Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 09:25PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 08:21PM

...Spencer W. Kimball and Vaughn Featherstone made their denunciations of Adam/God in the 1970s. That was during my most rabid TBM days, and I idolized Kimball and Featherstone. Funny thing was, I, like most other TBMs, had never read Brigham Young's original sermons in the JoD. Kimball's and Featherstone's, and later McConkie's statements on the issue made it sound like the whole thing was the product of misunderstanding of Young's statements by fundy Mormons like Ogden Kraut.

It was interesting to learn that it was John A. Widstoe who originally edited Adam-God out of Young's sermons, and those edited (falsified) versions have made their way into the official publications since that time.

I liked some of the comments on the article:

"with Adam God, it seems indisputable that Brigham Young taught something very different from what is currently taught. And the fact there has been a well-orchestrated cover-up lends credence to the idea that the LDS Church is fully aware of just how different Brigham Young’s teachings were. And how problematic the issue remains."

"It is sad to discover more and more the depth and breadth of the irresponsible, childish and amateur behavior constantly and consistently within the highest hierarchies of the church."

"Couple that with the insistence on following the prophet and you have the makings of a perfect storm."

"I was a missionary decades ago when I was first confronted with the concept of Brigham teaching the Adam/God theory.
I trusted quotes by Joseph Fielding Smith and Bruce McConkie to defend the church from the evangelicals who were spouting “lies” against poor brother Brigham and the church. How sad I was to learn that the evangelicals were the honest ones and I had been duped by my prophets. Lesson learned."

"In a strange twist, Church leaders saw the best way to protect your faith in them was to spin, prevaricate and cover-up the truth. Only by keeping the truth from you could they protect your faith in them. Predictably, however, when you discovered the truth, your faith in them was harmed. This is why I feel the Church should never have ventured down this road in the first place, and why it is I feel they should cease continuing to do so. These types of issues are exactly what Elder Boyd K. Packer was referring to when he said, “There are some things that are true that are not very useful.” We trust the people who tell us the hard truths. It is time for the LDS Church to attempt to regain the faith of its members."

Duh, how can any Mormon continue to have faith in the church's leaders, when the leaders have taught false doctrines and then their successors lied about it for over a century?

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.