Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 12:14PM

I've tried everything! My inkjet printer will NOT print. It is wireless, shows it's connected, prints the page, but nothing on it..test pages show blocks of color but NO words. I know it has to be some issue of communication but I am NO techie. I did the troubleshooting, cleaned the printheads etc.

HP support page says they don't support my model anymore...what the he*l does that mean? Gadfry.

Someone please point me to someplace or someone I can call....please! I am ready to throw it in the garbage can and it's a fairly new printer!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 12:29PM

I would turn it off completely and then disconnect the power cable from both the wall and the printer. Then reconnect the power to the printer, to the wall, and finally turn on and try it.

I work in IT and I'm surprised at how often completely disconnecting the power fixes printer problems.

Date: August 25, 2016 01:30PM

I did the unplug thing. Everything looks like it should work fine...but.it.won't.print. It has been working fine for years and then suddenly the other day, it just stopped.

I checked the port. It is a weird one..says WSD-2 WSD Port. I have never heard of that so wondered about it.

I am seriously considering the laser printer idea.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 12:30PM

Sounds like a fine example of planned obsolescence! HP, and others, make a huge profit from the ink. In fact, they should give the printer away free. I decided to ditch the inkjet and go with a laser printer. I have a mono color at home and color at work. Best decision I've made. The color laser was about US$225. Best wishes!

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 12:40PM

gemini Wrote:

>
> HP support page says they don't support my model
> anymore...what the he*l does that mean? Gadfry.

IT speak for if it doesn't work, we don't care go buy a new one. Also happens to large companies with software systems. Upgrade or you are on your own.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:31PM

One final thing you might try, especially if you've recently upgraded to Windows 10.

Go to the "Device Manager" select your printer and delete it. Also delete any short cuts you created to access your printer.

Go to HP and search for Window 10 "Drivers" for you model of printer, hopefully it's available.

Follow the bouncing ball for installing the drivers and installation of your printer.

I had a problem with the 2540 deskjet, I had installed the drivers for WIN10, but had a short cut on the desktop to pull up the printer to scan documents. That short cut was for the printer when I had Windows 8.1, and by clicking on the icon, the computer reinstalled the old drivers and everything quit working, ie printing, scanning.

Good luck.

Date: August 25, 2016 01:39PM

yes, we did upgrade to windows 10..I will try that! Thank you!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:42PM

if it was a horse you would have to shoot it.

PC load letter ! What the hell does THAT mean ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD2xBXm4y70

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 02:12PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:47PM

We have two HP printers, one older than the other.

Their tech support sucks.

I will never buy another HP printer.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 01:53PM

Did you try praying?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 05:03PM

I re-installed the software for my Canon MP600 printer when my Dell laptop with W10 wouldn't recognize it. Works fine now. Try that.

RB

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 05:26PM

I downloaded new printer drivers when I upgraded to Windows 10.

I have had an Epson printer for the last five years and I would never to back to HP. The Epson is economical to run due to the individual color cartridges, and unlike my former HP, it never jams.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 07:02PM

I'm glad I never through anything computer or electronic related. So I had the installation disc and it all went tickety boo. I needed it to be able to access the scanner function. My printer BTW is a 2008 model. It was been bulletproof through tens of thousands of pages of print.

RB

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 06:03PM

I have a Brother mono-laser printer. After upgrading to Win10, it beeps every time it prints a page; it never beeped before.

Yeah, a nice, loud 'beep'! Works just like normal, but with a beep...

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 06:12PM

I've had weird problems with one of my hp printers in the past. I remember one time it wouldn't print, but it still had ink. I looked up the printer model and the problem, and got some ideas from online technie help forums.

But it's been so long that I can't remember exactly what the problem OR the solution was. Sorry I can't be more help!

Date: August 25, 2016 08:48PM

I give up. I have tried everything that the troubleshooting sites etc have recommended.

It's like it just decided to die. R.I.P.

Now, what printer brands should I consider that are good for non-techie people?

TIA

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 06:46PM

As I stated above, I'm a fan of Epson inkjets (I've also had a few HPs.) Epson is economical to run because it uses individual color cartridges. That way if you have only run out of blue (cyan) ink, you don't have to replace all of the colors at once, just the blue. Plus in five years the printer has not jammed once (unlike my HPs.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 08:51PM

I like inexpensive: Brother laser printers. Even the replacement cartridges are comparatively inexpensive.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 25, 2016 09:27PM

What ever printers you look at, compare the cost of toner cartridges (laser) or ink cartridges for the different makes and models.

It can make a sizeable difference over the life, 3-5 years, of the printer.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 02:43PM

My mother's wireless printer would not work.

The cartridge was dry.

Posted by: srichardbellrock ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 02:48PM

Did you try replacing the black ink. I have found that even if my computer says that the ink is full, if I haven't used it for a while, the black ink stops working, and needs replacing.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 02:59PM

I'm sure you already thought of this but did you clear the printing cache? Sometimes printing jobs get caught in a loop. Also, did you reboot your computer as well as the printer?

I have an HP Envy 4500. Perfect if you don't use it a lot. I do buy the XL cartridges. They last longer.

Date: August 26, 2016 05:57PM

Just the black? Yes, it says it is full but it is worth a try. I also have a call into my computer guy. He comes out to the house and he has helped with issues on our computer before. Never asked him if he knows about printer issues. I haven't heard back from him as he works full time with a big tech company, but I will report back.

I have probably tried so may troubleshooting fixes that I have probably screwed it up worse than it was.

Also, do printers only have a shelf life of 3-5 years? I bought this one about 4 years ago I think. Gadfry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.