Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 02:01PM

Occasionally, people who are just coming out of Mormonism ask for alcoholic drink recommendations. A lot of newbies don't want hard liquor or bitter-tasting stuff. My wife tried an apple cider the other day that was very pleasant:

http://heinekenusa.com/2014/03/bulls-eye-strongbow-hits-mark-new-hard-apple-ciders/

The honey apple flavor is very good and sweet. Tastes pretty much like non-alcoholic apple cider.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 02:05PM

Rum and coke

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 03:34PM

Coffee Stout

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 04:16PM

A more serious answer, since I really don't care for Coffee Stouts, would be a Bloody Mary. Unless you go overboard with the vodka, you really don't get a heavy alcohol taste.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 03:49PM

1. Coffee and Kahlua
2. Fuzzy Navels
3. Anything with Midori in it
4. Jell-O shooters (pick a flavor!)

I'm not a *new* alcohol drinker, just picking up where I left off while being trapped by TSCC for 20+ years. I've got a lot of catching up to do...

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 04:09PM

Helpful hint:

There are a lot of things out there that will NEVER taste good. But, the results are worth it. ;)

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 05:41PM

"There are a lot of things out there that will NEVER taste good. But, the results are worth it. ;)"

Ahhhh, so THAT'S how you lost your testimony: you couldn't keep the Word of Wisdom.

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 05:43PM

Yep! The "facts" never bothered me. It was because I couldn't have a Corona with my tacos or a good pale ale with my steak!

Don't get me started on the WoW, Randy! ;)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 09:29PM

I drank my first beer at age 16...I didn't like it...the next weekend I drank a few more...I disliked them less and less with every sip. As for the WOW I punted that m'fer to the curb when I started smoking at 14. Going to Ricks for two semesters when I was 18 really cut into my drinking time.

RB

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 05:19PM

Vodka with any kind of fruit juice.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 07:00PM

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 07:03PM

Mike's hard lemonade or sweet wines. There are lots of mixed cocktails that are very sweet with little alcohol taste such as Pina Coladas. You can always cut back the ratio of alcohol and ramp up as you acquire a taste or preferences. When I first tried alcohol at 33, I tried swigging some straight vodka, I dumped the bottle down the drain in disgust. Now some 12 years later, I enjoy shots and sipping on local beers.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 09:14PM

Too big a question.
Narrow it down, again and again, starting with the gateway to love: BEER. Then/ or, on to great lasting peace & vintage health and everlasting love: WINE. Whine not? Then/ and/ OR, about lickher. Doubt you can get me started, so, please, don't try (too hard) - if you do you probably can't get me stopped.

Beer? It's blowing up!
Ciders? Exploding!
Wine? OmG!
Spirits? Try what you like. Try more.

"I like a good tasting buzz"

M@t

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 09:35PM

If someone is coming from a culture of sweet drinks -- juice, sodas, etc. -- then beer can be a harsh transition, especially with hoppy beers being all the rage. It's way easier to transition to mixed drinks, especially with bartenders who skimp on the actual booze.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 31, 2016 09:23PM

Before I gave it up I loved Patron Anejo straight.

Posted by: AngelBaloni ( )
Date: September 01, 2016 02:26AM

For the new participant in using adult beverages, I strongly advise to start drinking Screwdrivers. At first, fill the glass nearly full with orange juice and then just a splash of Vodka. Each day, decrease the amount of orange juice while increasing the amount Vodka just a little more. After 3 months, the person should be able to drink 100 proof Vodka straight from the bottle while standing just outside the liquor store. After that, go to using 151 Rum to take the edge off each morning.

Posted by: Chango ( )
Date: September 01, 2016 06:34AM

Nice timing on this thread, as I just went to the liquor store for my first time last week. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted. The clerk just sort of looked at me funny at first, but ended up being very helpful. I ended up getting a strawberry daiquiri which I liked (frozen premixed), some hard root beer that I sort of liked, and a brown ale that's still sitting in the fridge. Next time I may get a couple of different wines, who knows? I will have to try some more beers eventually, but the ones I have tried didn't light my world on fire, probably because I want more flavor and less fizz in general.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.