Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 04:47PM

However, I'm not, because I find it unethical.

Anyway, I was a high school oops baby. Mother was mormon, father was Catholic. Mormon grandparents whisked mom off to Colorado and I was adopted out, and my dad's rights were trampled on.

According to real dad, he was told by my maternal grandparents that I "was going to be raised mormon."

I've been an atheist-turned into an apathist since I was 16. Now that I know this about my origins, I secretly want to be baptized Catholic just to spit in my arrogant maternal grandparents' faces.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 05:05PM

Evil would be actually hurting your grandparents in some way. This, however, is just sending a message.

However, my question is..."Is this the right thing for you to do for YOURSELF?" After 60 years of living, I've found that the most effective way to seek justice (or even revenge) is just to LIVE WELL. Forget them. They have no more power over you unless you give it to them. Hate is not the opposite of love, apathy is. Making them invisible in your life and thoughts is a way more effective weapon than allowing them room in your thoughts.

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 05:23PM

If you really want to make an impression, go with Scientology.

Kolobians give catholics way too much credit and your parents might think you're just confused about which church has the priesthood...

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 07:02PM

(listen to me)
go Hare Krishna!!!
I got a temple real close by!!!
nah.... to go Catholic ya gotta take all these classes and sh^t....its called rcia...i think..... it will take time and energy you should not waste....get to know your Bio dad more better..... is your adoptive dad in the scene??

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 10:13PM

I'm still in contact with my adoptive parents. We're still cool.

I just recently found birth dad, so I have about a million different emotions right now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 10:15PM by maria.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 07:03PM

Catholics aren't so eager to dunk (oops, I mean sprinkle) you. You'd have to go through months of RCIA (rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) classes. Just get a big honking crucifix and an ostentatious rosary, wear them around them, and just *tell* them you've converted. Maybe a tacky (and immodest) Pope t-shirt as well.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 07:17PM

It's not evil. But it IS a bloody good idea!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 07:19PM

You could probably accomplish the same result by sending them Catholic cards and messages on holidays and occasional inspirational messages, the kind with a decorative cross on the front and something about the rosary inside.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 11:27PM

In addition to Cheryl's ideas, you can also show up to the next family reunion with a "I heart the mother whore" t-shirt.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 06:12AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could probably accomplish the same result by
> sending them Catholic cards and messages on
> holidays and occasional inspirational messages,
> the kind with a decorative cross on the front and
> something about the rosary inside.

That's a cool idea! By the way, I was given a really cool Rosary. It glows in the dark! I think they are readily available. Send them one of these.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 10:42AM

Send them Christmas and Easter cards with a decidedly Roman Catholic style. All the gaslighting with none of the ethical repercussions of actually joining said religion.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 07:33PM

I understand where you are coming from and can see why it would be fun to consider the idea, but spite is lousy motivation for getting baptized into any religion, ethical or not.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 11:06PM

...ask your birth dad if there is a family cross necklace that you could have. You could tell him that you want a way to connect with and honor the spiritual roots of his side of the family. Catholic females usually have at least one (and sometimes more than one) cross necklace. If there isn't a family necklace floating around then I'm sure that your birth dad would be delighted to make you a gift of one (they are frequently given as gifts, and sometimes worn purely for sentimental reasons.)

Get a photo taken of you, wearing the necklace, alongside your birth dad. Mail it to your maternal grandparents and gush to them about how thrilled you are to reconnect with your birth dad's family. It should have the desired effect.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 05:09AM

Also, I don't think the Catholic priest would admit you to Catholic baptism if you told him what you have written here.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 10:24AM

Were you adopted into a Mormon family? Are they still Mormon? Are you in contact with your birth mother? Maternal grandparents?

Is your birth father a practicing Catholic?

I would be tempted to take a different approach.

Write a letter to birth family stating that you understand that it was their wish for you to be raised Mormon but you will be eternally grateful that you found your way out of that ridiculous religion. Thank them for your adoptive parents who allowed you to choose your own way and reject the dogma, superstition, judging, condescension, etc. etc. etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.