Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 01:22AM

I was watching the directors cut and even though many critics didn't like it as much as the original, I was happy that the movie got rid of the "mental illness" angle and rather directly addressed the free choice vs. destiny (God) argument inherent in time travel.

A good movie for agnostics, atheists and believers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonofperdition ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 06:48PM

I remember watching this movie as a TBM. It was watched after curfew as well in BYU approved housing. Haha we were such badasses back then lol!

After we watched it we all discussed what we thought about it. All of us were very confused on what we perceived the meaning to be. However, it did help us to think outside the box.

One of the main points of the movie is that things aren't always what they seem. Subconsciously and indirectly, we all understood that. But like typical programmed Mormon's do, we all brought the meaning of the movie back to the church!!! We were clueless in that regard.

As I watched that movie as an exmo, it is incredibly ironic and funny to notice the similarities between Lying Joe and Patrick Swayze's character Joe Cunningham.

I won't tell you what those similarities are so I don't ruin the movie. This movie is a must watch exmo classic. I definitely recommend it.

Date: July 25, 2016 08:42PM

That's hilarious. You gotta love the "Mormon mindset" that has to encompass everything, even movies. Once you leave the cult, the thinking goes way beyond Mormon nonsense

I think why I liked the directors cut so much is that is grappled way more with the issue of free will vs a pre-determined outcome, and the paradox that presents in time travel. The scene where Donnie talks with his science professor becomes much more central to the movie when Donnie decides that there can't be a paradox of time travel if you only stay within "Gods channel".

By removing the mystery of whether or not Donnie was "crazy" the movie suddenly becomes a completely different beast. It's also interesting when his therapist tells him that his pills were placebos. She thinks she has "cured" him when really he has just accepted his fate and decides to "fix" the tangent universe back to the primary universe.

What I believe occurred from the beginning of the movie is when Donnie wakes up in the middle of the road, it is because he decided to have free will and chose a different path, thus creating the tangent universe. By following the "God path" he then resets everything back to the primary universe.

Anyhoo, it just gave me way more to think about this time than whether or not it was all imaginary.

Date: July 25, 2016 08:46PM

You should check out the movie Meloncholia. The second act of the movie left me pondering my existence in the universe for days.

Very intense film (even though the first act was ridiculous)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.