Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 09:14AM

Since Pioneer Day (July 24th) was on Sunday this year, did the party get moved to today Monday July 25th? Is today a holiday for Utah?

Does anyone outside of Utah care? If you are outside of Utah and care about Pioneer Day, WHY?

I remember as a kid living in the mission field (what a stupid term) the Utah transplants would get upset there was no celebration on July 24th. Some years the ward would have a parade around the block at church and the neighbors knew we were stupid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 09:53AM

Until I lived in Utah for a few years I had never heard of Pioneer Day.

While we were there, we tried to make it a point to get out of Utah for the day, usually to Wendover or Mesquite but it really didn't matter as long as we weren't counted among the celebrants of BY claiming the SL valley as "the place".

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 09:58AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1850558

Monday is the official state recognized Pioneer Day. It was however, celebrated all weekend long throughout Utah. Where else it would be celebrated would be the Mormon communities where they continue to predominate such as the Morridor part of Idaho, as elsewhere.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 10:08AM

I like the old joke that says there are three other states besides Utah that celebrate Mormon Pioneer Day. Illinois because the Mormons left. Nebraska because they kept going. And California because the Mormons stopped before they got there.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 06:59PM

California also celebrates because those Mormons who did come here went back to Utah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.