Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Greg in LA ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 10:25PM

My first night in the MTC, my district leader told us that the MTC President before our current one (this was 1985) who lived a few blocks from the MTC, awoke one night, because something was wrong at the MTC. He looked over towards the MTC and thought it was on fire.

He got there and as the story goes, there were legions of Satan's angels battling the Lord's angels with swords because, of course, Satan and his minions were trying to get into the MTC, to divert and destroy the Lord's work of teaching the gospel.

He also added that the MTC was 2nd in holiness only to the temple and "don't be surprised if you bump into someone in these halls" (alluding to bumping into Jesus!)

I was really pulled into the story at the beginning, thinking maybe the MTC really had been on fire but I kinda...didn't really buy the story.

A few days later, someone else told me the story, with some differences. I heard the story again a little bit after that. At some point, one of the General Authorities who visited the MTC each week, also told the story, except it was a different mission president. At that point, I thought - "wow, maybe this is real!"

I heard all kinds of stories - the one about Sister Missionaries who had a hard time starting the car after an appointment in a dangerous area, the car finally started and they made it to their apartment. When they got back, they opened the hood and saw that the car battery had been stolen. Later, I heard several versions of the story.

Much later, I realized that maybe EVERYthing I've believed in the church was nothing more than a "story." Nephites traveling from the Middle East to America in submarines...Joseph's multiple versions of the First Vision...and on and on.

Did anyone else hear that MTC story? What other crazy stories did you hear and maybe believed for a while?

Looking forward to cracking up the stories, so please share!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 10:32PM

http://www.moroni10.com/mormon_history/logan-temple-devil.html

BTW, the LTM (language training module) only became the MTC in 1978.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 10:42PM

I heard of two sister missionaries that were teaching lessons to a serial killer (or rapist, I don't remember which) in his house. When questioned later, he said he didn't attack them because he saw that standing behind them were two gigantic Native American looking dudes girded with metal breastplates and armor.

Edit: It was probably a variation of this: http://holyfetch.com/three-nephites-serial-killer/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 10:51PM by bradley.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 10:50PM

There are more urban legends being passed around at the MTC than anywhere else IMO.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:33PM

We were told the legend of "The more sugar you eat, the more times you have creamy dreams."

We'd run across the street to the little market just east of the old health center, which was just across the street from the LTM.

Then there was the legend of the extremely well endowed elder who didn't pack a jock strap, so when his district played touch football, he always scored a touchdown.

If anything religious happened at the LTM, I've forgotten...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 10:31AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then there was the legend of the extremely well
> endowed elder who didn't pack a jock strap, so
> when his district played touch football, he always
> scored a touchdown.

Wow, they're still telling that story about me, huh? Sigh.

:)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 01:29AM

This is the story that I can not believe. So my super prude MORmON parents took me to the MORmON temple before my mission. There I was told to take off my clothes and then while I was basically naked, I was assailed with unwelcome touch in very personal areas - situation that would have been considered immoral criminal activity (molestation) by my MORmON parents in any other setting. Then I was threatened with being killed in very violent and gory fashion IF I did not live up to expectations that I was blindsided with, including being coerced to give up everything that I own or would ever own a THE ( MORmON) church's demand. Then when the creepy temple ceremony was over, instead of being smart enough to strip off the garments that I had been given to wear and throwing them into my male parents face and tell him to shove them up and his stupid MORmON religion up his MORmON ass, instead I went on a two year full time sales expedition to sell this same Bull SHIT. WOW, what a MORmON I was !!!!! BUT NOT any more !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTDKUmI-NOE

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 02:07PM

Of course it is all a non-provable fabrication. Of course a fabrication would most likely be non-provable.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 02:30PM

The same thing happened just weeks before I got there in 87!

Here's the thing about the MTC...
You have thousands of 18-20 year olds, plucked just before their critical faculties are fully formed.
They are committing 18-24 prime years of life that could be used in other very productive ways, so they are looking for any validation that they are on the right path.
Combine that with the groupthink and obedience that is foisted on the kids

...and you have a perfect storm of psychology and sociology where FPR's will be passed around in hushed tones and accepted uncritically.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 02:41PM

When at YBU post mission, and as a student, I worked at the MTC for two years as a maintenance guy. I was all over that place. I had heard faith promoting rumors like this about the MTC, e.g. Jesus Christ walks the halls at night. Can say that I never ever ran into Jesus or any supernatural, paranormal, or special spiritual entities. All there were at the MTC were delusional sheltered young people, with there quads, white shirts, and ties walking around like zombies. Even as a TBM I did not sense or feel anything special or spiritual about the MTC AND NOW I KNOW WHY.

Posted by: blind mule ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 05:07PM

I heard the same story when I went through the mtc 1980. This was passed down to us by mtc teachers while learning the "rainbow" discussions. What do you call these clueless stories, Oh yeah, Faith Promoting Rumors

Posted by: blind Mule ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 05:09PM

Exmoron, the least jesus could have done for you is carry your tool bag. lol

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 07:38PM

I was in the MTC in '81 and heard basically the same story. The story I heard was that one of the GA's had a dream and saw the MTC protected by angels.

Also remember something about the possibility of running into heavenly beings in the hallways.

I remember being skeptical but still brainwashed enough to think that it could happen.

Posted by: Greg in LA ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 09:59PM

Did anyone hear stories about The 3 Nephites? I remember hearing some stories but can't remember anything about them.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 11:06PM

From what I can tell, there never were "3 Nephites."

In fact, there were never ANY Nephites. Or Lamanites.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 01:48AM

I was in the MTC in 1990, and not only was this story told, but it was told in one of those 'Large Group Meetings' by a visiting GA.

Date: July 20, 2016 04:09AM

In the version I heard it was satans minions v. the stripling warriors. The awkward teenage boys from the BoM battling Satans army.

Love it.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 08:39AM

Why did the Stripling Warriors look more like the Rock instead of Napoleon Dynamite?

Date: July 20, 2016 02:07PM

I'm gonna presume that 99.9% of LDS folks have no idea what the word "stripling" means. They base their definition on that Arnold Friberg painting...

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 08:38AM

Why would Satan use physical force to attack? I thought his tools were lies and deception.

They need to get their mythology correct.

Posted by: East of Mordor ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 08:40AM

We must have heard the same story by the same ppl about the same time. I hung on to that one a long time Cuz if that was true then why not all the other "stories". I have always had a thing for 3nephites stories. As far as I can tell everyone can spout off a couple of stories. those 3nephites really get around, and are not shy about helping out only the super faithful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.