Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: walt disney ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 02:59PM

I was talking to a person very dear to me today. They said something that was sad.
The background of the conversation isn't important. They were telling me how much the saving ordinances of the church are to them. Without a baptism, endowment, mission, and sealing, you are nobody in God's eyes.
What kind of church would ever tell anyone they are a nobody, especially before the creator. I'll tell you what kind. This one.
I wept for my friend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:03PM

I so wish I could ask that person questions. So are their non-member neighbors 'nobody' in God's eyes?

Are 99% of the people on this planet 'nobody'?

Do they agree with the idea that if your kids don't conform to expectations, they are worthless?

Does God really love his kids, or just the 'good ones'?

Honestly, I think this person has a warped view of God, even according to Mormon standards. I wonder how their parents treated them when they were disobedient?

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:05PM

I agree, this is very sad to me, as well.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:11PM

It's sick. It's some sick shit that the sick as shit church teaches while it claims to be all about love....while exorting
people to hate, like the gays ... hate the gays and their
same sex children, hate the gays and ban gay marriage. Get it?

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:40PM

And the Bisexuals.....We are the vermin from hell in their eyes. They tell us we shouldn't exist, because you can only like one not the other.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:49PM

be you, be who you were born to be...and be proud.

They're just jealous cause Bisexuals have a larget playground.

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:54PM

True that! More for me.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:19PM

Reminds me of the time I volunteered to be a veil worker at one of the temples. One of the temple presidency pontificated for what seemed like hours about the importance and gravity of being a veil worker who honored their assignment, etc...blah, blah, blah. Then he said: "If you've had a divorce in the last five years, you are ineligible to be a veil worker."

What he failed to consider, apparently, was someone in my situation: an adult convert of about 2 years that had come off of a nasty divorce just before joining TSCC. I said that I had a divorce within the last five years, and he said I couldn't participate. Then, I told him that I was forgiven of that divorce. He said, "What do you mean?" I said, my divorce happened before my baptism, and all was washed clean at my baptism, isn't that correct?" He just nodded...no other acknowledgment whatsoever that he was being a pretentious a$$hat.

So, according to the OP, without a mission (one of the four TBM requirements for Gawd to like you), you are a nobody. What about adult converts? Maybe they are stalwart members their entire lives, but then can't afford to spill the big $ for a senior mission ("what do they think I am, a dentist??").

That person's perception of Gawd and the requirements for his acceptance of each of us is seriously skewed...and not to the good side.

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:33PM

Tommy Monson didn't serve a mission.

Hank (Cry Me a River) Eyring didn't serve a mission.

Dieter Fuchtdorf didn't serve a mission.

They're nothing in god's eyes? I can live with that.

(P.S. Sorry Walt, but "Treasure Planet" sucked.)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 03:45PM

And then if you resign or are exed, you are once again nobody.

This reminds me of a line from Austin Powers: "When I get angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset… people die!" -- Dr. Evil

The rest of the world is nobody only to your friend. The fruits of Mormonism.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 30, 2016 05:10PM

I admit, I'm nothing in the eyes of the God of the Mormons.

However, the God of the Mormons is nothing in my eyes.

Things have a way of evening out.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 04:57AM

From the life of Old Joe it's apparent that he was always trying to curry Gods favor. When he died he was found to be wearing superstitious talisman objects that have no connection to Christianity but were of some ancient paganism worshiping mythical beings in the sky.

So even the most ultra of tbms seemed to not find his needs met with his relationship with god.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 07:00AM

I don't ever recall being taught or thinking that people who were not Mormon with all of their ordinances were "nobody in God's eyes".

Did this person actually say those very words? That people who did not have the Mormon ordinances were quote "nobody in God's eyes"??

Or was this hyperbole on your part?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.