Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:09PM

Yup, he was asked the big M question. This is the top thread on the other forum. The irate dad recorded the hour long interview with the bishop. You can listen to it there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:14PM

I wish someone had given me a clue about the delights of masturbation back then! I had to wait another three years to figure it out on my own...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:19PM

An hour long interrogation for an 8 year old. That despicable.

I would have stepped into the bishop's office and taken my kid out after 15 minutes.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:55PM

The recording was a conversation between the dad and the bishop, the kid wasn't there.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 04:01PM

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 04:30PM

I would never allow my child alone with a bishop. Period. Nope!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:35PM

How about a link?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 03:54PM

Maybe I'm clueless, but I don't know what the "other forum" is. I know it's a banned word, but how about a not-banned hint?

Date: August 12, 2016 05:03PM

All I can say is think big, like what is a huge conglomeration of forums about hundreds of topics? Exmormonism is one of the categories.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 07:05PM

Red the colour and then write 'dit'. They have a great ex-Mormon forum with over 30,000 subscribers. Not sure why exmormon.org has problems with them.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:37PM

Yes, please share the link.

Date: August 12, 2016 02:46PM

I hope the put it on facebook. Investigators need to be informed of what they can/will do to their kids. Here is a link of what they did to a grown woman, how degrading is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk8bD7is_ng

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 03:14PM

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:42PM

The report was from 2013, not that it makes it any less ridiculous.

The father talked with the bishop for an hour (not the 8 year old) about not wanting the bishop to ask the boy about masturbation.

What I did I a similar situation when told by the bishop that he was required to ask as part of the interview was to explain that if he did I would report him to cps and the local police.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:53PM

Man, I blew it. I should have studied psychology, got my therapist's license, and moved to Utah. Coulda made a killing listening to Mormons.

Posted by: justforfun ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 12:03AM

NOW THAT IS FUNNY ! The LDS also bother LDS. We could all use help. You listen to the news and Mormons are the only people on earth who help anyone or do anything good at all.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 03:07PM

Back when I was eight, in 1960, when the bishop asked if I had ever "played with myself," I knew what he meant and I knew enough to lie about it. (I figured doing it and lying about it were sins that would be washed away.) I also knew enough to lie if he were to ask whether the girl down the street and I had ever "played doctor." Or whether on the first day of first grade the girl sitting next to me had unexpectedly pulled aside her panties and said, "Look at this!" (It would be another thirteen years before a girl ever did that favor again. And I lied about that, too.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2016 03:09PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: samanthakayee ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 03:51PM

Shocked if the kid knows what chastity means. My middle son when we joined the church was just turning 12 and had no idea what they was asking. He got it mixed up with the WOW and said well I do but my dad does not because he chews. Bishop found it funny enough to tell me about it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 03:59PM

Sorry, I was trying to post the link to the audio, but was unable to. Click on the blue word "here" on the original post on the other site.

The interview lasts for an hour, but you can get the gist of it within the first five or six minutes. The bishop states to the boy's father that he plans to ask the boy (among other questions) if he touches himself in his private parts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2016 04:01PM by summer.

Date: August 12, 2016 04:31PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry, I was trying to post the link to the audio,
> but was unable to. Click on the blue word "here"
> on the original post on the other site.

summer -- *what* other site?

Can you post its name, with a few characters replaced with a *?
I can figure it out from there...:)

Date: August 12, 2016 04:36PM

Is it newnamena* ?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 05:46PM

The red site.

Date: August 12, 2016 05:49PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The red site.

A clue I got! :) Thanks.

Date: August 12, 2016 06:05PM

Let's see if the transcript (which isn't on the red site) will post:

http://bishopsinterview.blogspot.com/?view=classic&m=1

Date: August 12, 2016 07:39PM

Date: August 12, 2016 08:37PM

If you haven't listened (or read the transcript yet), do so.
It's not only disgusting because of the original topic (asking 8 year olds if they touch themselves), but the conversation ticks off all of the narcissistic, cult-control crap that mormons pull. Every single one.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 04:33PM

The bishop is a jerk-off.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 04:33PM

Well, I'm listening to it now and the father asks about how the boy might become confused about "touching himself" because he has to when he goes to the bathroom; the bishop says "of course", but then says "when the natural tendency comes and you know it's wrong".

Ah, the natural man is an enemy of god.

He sure goes on and on about Satan. This bishop has a big pitcher of Kool-aid he drinks from regularly.

Cult much?

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 05:00PM

Hope the dad presses charges then

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 05:37PM

Having listened to the recording I'm impressed how the Bishop
plays the victim in this whole thing.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 11:42PM

Yes! Every manipulation trick in the book. (I didn't listen, but read the transcript.) Guilt, fear, shame, "authority", etc.

It's part of the same pattern that was mentioned in another thread about mothers not being allowed to hold their own babies for a baby blessing *even in their own homes*.

TSCC's message is: You, as the parent, have no authority over decisions for your own kids. Only the church has the legitimate authority to make decisions for your children. We will decide who may be present and what role you will play and what questions will be asked. If you do not fall into line, it's the same as throwing your family right into the clutches of Satan. Wow.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 05:44PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 05:56PM

I never had that interview when I turned 8 in 1956. We just went to the church and dad dunked me. No clue about spankin' it at age 8. Age 10...different story.

RB

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 05:57PM

There is absolutely no reason someone should be asking, thus shaming, a child about masturbation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2016 05:57PM by laurad.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 07:18PM

I really do hope that bishops are not that stupid to ask those kinds of questions of an eight year old. Just too bizarre!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 09:26PM

I don't understand why any parent would want their child to be baptized into this so-called church"! Maybe it is more difficult to comprehend because I'm a nevermo?

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 04:12AM

So many times I think of how much I would love to be back in the church to be able to tell the leaders to pound sand and jack with them. But truth is that many in Texas aren't idiots like other places, like U-fucking-ta. I could still fuck with the mental defects that I encountered while I was in. But come to think about it, I actually did back then and what a bunch of really socially-inept fools.

Then I remember how much time I wasted there and noooo, I don't want to give them even an minute of my time just to hope for the best moments to screw with them. I'll just wait until I see one at the supermarket and let them know how happy I am without them fucking with my life.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 04:06AM

Amazing how the bishop feels like he's in the right...and not even asking the questions as directed--he improvises based on his belief of what an eight-year old would understand--and it's sick. I had no idea that this was being asked of kids.

In my opinion, it's not so much about getting at sinful behaviors, it's at conditioning youth so they feel ashamed about their bodies and for later control when they are older. And older means their whole lives.

The father sounds very submissive yet it's clear he's intelligent and sees through this whole load of crap. I would have laid into the bishop and told him no, you will not ask these questions. No? He can't be baptized? No problem, I'll let everyone know what kind of sick questions you want to ask. I'm his father and regardless of your "calling" I won't allow it, you sick bastard.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 02:08PM

Bishops are not supposed to ask about that for 8 year olds. The Handbook says:

"A bishopric member who interviews a child for baptism ensures that he or she understands the purposes of baptism. He also ensures that each child understands the baptismal covenant and is committed to live by it. As guided by the Spirit, he could ask questions similar to the first two that are asked in convert baptism interviews. In asking other questions, the interviewer should bear in mind that children are accounted as sinless before God until the age of 8."

In other words there's no set list of questions to ask and there's no reason to ask them if they have committed any sins, including sexual sins.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 02:33AM

That is so inappropriate. Can you imagine if a school counselor, principal or teacher brought something up like this to an Eight year old Child. There would be a big uproar. This is not developmentally appropriate bringing up chasity to an 8 yr. old. Sick church.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 02:53AM

I don't have the Clifornia Penal Code in front of me, but it seems that asking a seven- eight-year-old those questions borders on sexual assault. At least "Annoying A Child."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.