Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 12:35PM

someone who claims that god is omnipotent and is also good & evil? That may solve Epicurus' dilemma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 12:46PM

"omnipotence" can be easily debunked with the simple question: "Yes or No, can your god destroy itself?"

If yes, then it's not powerful enough to withstand its own attack, therefore not "all-powerful."

If no, then it's not powerful enough to destroy itself, therefore not "all-powerful."

"good & evil" are arbitrary terms that require a subjective perspective. there can be no "objective" good & evil. theists generally attempt to say that their 'god' decides what is good & what is evil, but that's just pushing the arbitrary decision back to one person, 'their god' which is still subjective.

so, "omnipotence" "good" and "evil" are nonsensical attributes theists give to a god they can't demonstrate actually exists.

Date: May 06, 2011 01:24PM

chulotc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "omnipotence" can be easily debunked with the
> simple question: "Yes or No, can your god destroy
> itself?"
>
> If yes, then it's not powerful enough to withstand
> its own attack, therefore not "all-powerful."
>
> If no, then it's not powerful enough to destroy
> itself, therefore not "all-powerful."

Yes, the old rock too heavy idea. If I weren't such an atheistic agnostic, I'd like the idea that god already destroyed him/herself as portrayed in simple fashion by Scott Adams in God's Debris.

> "good & evil" are arbitrary terms that require a
> subjective perspective. there can be no
> "objective" good & evil.

I may need a primer on this. If there is a god who made all the universe, I would think it possible there are absolutes on "good & evil". But without god, I agree, it is subjective. Even with god, it could very well be subjective.

But you made an absolute: There can be no objective good & evil. That seems to break a rule that is being made in the same sentence. Sorry, probably my confusion.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 03:27PM

Jesus Smith Wrote:
> > "good & evil" are arbitrary terms that require
> a
> > subjective perspective. there can be no
> > "objective" good & evil.
>
> I may need a primer on this. If there is a god
> who made all the universe, I would think it
> possible there are absolutes on "good & evil".
> But without god, I agree, it is subjective. Even
> with god, it could very well be subjective.

Even god's ideas of good and evil are subjective. How is killing wrong for us, but it was okay to commit genocide with a flood and kill many innocents, because he was mad at a few?

Why was Pharaoh punished for committing adultery with Sarai? Abraham pretended she was his sister! God punished someone for a crime they didn't know they were committing! Where does that fall in the "good" and "evil" scale?

You can be evil and not know it?

God confuses the terms more than he defines them.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 03:29PM

"Yes or No, can your god destroy itself?"

Nah, TBMs can beat this by saying "yes, he can allow himself to be destroyed (by himself) or not." He can do any number of crazy things, but he would cease to be God, and chooses not to. Omnipotence is a relative and fuzzy term.

Date: May 06, 2011 03:34PM

the general 'god attributes' claims don't apply to kolobian deities since they are only exalted aliens. kolobians don't use the word 'omnipotent' the same way other theists do. the kolobian version of omnipotence is that god has "all the power that can be had"...

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 12:48PM

... XLR audio connectors, its really quite simple.

A "spike" of equal yet opposite value (good/evil) travels down two independent conductors and cancels itself out.

If god is both good and evil, then he simple cancels himself out.

What kind of "omnipotent" being does something that stupid?

Timothy

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:49PM

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 12:55PM

Since 'God' was/is invented by people not worrying about logic, the problem doesn't exist for them...

Posted by: anon... ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 01:01PM

Great hypothesis, I would love to see the evidence that they draw their conclusion on!

I have just as much evidence that Humpty Dumpty is both good and evil.

Date: May 06, 2011 01:05PM

The Dumpster is cool!

Timothy

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 01:07PM

If good and evil are arbitrary and subjective terms, then what's to stop people from doing things that Hitler, Stalin, and other dictators have done? Does what they did even matter, should we even care what they did, or is it all just relative? Were they good, simply because their society called them good?

Date: May 06, 2011 01:13PM

hitler, stalin, and other dictators don't hold a candle to the atrocities commited by gods such as the god of the bible.

as a species we can make reasonable assessments about how our collective and individual decisions affect our survival, but that's just from the perspective of our species or individuals within the species.

in the grand scheme, we are just one species on one planet in one solar system of one galaxy of one local group of one galactic filament of one universe.

how can we pretend that our actions matter in any kind of "objective" sense? in order for our decisions to matter we have to narrow our field of vision to a tiny scale. that is subjective.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 03:35PM

You are saying that good and evil are subjective, yet at the same time you are calling the acts committed by a make-believe god in the bible atrocities. These genocidal acts were committed by people who believed that what they were doing was right. So what makes those acts atrocities? And shouldn't we as a species here on the planet earth try to make sure those acts don't happen again? Or do we just let one dictator after another repeat those same acts? By what set of values do we operate on as a human species if there is no good and evil?

"as a species we can make reasonable assessments about how our collective and individual decisions affect our survival, but that's just from the perspective of our species or individuals within the species."
I agree with what you saying here, our decisions are either motivated by our own self-interests, or for the survival and benefit of whatever collective that we belong to. But isn't there anything more to it than just survival? Are there not any values that cut across all human collectives?

Date: May 06, 2011 03:44PM

Yes, in my subjective opinion, and I think most people would agree with me, the acts commited by the so-called god of the bible are atrocities. Their only purpose is to preserve one tribe at the cost of destroying others.

Of course, if you were to ask a hebrew at that time (assuming for the sake of argument that the story is true) I'm sure they would disagree and appeal to their god for justification.

Ensuring the survival of the species implies a lot of things, such as making said life enjoyable and free of suffering, which in turn allows more freedom to develop technologies that extend life spans and cure & prevent diseases.

Also, developing technologies that allow us to overcome our current biological limitations.

Survival is complex. I don't see the problem with making decisions that ensure the collective survival of our species.

Posted by: corrodedinnervessel ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 03:11PM

Apparently not God. So far the only thing to ever stop them is a bunch of other humans going to war about it.

Date: May 06, 2011 03:21PM

in fact if history has shown us anything it's that 'gods' are generally responsible for most of the behaviors we see in people like hitler and stalin.

hitler was catholic and although what he did to the jews (in my subjective opinion) was "evil", it's nothing that the jews hadn't previously done to the amalekites, midianites, moabites, canaanites, and other non-special un-chosen peoples whose only mistake was living in a land the hebrews believed they were given by their 'god.'

what's "good" for one person may be "evil" for another. as social animals we collectively decide what choices to take away from each other and bribe certain members of the group (cops, military, public officials) to enfore those rules through force & fear. it was only a matter of time until someone, somewhere, made up a god or gods to give their subjective perspective more weight.

*please don't pretend that I was saying catholicism was the reason hitler did what he did. although catholicism is responsible for the crusades and inquisition, i don't believe it was responsible for the holocaust. i just don't like when people pretend hitler didn't believe in jesus, that's all. his faith in the white god was evidenced in his speeches and eugenics campaigns...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 03:23PM by chulotc.

Date: May 06, 2011 01:08PM

In what way would you say, 'God' is discussed logically in the Bible, or the other Holy Scraps?

Date: May 06, 2011 01:10PM

How is the concept of 'God' discussed using logic with the ones willing to believe - like for instance the children in TSCC homes?

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 01:18PM

It is the only reasonable way to resolve monotheism with evil. Obviously, if there were a god, he/she/it would be both good and evil.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 01:39PM

Which is that the pantheon's of antiquity (including the ancient jews) weren't as stupid as they might seem in their fondness of petty and cruel gods. Life obviously is unfair and cruel. Mischevious dieties follow from ordinary human experience. It's the later all-benevolent god that is the more stupid idea (less in touch with experience), and it goes to show in what direction theology is taking us - it just becomes more and more retarded for every century - until we reach modern day mopologists who cannot differ between a tapir and a horse.

Date: May 06, 2011 01:42PM

it's so quiet at work right now and you made me laugh out loud. everybody's staring at me... :P

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 01:32PM

Replace 'God' with Santa or The Flying Spaghetti Monster or any other imaginary entity... and state their claim right back at them.

"Well I claim that Santa is omnipotent and is also good & evil."

They are equally (in)valid claims.

Date: May 06, 2011 03:00PM

spaghetti oh Wrote:
> Replace 'God' with Santa or The Flying Spaghetti
> Monster or any other imaginary entity... and state
> their claim right back at them.
>
> "Well I claim that Santa is omnipotent and is also
> good & evil."
>
> They are equally (in)valid claims.

Yes, but that isn't very productive in a discussion with someone who actually takes the god delusion seriously. This person I am discussing with actually conceded the idea that god can not be omnipotent and all righteous. She decided to give on the idea that god must also be the source of evil.

Hence my question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 03:00PM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: foreverhuman ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:40PM

I would just say that if it is true that god is both good and evil, then his evil side likes the fact that I don't believe in him. Of course this would be followed up with a maniacal laugh as I walked away. Too many theists (and atheists for that matter) take themselves too seriously. I don't need to feed their egos by also taking them seriously.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:41PM

Wait, that's impotence.

Nevermind.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:55PM

MI VIDA!! YEAH i know ya dont know spanish!~

Date: May 06, 2011 02:57PM

maria Wrote:
> Wait, that's impotence.
>
> Nevermind.

Agreed. Omnipotence and evilness make for a very good jolly time in bed. I should know...lol

Date: May 06, 2011 02:58PM

That was a good one, maria!

Timothy

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 02:48PM

The Non-existant have no qualities at all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.