Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 01:14AM

Skopje, aka, Teresa, was no saint.

I live with chronic pain. If i'd landed in her care, it would be my worst nightmare. IMO, she was a cold hearted bitch.

Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 01:36AM

Teresa's canonization, by itself, is meaningless. Unless you are Catholic, of course.

Madalis, have you been to Anand Nagar, Calcutta. I have. The suffering of the poorest of the poor is beyond belief. Theresa took care of people abandoned to die. Have you seen beggars with leprosy and babies with kwashiorkor?

Has there been political agendas and mismanagement? Of course.
But I cannot condemn her.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 07:56AM

She might not have been exactly a saint in life but she has now become a saint after her death:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/sep/04/mother-teresa-declared-saint-by-pope-francis

And like LD$, Inc. She didn't make her accounts public either
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/31/mother-teresa-may-deserve-to-be-made-saint-but-why-now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 08:08AM by anybody.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 07:58AM

Thing is, she didn't really take care of them. She thought suffering brought us closer to God.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 03:00PM

She may not have done everything right or the way I would have done it, but she took the poor off the streets and cared for them. Of course it wasn't up to American standards. This is India for God's sake. Even her critics were will admit to that.They were certainly better off in her care than lying in a gutter. Everything isn't black and white.I cannot believe some of the harsh judgment from people who have never done anything for the poor. Just saying

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 10:55PM

1.0x10^9

Posted by: pasadena beggar ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 10:05AM

Apologetic much?

"It was India, for God's sake"?

Because, what, we just automatically lower our ethical and moral considerations because it's INDIA, and the people who live there are less entitled to minimum standards of care and decency?

Everything may not be "black or white", but your failure to apply objective standards of criticism and analysis makes you someone who shouldn't even serve on a jury.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 09:36AM

brianberkeley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Has there been political agendas and
> mismanagement? Of course.
> But I cannot condemn her.

Damned with faint praise

in the modern parlance , this could be translated as 'meh'

I would condemn her - to obscurity if nothing else.
Although I dont, personally, believe in 'saints'. I find her canonization distasteful..... kinda like the fact that I dont support the British 'honours' system, but I still find it distasteful when people refer to 'Jimmy Savile, OBE'

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 04:19PM

I have mixed feelings about her. I think she was a victim of her religion.

I think she had good intentions, but to stop the cycle of poverty and orphans, it takes education and BIRTH CONTROL. She provided rosaries, glorification of suffering, and was an advocate of prohibition of birth control. She was actually perpetuating the problems she was trying to help. I give her credit for helping in the short term, but in the long term, I do think she was perpetuating the cycles that need entirely different approaches then her religion peddles.

Remember when Mormons took Native Americans to "help" them be better? Good intentions, but it came with the intent of pushing their religion. Remember (Spanish) Catholics building missions all over the New World? The primary purpose was to convert people. I classify MT with that kind of BS religious motivation. It comes with the agenda of the religion disguised as charity.

I read that Mother T's relics (hair and blood) are already making the rounds. Good grief! They are still doing the relic BS for the fawning believers to have lucky rabbit's feet.

I have an aquaintence who was told she had terminal cancer. It turns out she successfully overcame the disease. Maybe the medical opinions were wrong or the doctors wanted to give her the worst case scenario so they would look like heroes. Maybe her immune system kicked in or she was a lucky one who responded to a trial treatment. Too bad there isn't some Saint-Wanna-Be to take credit for the "miracle" since there has to be two BS Miracles to be sainted. The two "miracles" associated with MT are a stretch to attribute them to her intervention. What a crock.

I think this whole process is to throw a bone (not in a relic way) to the believers. There are lots of good people in the world. Thankfully the Catholic Church doesn't get to use them all for their dog and pony shows to keep their believers coming.

Posted by: Julie Byam ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 03:29AM

Anyone that's studied the New Testament at all knows that it was considered from after the death of Jesus anyone that believed and became a follower was called and considered "A Saint". Catholics pray to these people appointed "Saints" when it clearly say's "there is only one mediator between the believer and God and that is through His Son Jesus.

Posted by: Julie Byam ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 03:31AM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 06:12AM

with 34,000 denominations of Christianity, what it "clearly says" in the bible obviously means little, if anything to what people believe.
Catholicism has always tried to incorporate ideas, where it can - Christmas/Yule and Easter celebrations, the Madonna/mother goddess..... and saints seem to be very similar to the ideas of specific gods presiding over specific areas ( Venus looks after affairs of the heart, in Roman mythology. St George looks after people suffering from Syphilis, in Catholic Mythology).

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 12:28PM

I heard an interesting interview on this subject yesterday morning on the BBC. The Brittish news network was interviewing a Roman Catholic church historian (and Mother Teresa critic) who noted that prior to Pope John Paul II, those who wanted to make certain Roman Catholic persons saints had to wait at least 100 years after the person's death before the honor would be considered. The historian thought this was actually a good idea, because it allowed for a full judgment of the person by history (assuming the candidate had gained enough notoriety to gain the attention of historians during his/her lifetime) to determine whether whatever he/she did was good or bad, and that there were not living people from his/her time who would be able to contradict the church's view of that person.

But John Paul II changed all of that, and the result has been the naming as saints both Mother Teresa and John Paul II shortly after their passings, and critics who worked alongside them do live to tell the world differently about each person.

As for me, I find myself in agreement with Dagny--I have a lot of mixed views. Given her religious beliefs (which she wasn't going to challenge, no matter how bad they might have been) and how the people her charity looked after would have been treated in Indian society if that charity had not existed, I think Mother Teresa did some excellent work. Did she have to deal with some very unscrupulous people to get the money she needed to keep her charity going? You bet! But again, given the work of her charity and its perceived mission, the need for the necessary funding ultimately justified (at least to Mother Teresa) her seeking of funds from dictators such as Jean Claude Duvalier of Haiti, among others.

Was Mother Teresa good enough to be A Catholic saint? Yes, because she represented, to the best of her ability, the values that the Roman church holds, values that many Roman Catholics aspire to but cannot reach. Is she a saint for everybody? Probably not, because not everybody holds the same values as the Roman church holds.

This same argument applies in spades to another recent Roman Catholic saint, mentioned in the first Guardian article above. Father Junipero Serra is now considered a saint by the Roman church for his conversion of native Americans to his religion. For the Roman church, that is enough. However, from what we now know, much of his work actually involved destroying native American cultures in order to adapt them to the European religion and lifestyle in which he was raised. And Father Serra never considered that the native Americans under his "care," might have the ability to someday rise up and govern themselves--this was out of his purview. However, for the Roman church, these criticisms are secondary and do not really represent church values, especially during that time, and so they were placed on the back burner when Father Serra was made a Roman Catholic saint.

Posted by: Hells Angel ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 12:46PM

Search "Hells Angel YouTube Christopher Hitchens"

Maybe the link will work

https://www.google.com/search?q=hells+angel+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

If you want to learn the negatives. Positives are everywhere else.

I think the line that first world guilt needed relief and MT offered us that, at a price. So "I met MT and funded her efforts." Even if the money lined the pockets of a trillion dollar a year corporation. I bought my conscience off."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.