Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brett ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 08:11PM

Now there's a 2016 movie (shockingly it's rated PG). I guess the one they made in 2000 wasn't holding up. I grew up in a TBM household in the 1970's and it was mandatory that we go see the play, as well as buy the album. My mother was convinced that I was one of Saturday's warriors. My brother who made it clear he was leaving TSCC when he turned 18, didn't get the same compliment,

http://saturdayswarrior.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 08:13PM by brett.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 08:29PM

(singing)I've seen that movie somewhere before...I've seen this plot before...

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 08:29PM

My SIL's parents just had their 60th wedding anniversary. At the party the dad mentioned how grateful he was that his family members had all chosen each other before they were born.

I tell you, there is such a divide between what the church officially says it "believes" and what the members actually believe. Does this happen in any other religion?

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 09:17PM

slskipper:

I'm not defending Moism, but, yeah, the divide between teaching and belief exists in other churches, too.

Sometime ask a BIC Roman Catholic what they believe versus what the Church teaches. The eyes just glaze over and they answer, "Well, you know."

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 12:35AM

That's true about what BIC Catholics say they believe in, as going by the fact that Catholics are having smaller families, they don't believe in the ban on birth control.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 09:18PM

I think it comes from direct experience, independent of Church doctrine. So, people from lots of religions would believe it.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 09:19AM

"I tell you, there is such a divide between what the church officially says it "believes" and what the members actually believe."

The thing is, Joseph Smith preached the idea of "soul mates" in the pre-existence. It was a line he used on women to induce them to become his plural wives.

However, in a 1977 sermon, Spencer W. Kimball said:

“Soul mates” are fiction and an illusion; and while every young man and young woman will seek with all diligence and prayerfulness to find a mate with whom life can be most compatible and beautiful, yet it is certain that almost any good man and any good woman can have happiness and a successful marriage if both are willing to pay the price."

So the whole "Saturday's Warriors" theme was dissed by the church's president during the very era in which the play became popularized.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2016 01:44PM by randyj.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 09:16PM

Rated PG for scenes of excessive piety. But, there's good news! SW will lead to a new church essay on how we did NOT choose our parents in the pre-existence. The Boner.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 10:10AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rated PG for scenes of excessive piety.

PG in this case stands for "Pious God-stuff" Not suitable for young children, parental guidance very much suggested.

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 11:54PM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 01:29AM

Godawfulmovies (podcast) recently reviewed "Saturday's Warrior" (the 1989 movie). They pretty much poke fun at everything and everyone in it. One of the reviewers said, "This movie was "Fiddler on the Roof meets an anti-abortion clinic activist"."

I was in the chorus of the South High School run in the early 70s in SLC, and I practically memorized the whole play. Wow! was I a different person back then! I loved the show at the time, and I made sure all my family & close friends came to see it.

But I also fell in love with the director, and he and I lived together for a year. Such memories, and such inner turmoil! I'm not sure how I made it through those times.

Posted by: Gaëtan Dugas ( )
Date: July 20, 2016 01:45AM

TQB.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.