Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Takrina ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 01:51PM

Good Day all,

I will try to be quick, about how i fell in this trap. (Please excuse my writing, as I’m not native English speaker)

I'm From Dominican republic, and used to be a catholic until i was about 17, but due to things i did not like about it, i just quit that religion, and started to just claim myself as a not religious believer of God. Well, now I’m 28, and Missionaries came to my home last Jan (7 Months ago), and i welcomed them with my mom *which is a devote catholic), however, i knew plenty of Joseph Smith backgrounds and was always skeptically with them, as almost 10 years ago, i learnt with other missionaries about their doctrine, but i did not believe anything due to my own reasoning and research, and they stopped visiting us. But this time they got to convince me (at the last moment).

I’m still in shock when i see the pictures of that baptism last Saturday, it's hard to believe that regardless all the times i said NO to them, that i did not want to be part of any religion, that i did again my own research, and discover new odd stuff about the church, question them a lot, and that i had never felt the spirit with them (as i always told them), i ended up giving up on my denial, i have to say that i got along with the missionaries very well, and we developed nice relations (Epic fail i guess), but that was never a reason to not tell them my thoughts and that I did not believe the things they did.

One of the things that i think gave them green light, was that i was very curious this time, and as i have some neighbors that are Mormons, I asked a family to take me to church one Sunday, after that i kept going (not always, but frequently, even though my plan was just being an investigator, until i quit assisting to church, They were very interested in me changing my opinion, they took me to about 4 baptisms (to see if i could get motivated by that) and i even went to Missions president’s house (which i found too ostentatious, compared to the many struggles these missionaries are going through due to lack of money), i just did not know that MPs were paid by the church.

The thing is that during the past 7 months, they had given me 3 baptisms dates, which i refuse obviously, i also told them that they could stop coming to my house if they wanted cause no way i was going to get baptized, the last date they gave me was last Saturday 30th, and my interview was supposed to be on Jul 23th (a week before) i did not go to, and they went to my house, where i told them i was not going to take it cause i was more doubtful than before with their religion, SO they went, but another fact, one of the missionaries that started with me at first, was promoted to Zone leader, and finally to MP assistant (due to the so may baptisms he had performed), even though he went to another zone, he was always checking up on my progression, so when he found out i did not go to the last interview, he told the missionaries that i should do the interview even if my answer is negative, so they called me on Sunday 24th to do the interview that same day, or at least on Tuesday 26th (4 days prior the white night of baptisms), i told them i would do it on Tuesday, well that interview lasted almost 2 hours, and at the end i end up signing the paper (due to a question I asked the interviewer, as I had been having terrible nightmares, and as an idiot thought this may could help me), but when I went home I still felt I should not do it, cause I just did not believe the Joseph Smith story at all, so I said to myself I would not do it anyways.

Finally, last Saturday 30th came, and I was in total denial, I was sure I wasn’t getting baptized, cause they came to my home the day before to finish filling some paper, and I told them NO, but they were ignoring me, and not respecting my decision like if my desire did not counted (they were also avoiding me the days before, in order I couldn’t tell them I changed my mind), they told me that I should be at church at 5.30 PM, So that Saturday at 5:31 pm (so that there wouldn’t be chance to have them pushing me) I sent them a message, telling them that I was definitely NOT ready to do this and to no wait for me. But even though they were already staring their white night baptism, they went to my house to convince me to do it, they were at my door and I did not answer, so they called me and I came out, I kept saying NO, but the last alternative they had was make a very nice 72 year old woman, that we used to visit a lot and that they had baptized, to convince me (that lady is not brainwashed, cause she is sick and almost never goes to church, and also still consider herself as catholic, but she has been very nice with them, provided them food etc.), so I went with her.
Finally at the chapel, they gave me the baptism clothes, and I had a meeting with the bishop, almost 30 minutes inside, who also convince me to do this, even when I told him all my worries. And I did it. Like an idiot, like a ROBOT, as someone going against herself. I felt weird, that woman also went with me to get the confirmation of holy ghost the Sunday after. I felt worst. How can someone follow something they don’t believe in??? That was ME  HOW DUMB!!!

Missionaries went 2 days after this, and I did not had the chance to tell them in their faces, how bad I felt by taking this decision under pressure, but I sent them a message (hope they had seen it), and I’m also contacting the bishop, in order to not register my name as a member of the church (too late, cause he told me they already did). I had cried about this and I am So Pissed at myself as never been before, I hope I can help others with this experience, and also myself, in order to never do something like this again. But the fact is that is done, I never want to go back to that church again, and have told that to some members who were congratulating me (how ironic). 

Sorry for not keeping my promise of being ‘’Quick’’ but there is just so much going on through my head 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and If you have some advice, will be well received, even though, what is done is done.

Best Regards,

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 01:54PM

Send in a letter of resignation.

I, too, succumbed to being baptized against my better judgement. I had told the bishop that morning that I didn't want to be baptized (I'm a Christian). He said that my name was already on the program. I should have stuck to my guns and said no.

I felt better after I officially resigned. I don't want to be counted among those who are LDS. It's a cult started by a skirt-chasing conman. It made me feel ill to be part of it.

Good luck and don't beat yourself up over it. They use high-pressure tactics and are master manipulators.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 02:01PM

The missionaries are good salesmen, they never take "no" for an answer. I know -- I was one.
But, yeah -- resign. Don't let them talk you out of it.
I was a member for 21 years, and I'll tell you flat out: it's an insidious, ridiculous cult. Your instincts were correct to not join. Don't beat yourself up over falling prey to their high-pressure tactics, just get out and be done with it.

Best.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 02:05PM

As you have come to see, the Mormon church is very pushy and aggressive when it comes to getting new members.

It would be in your best interest to resign. Otherwise, they will keep sending people to your house to pester you. Complete directions for how to resign can be found here:

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

You can resign by email now. It is quick and easy. The entire process may take up to two months, but you are legally out of the church once the church receives your resignation.

You are welcome to read and continue posting here if you wish. I think it is important for you to understand why you fell victim to the Mormon missionaries.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 02:09PM

¡Que pena deben de tener eso pendejitos misioneros! Es como querían venderle un carro usado...

Haz me un favor, dígales que tú tío, ElderOldDog, te dijo que tienes que alejarte de los mormones, y que si tienen problemas con ese consejo, que me visitan aquí, y deles esta "dirección."

Ahora veremos que tan grande es el interés de eso jóvenes ya que eres otra estadística.

¿Sabes si cualquier de esos misioneros tiene un "blog"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 02:11PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 04:14PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
showoff :)

Date: August 04, 2016 04:23PM

Hey, I'm trying to sell her a car...

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 06:06PM

^^^^^

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 02:28AM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 01:55AM

ElderOldDog, if you charged on a per-laugh basis, you'd be rich and we would be poor! You say some of the funniest things!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 02:09PM

In my opinion, the moment you told the bishop you did not want your name registered you were no longer a member.

However...there are links on this page that tell you how to resign. You can do it in a simple e-mail.

I am sure folks here who have recently resigned can help you.

In your letter I would state that you told your bishop you were resigning on what ever date it was.

Good luck to you

When church members start visiting/calling you. Simply tell them you have resigned from thd church.

Posted by: not logged in for this ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 02:14PM

It's all right, Takrina. We all make mistakes. That's just part of being human.

You've just learned a valuable life lesson in what can happen to you when you don't stand up for yourself. Now you know better, and it's made you stronger than you used to be.

The missionaries never cared about you, they just wanted to make their sale. Like everyone says, you can fix it by resigning. Church members may still pester you, but I bet you finally have the strength to resist them.

Best of luck to you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 02:57PM

They're like the worst kind of used car salesmen! Shame on them!

You're going to have to be strong and very tough when you tell them NO.

"I have made up my mind and I won't discuss this. I will not be mormon. Please leave and respect me. Goodbye." Then firmly close the door.

NEVER take their calls and NEVER let them into your house again.

Send in your letter of resignation.

"Sirs, I am resigning from your church effective immediately. I regret joining and will not be changing my mind. I want no more contact from anyone representing the mormon church. Sincerely, Takrina."

Don't let them push you around. You have every right to resign and you do not owe anyone an explanation or apology. Good luck.

Your English is very good. Well done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 03:48PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 03:22PM

You came to the right place for a pep talk to get unbaptized!

Just do it. Then treat yourself to something nice, and thank your lucky stars you wised up.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 03:23PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 04:13PM

I resigned and told them in my resignation letter that I had a lawyer helping me. That made them respect me more. Luckily my uncle was a lawyer so I didn't have to pay him anything if I'd used him. But I didn't have to use him because they behaved after I told them I had a lawyer. If you have a lawyer friend or family member get them to help you if you have to have any talk with the Mormon church. They respect the law and behave themselves.

But you really don't have to talk to anyone to resign. Just send a letter with your name and membership number to your bishop saying you have resigned your membership as of now. To speed it up you can call him and say you will not change your mind and send a confirmation letter right away. Then just wait. You are out the minute he receives your letter or email. Getting the confirmation letter just gives you something to prove to everyone you are resigned.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 04:20PM

Come here for encouragement if they pressure you again.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 05:58PM

They will come by and bother you for a while, so be aware and ready for that. Best wishes to you, Takrina.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 06:18PM

You do not have to go to church or see anybody in the church or talk to anybody at the church. Just because you were baptized there does not make you obligated at all.

Simply do not go.

Then, as the others have said, it is best if you can formally resign so they will stop bothering you. But even now, you are not obligated to be involved with them at all.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:00PM

I joined the Mormon church when I was 18. I had spiritual ups and downs; and during an up time, I met my wife. We were married in the temple. A couple of years later, I realized that I didn't believe in Mormonism. My wife's total commitment is to the church and not to our marriage.

We have been married over 30 years, but most of it has been very hard because she still believes and condemns me as a covenant breaking apostate.

Please read what others above have posted and RESIGN from the church. It will be much easier to do it now. If you don't resign, the leaders will constantly harass you. In my case, it took me years to resign because I was trying to avoid divorce and not hurt my kids.

Mormon leaders only have power over you if you give it to them. Take back your power and simply tell church leaders your mind is made up.

Very best wishes!

Posted by: zoe ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 02:47AM

Te entiendo 100%!!!
Yo naci dentro de la iglesia, no literalmente, pero en mi pueblo en mexico eramos poco pero como una familia. Cuando cumpli 8 años no tuve otra opcion mas que bautizarme.
A mis 27 años, despues de 1 divorcio y de que mi ex-marido me robo mi green card, pedi la anulacion del sellamiento y me dijeron que no, que tenia que hablar con mi esposo y aceptar sus "gustos" (me resulto homosexual)
Muy triste entre al internet a buscar ayuda y encontre con que todo era mentira. Toda mi vida se me fue. Me lavaron el cerebro desde que tengo uso de razon. Llore por meses y mande una carta para que quitaran mi nombre de los registros de la iglesia, en 2 meses deje de ser miembro de la iglesia.
La mitad de mi familia todavia cree que lo soy. Es muy raro que lo hagan publico, asi que tal vez solamente el obispo sepa que quieres borrar tu nombre del registro. Yo lo hice por carta fisica.
No pasa nada, solo manda la carta y no contestes ninguna llamada y listo! Adios pesadilla!
Cualquier cosa, aqui estamos toda una bola de quejumbrosos que nos ayudamos y animamos en esta pagina!!!
Mucha suerte y no te desanimes, fue un error el cual se puede resolver. :)

Date: August 05, 2016 06:47PM

¡Epa!

¿Que barrio?

Posted by: zoe ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 03:02AM

En sonora mexico, al norte de sonora. Un pueblo chico llamado Caborca, esta cerca de una medio famosa playa llamada Puerto Peñasco or better known as Rocky point.
Right now i live in Las Vegas NV.
My TBM family is on their way to visit my atheist home, which they have no idea we don't believe in God. BTW i live with my boyfriend so it's a big shock.

Date: August 08, 2016 03:25AM

Mi papá era de Nacozari, que según Google Maps está a casi la misma distancia de la frontera, pero al lado éste del estado, al sur de Agua Prieta.

¡Casi eramos vecinos!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 01:51PM

Hi Takrina. I am sorry this happened to you. It's common that Mormons don't listen to people as they view us as inessential tiny cogs in their gigantic wheel.

I regretted my baptism before I even left the font. It took me three years of "trying to make it work" before I gave up and quit attending. I didn't want to think I had made a huge mistake. I didn't want to be a quitter. I didn't want to renege on commitments I felt I had made. I didn't have any clue how horrible it would be to be a convert in the Mormon Church.

I can understand the pressure one can feel to be baptized as I have felt it myself. I didn't view myself as a pushover when I was meeting with the missionaries. They did nag and nag at me to "get baptized now and ask questions later", like J. Wellington Wimpy saying "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" - but Tuesday never comes as regards any Mormon anywhere ever answering a single question for me, in any form I could understand, anyway. Rather, the missionaries would meet me in the chapel and plug in a video. I was left wondering when do we get to the part where they answer my questions? (Never). The primary "elder" doing the "discussions" with me told me that I had been a holdout (not consenting to baptism) for four months, a "very long time" he said, as most people get baptized before the discussions are over. Mormon friends (who I knew from work) were hosting the discussions in their home and the guy I knew from work told the missionaries to back off and quit nagging me so they did, for a while.

If they had kept nagging I think I would not have gone for it but when they did back off and so the pressure lessened, unaccountably I felt more inclined to do it. I was fairly desperate to get baptized, for reasons I can't fully explain even now. I was focused on the baptism part of things, not the being Mormon part. I had heard from evangelical friends (who pushed Walter Martin - fundamentalist EV Christian author) that Mormons aren't Christians but to me that was a tired old argument and I didn't see any evidence (or read or study much about it) of that. I went with my inaccurate assumption that Mormonism is another branch of Christianity and that the EVs were unfairly biased against them. Later, of course, I read the earlier Mormon "prophets" and leaders who rejected the Christian label and vociferously insisted that they were decidedly NOT Christian, but Mormon (they have changed that refrain since those days).

I was so looking forward to being baptized. As I didn't know anyone in the church except the one Mormon couple (I had met the husband through work) and as my family weren't interested in attending a baptism service (I hadn't actually even told them about it) ALL the missionaries in the zone and beyond attended my baptism.

Even though I had been going to a few meetings prior to the baptism night I hadn't met the bishop or any of the leaders, just all the missionaries, who were thrilled that a former EV Christian was getting baptized. I regretted after that a sizeable number said how much my baptism had strengthened their "testimony". A few church members I didn't know also showed up.

I was waiting in the hallway in my long white dress while the bishop I hadn't met talked to my friend from work who was going to baptize me. A man from the congregation who I also didn't know came up and said "you look like an angel. I am so looking forward to this." As the wait grew longer and I was alone in the hall I started to feel really creepy. Then I could hear the bishop yelling at my friend, who finally exited and walked past me, absolutely white-faced and staring straight ahead. I went into a little room in the dark, by myself, and wondered how to get out of this mess. My friend's wife came and found me and told me the bishop thought I was having an affair with her husband. "But", she said, "you are going to walk into that chapel and the baptism is going to go ahead". I was in shock and not thinking and I just went along with it.

The bishop gave the intro from the pulpit, smiling and saying nice things. I felt terrible to see such hypocrisy in action. Two minutes previously he had been yelling at my friend. He wouldn't let my friend give the post-baptism talk he had prepared either. He had come back from an overseas business trip early just to work on the talk that he put a lot of effort into but never gave. (The bishop's excuse was that the talk was about me and it is supposed to be about the church).

My friend, his wife, and I were both sitting at the front of a packed chapel. I felt completely humiliated, as if everyone knew what the bishop had said and done. To me, an EV Christian, the thought of having an affair with a friend's husband was so awful, so "sinful", and it was the furthest from the truth about us that the bishop could be.

I didn't know what to do, couldn't think, so when the bishop told us to proceed to the font, we did. My friend did baptize me, without us saying a word to each other. To add injury to more injury, someone said my dress had floated up so the bishop told us to do the dunk a second time. I got right back up and zoomed out of that font and into the dressing room and whipped off the long white "angelic" dress.

There was no party, not even any light refreshments. Everybody knew something was wrong but they didn't know what. Somewhere in there someone told me I could no longer attend that chapel as it wasn't in my area (it was the one my friends went to so they had taken me with them). They expected that I would transfer to the chapel in my area (still, far away from where I lived, in a town without a Mormon chapel). I had never been to a church before that wouldn't let you decide on which building to attend, according to your own preference.

Later, my work friend told me "it's your fault" and offered some convoluted logic for his statement that I have yet to understand. Some weird Mormon thing about how we ask for the trials we undergo in life. Needless to say, our friendship did not survive.

After intense work by new missionaries, who came to my house, I did go to the new chapel. (More pressure). Meanwhile, the work friend had told the bishop what happened at my baptism and the bishop (also a convert) called me in and said that he could understand why I hadn't kept going to church after such a bad experience. That was the biggest factor in why I tried to stay and make it all work out.

It may not sound like much to get upset about and I'm skipping a lot of details, after all these years, and having told my tale a few times now on this board, but to explain some of it, I was a very sensitive, intense and rule-oriented kind of fundy-type religious person in those days. I thought I had messed up my previous baptism (as a JW, that I had loved and forget now why I had wanted to have another baptism which to me, especially after how it went, meant I had also messed up my first baptism - taken away its meaning to me) and that I had to keep the "promises" I had made in the Mormon Church and I wasn't used to just quitting and walking away from obligations or commitments. So I stayed in for three LONG years that only increased the pain and prolonged the confusion.

I had other bad experiences that don't matter for this post. I eventually felt quite depressed, which is what finally propelled me to leave. (And the "depression" instantly lifted).

So, I had profound regret before I even exited the font but I tried to continue on for three years of weird stuff that I could never make sense of. (Lies, for one thing, make me feel disoriented and powerless).

So, I understand the pressure and the pain and regret. I would always advise that someone listen to their feelings about this and leave right away rather than staying in a bad situation. I don't know how anything could counteract an initial terrible experience.

I agree with the other responses that say don't beat yourself up, go with your gut, get out right away, chalk it up to experience, and don't let them nag you by failing to formally resign your membership.

I have never bothered to resign as they have largely left me alone - as glad to see the back of me as I was to get away from them. But. Your post has pushed me over the top. It shows how bad their proselytizing efforts are and how it's not about the individual, it's all about the church. I appreciate summer's link showing how to resign and I am, at long last, going to do it.

I hope you get out soon, Takrina. Do it and don't look back. It's them that should feel bad, not you. Live and learn, and all that. Good luck to you. Keep posting if you want to talk about it some more or let us know how you're doing.

Date: August 05, 2016 06:34PM

I think Takrina and many others learned for your experience and I appreciate your courage in sharing it. You're right, mormons tend to see new members as cogs, not human beings with needs.

It might be difficult to withstand pressure to leave but the sooner it's done the better because it becomes increasingly more difficult.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 05:17PM

I always appreciate how supportive you are, to many people on this board, Cheryl.

I was surprised to find how distressed I felt recalling all that baptism stuff - yet again - after all this time. That's the way it is when something painful doesn't come to a decent resolution, I guess.

However, I can't remember the location of the chapel I was baptized in or the old or new bishops' names, can't find my member #, threw out the long white dress. So that is progress of a sort!

I don't know if this will be a problem for my official resignation I am sending in this week but I guess I'll find out. Name and DOB should do it, you'd think, and general location.

I guess I am SO LUCKY they have never pursued me to return. Once I left, that was it. Amazing, when I read the stories from others here. Lucky too that family were not involved. It was all very painless for me in those regards. I feel for those who try to balance family considerations with exiting the Mormon Church.

As for me, my family was happy after my first exit (JW) and after my second exit (LDS). I won't need to exit a third time as I *think*, hope and am fairly sure I have learned my lesson. THREE BAPTISMS - one as an unwitting participant as a babe-in-arms in a Catholic church, and then my own two choices as a teen and then an adult, none of which stuck with me. I figure at this point that God (if/R U there God?) gets the message - I wanted to be baptized!! Times change, we move on, and now I'm over it. In a manner of speaking.

I think.

And hope.

:)

You'd think I would have run, not walked, out of the Seattle temple the first time I went to do baptisms for the dead there three months after my own ill-fated Mormon baptism. I guess I thought that doing it again, in a different context, would wipe out the bad one. But I was literally praying the whole way down there, "Please, God, no white pantsuits! Of course there WERE pantsuits. Fortunately, I had brought the white floaty dress that I had purchased for my baptism - I didn't want to wear rented used clothing. But I was the only one in a dress. Ewwww. Horrible. Nothing screams CULT more than white pantsuits. You'd think they'd realize that. And I must have started to have an inkling of what I'd got into if I feared that the temple/baptism for the dead place would be full of folks in pantsuits.

Still, I persisted, and went to the temple a year later in SLC to "get my endowments". I still have zero clue what the HELL that even means.

Every time I had a question after that, the missionary or RM, HT or bishop would say, "But you've been to the TEMPLE". Again, I didn't know what the HELL *that* meant either but realized much later they meant (1) you shouldn't have questions and/or (2) you should be able to find the answers yourself or (3) you shouldn't care.

This was in the pre-Google days, with no library access at the chapel I attended, and the closest church book store was across the border in another country.

So that's my excuse for the choices I made at the time, both to get baptized and to try for three years to stay in. It helped to realize that I didn't understand the "commitments" I had supposedly made (the temple prep classes were useless) and so I felt, despite my strong rule-oriented personality, that I wasn't bound by the "covenants", which I couldn't name under threat of death - Just.No.Clue what it was all about. I only learned that by finding RfM. Many thanks to the RM I met at my previous EV church who alerted me to the existence of this board. It may have been the first thing I ever looked up on the WWW.

Good find.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 06:06PM

Listen to the people who advised you to resign. When you resign, the church people will leave you alone.

Be strong. We are with you!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 07:12PM

It's OK.

Just unbaptise yourself.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 07:21PM

You are so smart!!! Be proud of yourself!!! Resign don't pay any tithing don't get married in the temple and send your kids on missions. It took my many many years to find out that the church was false and you found it out right away!!!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 27, 2016 04:24PM

Is there an update?

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 11:53AM

"I had told the bishop that morning that I didn't want to be baptized (I'm a Christian). He said that my name was already on the program. I should have stuck to my guns and said no."

Reminds me of 2 situations. Princess Diana stated she was having second thoughts about marrying Prince Charles but her "name was already on the tea towels." We know how that turned out. I was having second thoughts about marrying my now ex and was told, "look at all the people helping you and all the invitations that went out." I moved forward and 8 years of abuse later.....

RUN!!!!

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 03:28PM

Everything the Mormons did in this circumstance was inappropriate and wrong! They completely and totally disrespected you and manipulated your emotions! And they will continue to do that if you stay in the church. Don't be hard on yourself for making the decision you did -- you were under emotional duress because they were manipulating you. That is their fault, not yours.

Now that you are an official member, though, you can leave permanently and force them never to bother you again. Resign using the official letter that is available on this site. Let them know firmly that according to United States law, which they have to obey because they are based in the United States, they MUST remove your name from their membership rolls and should NOT contact you again for any reason or have any member contact you, not even missionaries. They should NOT try to get a local Bishop to talk to you. They should simply remove you from their membership immediately and not harass you again.

Posted by: AfraidOfMormons ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 07:12PM

Congratulations on knowing the truth! You were conned into a hoax cult, and now you are making your life right, again. That takes courage!

The sooner you resign, the easier it will be.

You were NOT "dumb." The Mormon missionaries are professionally trained, drilled, and rehearsed in sophisticated sales techniques. They are pro master manipulators. Mormon missionaries are taught to prey on people's weaknesses, for example, if they are away from home, or just lost a loved one.

Take courage in the knowledge that the LDS cult is NOT of God. God and Christ, and the principle of Love--are not part of the Mormon religion. The Mormons want your money! That's all.

I hope you can still keep the good parts of Christianity, if you need that in your life. Most legitimate religions allow members to come and go as they please. They don't use cult tactics to force victims to sign papers and pay 10% of their earnings.

It's a fraud! Run!

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 10:47AM

I'm sad to hear how disrespectful these people were. I would suggest you resign and never give them a listening ear again, they obviously don't listen to a word you say, and they don't care. They took advantage of your kindness and politeness. You do not have to answer to these people. Apparently they dont care about you.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 03:32AM

That MORmON baptism, However STUPID will in no way taint your soul. The thing that MORmONISM (LDS Inc) REALLY wants is your
(THEIR) money. If you just got baptized, then you have not spend a lot of time paying offerings to LDS Inc. Cutting them off before that ever gets started will do miracles cutting down your embarrassment over being sucked into their deal.

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: August 27, 2016 07:24PM

There have been a few sensational stories like this in the last few months and once the story gets several passionate replies the OP never replies with follow up. The OP always fits the same M.O....naive, makes poor and uninformed decisions, poor language and spelling skills, won't say "no", often frantic and begging for advice and the story is long and repetitive.

I know that LDS Inc. preys on this kind of person and they are very aggressive; however, these stories are strikingly similar and rarely, if ever, have any follow-up. IF this is a real situation I am sympathetic to their plight and hope they find relief soon.

People who post more realistic situations describe incredibly relatable things that are palpable and resonate...the more sensational posts are always over-the-top.

I am not saying that people don't have dire problems with TSCC I had a few...but I call BS on this one.

Date: August 28, 2016 01:02PM

I've been reading an posting since about 2000 and haven't seen a totally new subject or situation in the last 10 years or so. I've seen this one come up occasionally and I think it's very plausible. Saving someone like this from the clutches of mormonism is one of the best uses of bandwidth in my opinion. Hopefully, others in this situation will see it and be forewarned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.