Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Aspen ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:33PM

As an exmo (10 yrs out), I don't get involved in too many conversations with or about Mormons any more. However, recently it came to my attention (again) that there's a fear of dying among the general Mormon population. I find this most intriguing for a few reasons: (1) the afterlife (as they see it) is much better than this life and (2) on the whole, they don't take care of their physical bodies very well which can lead to early mortality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 11:37PM

Can't say that I have noticed that there is any more, or less fear, of dying that is different from the average person who is not Mormon.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 12:56AM

I see more women dreading death because; polygamy.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 01:07AM

Most people are afraid of dying. It's a difficult subject to broach with most.

With Mormons what makes it more difficult IMO is the warped mindset they have of death and the spirit world aka afterlife, that only they have the keys to get themselves back to God, and the rest of us will be lucky to make it to 2nd or 3rd heaven, if we're not deemed to be Sons of Perdition - in which case we'll be zip lined to Outer Darkness.

I believe that most Mormons will be very surprised to find out that heaven is not as segregated by religion, or who's married vs the singles.

If heaven exists, and there is an afterlife, there's going to be enough room for every one at the banquet.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 04:46AM

I don't fear death, but I'm not excited about the dying part.

Posted by: Garbanzo W. Beane ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 08:07AM

No.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 11:44AM

I haven't noticed whether or not Mormons are afraid of dying any more than the rest of the human population is. If anything, they seem to look forward to it because they say that the afterlife is better than this one.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 12:23PM

My Dad is in really bad shape. I've asked him why he just doesn't surrender and go. His fear? Judgement. He doesn't want his life to be played on the big screen for all to see. He's afraid of JS and Jesus saying he wasn't good enough for the CK. I think that sentiment is common to all mormons. 'If I could just do a little more to prove I'm worthy.'

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 07:41PM

They know, with a greater degree of certainty than that of their testimonies, that they're not worthy, based on the ground rules they claim to believe in.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 21, 2016 05:49AM

That's so sad and troubling, incognitotoday. Sorry you have to be going through this with your father.

My dad was inactive LDS for quite a few years leading up to his death. He still believed in parts of it, but had rejected the parts of it he couldn't accept. That gave him a modicum of peace and acceptance he might not have had otherwise about the afterlife.

I had signs one a couple years before he died that a group of very close family was coming for him from the other side. And another after he died that he was in heaven, singing with the angels. Sans mormonism aside, he's at rest in his eternal home, I have no doubt. It wasn't his being a Mormon that saved him. It was his reverence for life.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 12:29PM

I'm far less afraid of dying now (when I have no idea what--if anything, will happen to me) than I did as a believer (when I was certain that I "knew" what was in store).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 05:43PM

The temple is primarily used for dead rituals and every week at church members are reminded that they will die and they need to worry about being judged in the afterlife.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 05:50PM

I found the LDS to be very comfortable with going onto their next existence. My personal concerns are always for what I have left for those still living.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 07:04PM

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 08:02PM

I agree. My CES friends/colleagues and I used to discuss it and at the time and we were all afraid!

Leaving the church, becoming disenchanted with religion in general (for myself, not speaking for anyone else), made me fine with death.

My conservative Christian friends seem terrified with death too.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 08:59PM

For all their talk of "knowing" about the hereafter, they're just as afraid as the next person. Now that I am out, I don't have a fear of it anymore. If there's something more, great. If there is not, then no big deal.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 10:42PM

The Hinkster was scared of death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2016 10:48PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 21, 2016 08:37PM

He was absolutely terrified, probably screaming for mercy inside as he pondered his many and varied sins.

Hinckley had been in charge for almost 30 years, and could only maintain his position with underhanded attacks on his rivals. And then he suddenly remembered there was a higher authority than himself! It must have been an awful experience finally giving up the ghost, and then to be cuffed, booked and searched on the other side...

Posted by: anon here ( )
Date: August 20, 2016 10:51PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.