Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 02:44PM

Even as a TBM, I had issues with the general deification of Moroni.

He was really poor at time management, not completing the plates until well after the war with the lamanites. He should have seen it coming and finished his work so he could participate in the fight.

Then he spends the rest of his life running like a coward from the lamanites, who somehow knew that there was just one more person out of hundreds of thousands they didn't get to.

He should have died for what he believed in, instead he ran away with his tail between his legs.

Now he's adorned in gold on the top of temples? For what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 02:45PM

Moroni is a Phony.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 03:38PM

"Now he's adorned in gold on the top of temples? For what?"

Every temple needs a horny gold member.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 03:42PM

"I'm from Holland. Ishn't that veird?"

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 06:32PM

helamonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I'm from Holland. Ishn't that veird?"

Gold Member. He lost his member in unfortunate smelting accident!

-humor is golden Dennis

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 02:23PM

I don't speak freaky deaky Dutch!

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 03:43PM

This post has some serious problems in that the OP is missing some key facts.

There is more to the story about moroni that should tell you more about his character. He did die fighting, maybe it wasn't actually defending his people, but he took a lot of lamanites with him, here is proof:

"At a meeting at Spanish Fork, Utah Co., in the winter of 1896, Brother Higginson stated in my presence that Thomas B. Marsh told him that the Prophet Joseph Smith told him (Thomas B. Marsh, he being then President of the Twelve), that he became very anxious to know something of the fate of Moroni, and in answer to prayer the Lord gave Joseph a vision, in which appeared a wild country and on the scene was Moroni after whom were six Indians in pursuit; he stopped and one of the Indians stepped forward and measured swords with him. Moroni smote him and he fell dead; another Indian advanced and contended with him; this Indian also fell by his sword; a third Indian then stepped forth and met the same fate; a fourth afterwards contended with him, but in the struggle with the fourth, Moroni, being exhausted, was killed. Thus ended the life of Moroni."

So there you go, he was a registered bad ass until the day he died, he totally deserves his place on all those temples...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 04:07PM

Damn the Europeans for confiscating all the Native Americans' swords!!!! Damn them!!!!

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 06:29PM

.....that the Lamanites are the ancestors of the American Indians after all! Seeing as how the quote calls Lamanites "Indians" five times.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 02:29PM

So these 6 "Indians" hunted him, ambushed him, then make classic kids show bad guy mistake and attack him one at a time while the others waited.
I can just see them dancing back and forth menacingly like Power Ranger baddies.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 02:37PM

well, they are lamanites, not the smartest group of people in the world. Classic bad guy mistake to take a bad ass like moroni on 1 on 1, and not rush him as a group.

If you go to like, Iowa or something you can actually find the ancient battle ground where this happened. He was fleeing ancient upstate New York after burying the plates in the hill cumorah that joseph smith would eventually dig up and then not use to translate the book of moromon when the lamanites caught up to him somewhere around Davenport.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 03:50PM

All that effort and dying to protect a set of plates that weren't even used to produce the Book of Mormon. If I was Moroni I'd be a bit cheesed off.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 04:45PM

"...measured swords with him"

Oh, so that's what the kids are calling these days, eh?

:-)

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 06:51PM

".....measured swords with him"

Oh, so that's what the kids are calling these days, eh?

--
My reply:

No, that was said in the quotation from 1896, not 2016.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 06:56PM

"Horace, what were you and Winston doing out behind the carriage house?"

"Uhhhhh...we were measuring swords, Mum."

:-)

Posted by: too hot to log in ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 08:35PM

It wasn't that Moroni was a coward, it's just that he had places to go and things to do. For example, Moroni was the guy who first dedicated the Manti temple site. He was just all over the place, y'know?

And he couldn't even kill six Lamanites? I mean, they were being all sporting, offering themselves up one by one, instead of simply filling him with arrows; Ammon could have taken out ten times as many, all by himself!

Moroni died because he just didn't have the faith of Ammon. And because the Three Nephites hung him out to dry.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: July 25, 2016 08:43PM

Indians had swords?

What the hell....

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 03:30PM

pathfinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Indians had swords?
>
> What the hell....

That's what I was thinking too. I've been around for a while and I've watched lots of western movies. I don't recall any Indian ever having a sword. Could it have been a pirate Indian maybe? On vacation from the Caribbean?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 03:27PM

All the above, but look at that picture of him in the Book of Mormon. Moroni had one bad-ass horned helmet!

BTW, Vikings did not have helmets with horns or wings--those are just inventions of costume designers for Wagnerian operas! Hie-ya-yo-toe-ho! The Boner.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 04:02PM

DID have horned helmets. So, while Vikings may never have worn them, Vercingetorix and his men opposing Julius Caesar likely did.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:06PM

As long as they were singing Wagner, I have no complaints about what they were not wearing :-).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.