Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nevermo4 ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:06PM

Has the church not now made gay/lesbians,children of gay/lesbian couples and certain feminists and church 'critics' feel so unwelcome that it surely does not want them attending their church?

The sign 'Visitors welcome' is more than a little misleading don't you think?

To further add to this,people here have speculated, probably accurately, in the past that investigators actually aren't that welcome without the supervision of the missionaries.

Maybe some past missionary could confirm this.

I'm a Nevermo.Pretty sure I would get some very strange looks if I showed up to the small lds church up the road from me next Sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:12PM

Like much else in the church, it's a PR stunt.
One that doesn't really count for anything in reality.
Another false face to show the world, with no substance behind it.

"Visitors Welcome. Except gays. And no homeless people. And no feminists. And no Democrats. And if you have too many ear piercings or tattoos, you're outta here. And no ex-mormons, of course. And...damn, I need a bigger sign..."

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:15PM

Should read "Suckers Welcome".

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:28PM

Mormons want to know in advance who is attending so they can assign someone to guard them to see that they're given sanitized explanations and don't go away doing there own independent analysis.

You're also right that mormons don't want "unacceptable" visitors to drop in.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:31PM

Just like North Korea.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:32PM

What religions DON'T welcome visitors? Specifically stating "Visitors Welcome" implies there might be reasons visitors would not be welcome. You know, like at Mormon temples.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:39PM

I never in my lifetime EVER saw someone just drop in to attend services at any ward I was in. Very very seldom, someone would be there with missionaries, but even that was rare.

I remember once I was visiting a family member in the midwest. A woman who was an investigator, was there in RS. The missionaries had brought her. She was dressed in a very nice pantsuit. But, oh, my, the discomfort she felt in being there in pants. I felt so frustrated for her. Why the missionaries didn't let her know that dresses were the norm for mormon women to wear to church, I do not know. I am SURE she did not join the church.

Posted by: Nevermo4 ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:40PM

Haha both first posts made me chuckle

Gotta love this sign too

http://www.mission.net/tennessee/nashville/pix/1150073958_test.jpg

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 06:50PM

Visitors off the street, are not welcome.
Only visitors that have been well prepared by the missionaries are welcome to come to the meetings!

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: July 26, 2016 10:02PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 03:30PM

Exactly. Otherwise, they'll have a female visitor show up in slacks, or a male visitor wear a colored shirt with or without a tie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 03:30PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: amongthetombstones ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 07:16AM

No, everyone is welcome. Didn't you know, there are no gays, they're just confused and mislead by Satan /s.

I can't imagine they'd WANT investigators there without someone holding their hand for the process. The worst thing for the church is for someone to go at it with a clear mind. They direct attention to everything that benefits them, and hide anything that doesn't. The ONLY way to covert to Mormonism is to feel you're already missing something in life, and to believe their side of the story on everything before you're even in. They do NOT want visitors, they want validation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 07:17AM by amongthetombstones.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: July 27, 2016 05:20PM

If visitors were really welcome, they'd have meeting times posted for everyone to see!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.