a way for tscc to keep sheltering TBM's from truth, knowledge, and basic reality. Is it such a crime to want to be heard?

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 12, 2016 10:08PM

Thank you all for your comments! The real reason for my question is that I have never seen a post that I thought was probably from a 'lurking' TBM and maybe I have secretly hoped to see one?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 04:45AM

In past years this wasn't the case and the board was in an uproar much of the time trying to clear up muddled TBM accusations and threats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 06:42AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 09:17AM

See this thread. :) A few outraged TBMs chimed in:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1845082

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 11:13AM

Actually it is one troll. I can see the IPs as an admin. Typical troll behavior is to use multiple aliases. I let it stand as his (trolls are usually male) posts were typical apologetics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 11:14AM by Eric K.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 06:00AM

I counted two or three "defenders of the faith" (and I reported one). That was after I put up a reply pointing out how 40 million--the figure Oaks gave for LDS humanitarian aid--was a minuscule percentage of an income of billions of dollars.

Just do the math: 40 million is four-tenths of one percent of one billion dollars...

That one definitely got some Zoobie underwear in a snit...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 06:01AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 06:36AM

I give up. Zoobie?

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 09:06AM

Any student that attends BYZoo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 09:07AM by fossilman.

Posted by: nbhabrlrcr ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 11:37AM

I am so glad I am not the only one that calls them Zoobies!! I live a mile away from campus and am surrounded by them! LOL

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 02:02PM

It's just simpler than referring to them as "Apostates-in-Training" (big smiley face)

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 09:20AM

I poked my head around the door 10+ years ago when I was a TBM. It was filled with scary, angry people then. I ran away in tears.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 11:50AM

The other day I had a ongoing discussion with a poster who had noticed a change in the endowment wording while attending the "temple this week twice". I take him at his word. He may or may not be a TBM (he never stated), but he certainly appears to be an active Mormon. From time to time, I have read similar postings from others who likewise state they are active Mormons.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1843770,1843770#msg-1843770

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 11:52AM by Templar.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 01:59PM

I did during my de-conversion and an many people really helped me here. It is a little difficult to find though.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 02:16PM

Some TBM's read this site because they think they need to know what Satan is doing! Poor things!
They still believe that repeating their testimony will make the claims of the church come true once and for all!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 13, 2016 02:43PM

I know for a fact that people who shun exmos will come on this site to see what the exmo is REALLY thinking. That way they don't have to talk to them, but they still know what's going on.

I think they have a good idea. Maybe their passive aggressive ways will accidentally lead them to the truth. Most of these people have no clue they belong to a cult and that they raised their children in a cult. When they find that out, they most certainly don't want to defend it to the exmo.

Maybe they'll keep reading anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.