Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 11:54AM

I grew up in the church. seminary. Mutual (now called Young Men's & Young Women's) , Mission , married in the temple ...yadda , yadda , yadda . Lied to keep from getting in trouble. Lied to get to go out & have a good time. I could go on & on & on !! I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
This is part of the reason my own children (Now grown ) knew , and still know to this day , that they can tell me or my Husband ANYTHING. What's hilarious about it all , is when my kids were teenagers, all of the teenagers in the ward LOVVVVED it at our house because they knew that I accepted them where they were right then in life. Like I said earlier , I could go on & on. Now I prefer NOT to lie at all. If the church doesn't like what I do or how we live , they can go F'ck themselves & it won't be any skin off of my Arse !!
Anyone else feel this way, or go thru this ??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 12:01PM

They have to pretend they are better and more devout than they are to keep a temple recommend and to get along with the bishop and other members.

They have to lie to non-mormons about what the church teaches. They water it down until a convert is indoctrinated enough to overlook the stranger beliefs.

Mormons must lie about how much they like their wardmembers, but when anyone leaves they don't care much. They're required to lie when they give public prayers and testimonies because the truth would stir up controversy.

Date: August 14, 2016 12:07PM

Exactly , Cheryl. When you're young in the church you're damned if you do, & damned if you don't !
Everything you said is SPOT ON . Exactly.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 12:14PM

Yes. The Mormon "worthiness" interviews and expectations make you either a liar, or a shameful sinner.

Nobody (especially kids, teenagers and young adults) should have to put up with that shit.

I saw what happened to my friend when he confessed to sleeping with his girlfriend (now married 30 yrs). The public humiliation he went through before being "allowed" to serve a mission was a real eye-opener for me and was one of many things added to my shelf.

Fuck Mormonism. Bastards.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 12:37PM

Yes- having to lie regularly to get along in that church also helps break a person down psychologically. It damages a person's moral compass. In TSCC, they place a lot of emphasis on being honest, while at the same time punish honesty and reward deceitfullness. It appears to be very deliberate.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 01:16PM

Date: August 14, 2016 05:41PM

Topper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 02:21PM

Back in the 80's or early 90's, a requirement to hold a temple recommend for LDS BYU faculty and staff was instituted. Soon after, a BYU professor (as I recall) wrote an anonymous letter to the editor of the Provo Daily Herald lamenting this. He basically stated that it would just turn many of the faculty and staff into very skillful liars if it meant keeping their jobs.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 05:49PM

My problem was I COULD NOT lie for the big things (temple recommend, baptisms for the dead)because I was so naive! People wouldn't know, but Jesus and God would know. I was used by many people blindly believing they were being good Mormons too.

I routinely told the truth in bishop interviews of how unhappy I was and couldn't understand why because I was doing my best to keep the commandments.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 09:39PM

And the extension is the longer a person stays in and the higher up the ladder they climb, the more they have to lie, both to others and themselves. The Big15 all received multiple Gold Medals in the lying Olympics from their peers.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 11:40PM

The 12 man lying medley relay. They're so good because they work so hard at it.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 12:19AM

The truth is the Mormon Church and its leaders, past and present, have not passed the worthiness standards and expectations we expected of it so we (all of us who have been enlightened) have excommunicated the church. The church has a history of lying and then lying about lying. The biggest thing it has going for it is a gullible membership.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 04:43AM

.....and when we were children, our parents made such a fuss about punishing us - not for being naughty or whatever, but for lying about it.

My parents were the ones who demonstrated being 'economical with the truth', but when a child follows this example, they have committed a serious breach of trust and must be severely disciplined, apparently.

'don't do as I do, do as I say' seems to be the mantra. It is no wonder we felt deceived, betrayed and trapped.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.