Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Porter ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 09:18PM

Would those who were lead out of TSCC by way of FAIR and its various writings please respond here. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 09:36PM

I'm not sure if it was FAIR or FARMS, but after reading Mopologetics online my attitude towards Mormonism changed drastically. I had read books by the Tanners and had basically lost my testimony. However I still felt very sympathetic to the church. I even defended it when I had the chance and still wanted my younger brothers to go on missions (yeah talk about how deep the brainwashing can go).

But it wasn't until I started to read Mormon apologetics when I became "anti." It angered me about how deceptive they were and how they were so smug and condescending to the critics who in my opinion were much more honest in their writings. Mopologists reminded me of sleazy lawyers who would say ANYTHING to win their case. It was after reading their stuff that made me lose any type of sympathy for TSCC and I joined the "other" side.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 10:02PM

I was trying to find information on the Masonic link to the Endowment. The apologetic sites then introduced me to many of the other problems with Mormonism:

DNA
Book Of Abraham
Multiple 1st visions
Horny Joe's polygamy and under-aged brides
Population growth problems in the BofM
Kinderhook plates
Bank Fraud
Treasure Hunting
etc.

The Masonic thing by itself probably wouldn't have destroyed my testimony. Reading the weak and often venomous defenses on the other issues and the personal attacks against their messengers literally turned my stomach. I remember thinking WTF? Why do these people have their panties in such a wad? If the church is true its defense shouldn't be this rabid.

So yeah, I give full credit to the apologists for getting me out of the cult.

Stunted

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 09:41PM

There were hundreds of issues for me. The thing that tipped the whole pile over though was the Book of Abraham. Reading both sides of that issue, the intellectual dishonesty in the pathetic FAIR and FARMS responses finally opened my eyes.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 09:58PM

I went there hoping to see intelligent rebuttal. I was shocked.
Shocked I tell you! Fair verified the problem yet attacked, twisted and did not address significant irrefutable issues at all. Fair and Farms destroyed what was left of my testimony. The dishonesty from an organization that was supposed to be "truth" was heartbreaking. I was in tears and angry at them at the same time.

NEVER EVER FORGET! FAIR/FARMS is where LDS leaders send those who question for answers! They don't get sent to Prophets, Seers and Revelators. Because they have no answers either!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 10:39PM

And all I got were DUMB answers and MORE questions. They never DID answer the questions. It was all far-fetched speculation and only vaguely related information. And the usual appeal to have faith.

I wondered if some of them were subversives, trying to show how ridiculous the Mormon church was.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 10:45PM

I was a history/humanities student at BYU, and so most of my classes were about how to properly research, etc, etc...the stuff they were teaching me as a newbie student about proper procedure and ethics was not followed by FARMS!

WOW, that threw me for a loop! I was disgusted. Even now, when people ask me, that offense to my sense of integrity is at the top of my list.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 06, 2011 10:52PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.