Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: satome3987 ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 03:40PM

I created a site to show where Ex Mormon RMs served their missions. The concept is similar to r/exrm, but I thought it would be interesting to show the data in a more visual way. Feel free to add yourself if you served a mission.

https://exrmmap.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GC ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 03:47PM

Added my info

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 03:54PM

How interactive is it?

I added my info, along with a comment... How can I read others' information and comments?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 07:59PM

I wondered that as well.

Date: September 04, 2016 09:50PM

I'll be adding more features in the near future. I just wanted to get something out there, so I could gauge interest. Right now I'm fixing bugs, but I'll be adding things to view peoples comments, search for missions and filter the map by dates served in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 09:51PM by satome3987.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 04:05PM

I'm added

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 04:48PM

I tried to enter the info but the map would not take it.

Date: September 04, 2016 09:55PM

Did you see any errors on the screen when you tried to post? If I can recreate the issue I'll see if I can fix it. I've only had one other person mention and issue with trying to add to Germany. I haven't been able to recreate it, but maybe you're having the same issue.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 05:31PM

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 06:23PM

Added. Sad there was no one from San Diego until I added mine.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 08:07PM

Yay, at least one more exmo from my mission.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 10:34PM

Your map is a great idea. Probably, no one has generated this kind of data until now. I was interested enough to put down my phone (where I usually do everything), boot my laptop, and use it to enter my information. Apparently, Android 4.4.2 or the main Android web browser doesn't work. Firefox on Fedora 24 (Linux) works fine. Native Android internet - see frozen North America map, no navigation, see no icons, see no stats, enter no info. Chrome on Android - navigate map and see icons but not see stats nor enter information. Firefox on Android - navigate map and see icons and see stats and apparently enter info. But I didn't actually enter info since it was already added.

I think there is a lot of power in this kind of information. No one like a former fulltime representative of the church can fully understand just how much of a cult the church is, and spread that information to others.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 10:51PM by azsteve.

Date: September 04, 2016 10:48PM

Thanks, that was my thought exactly.

I'd like to see if I can fix the issue you had with the site. What version of Android are you running? Did you see any errors or just a white screen?

Date: September 04, 2016 10:55PM

Android 4.4.2. You can see the update of my message above for more information. Let me know if you want more info from linux. I could probably help over a period of days. But not a lot all at once. I probably have ten different browsers installed on the laptop, and Windows 10 in a virtual box there.

If you feel the ambition enough - too much work for me - I always thought that a kind of better business bureau for churches would be a great idea too. The morg would probably never respond to any complaints or resolve issues filed there. But other churches might, and the contrast might be shocking. Being able to read the types of complaints filed there would be good too. Maybe someone could find a way to make money hosting something like that too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 11:07PM by azsteve.

Date: September 04, 2016 11:14PM

Thanks! I really appreciate that. If you're able to get some console logs that would be amazing. Looks like below android 4.4.4 has some issues with certain javascript functions or something. Error logs would help me point in the right direction though.

With as many browsers as you say you have I'd guess you have some experience with web development.

Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 11:14PM

I tried entering my info, but it requires a year that you left the church. I'm still in physically but out mentally. Waiting for spouse to be on board before I leave.

Date: September 04, 2016 11:16PM

Technically I haven't officially resigned either. I just couldn't think of a way to track a transition out of the church since it can span a long period of time. Just put the the time that matches your leaving mentally I guess.

Date: September 04, 2016 11:42PM

Maybe two dates would be good. 1.) Date your shelf broke 2.) Date you officially resigned.

Date: September 05, 2016 11:30AM

I mentally left about 15 years ago when my parents were called on a mission to the church history dept. They spent their time redacting things from church history before the church made some of its history public. That's when I started wondering what the church was trying to cover up. I'll go in and use that date on the mission map.

Date: September 05, 2016 11:36AM

I would love to hear more about this! Were they using a black marker to ink over data or were they tearing out pages or shit-canning documents? Who were reporting to?

I've heard there are a lot of personal diaries they church 'urged' the the kids and grandkids of the authors to 'donate' to the church and that Jesus will come before the church lets them be read.

Date: September 05, 2016 11:50AM

My parents didn't say much about the details. They were told not to. But the church made copies and my parents were working from the copies. They had a check list of what to look for. They would draw a line through the part that they felt should be redacted. Then it would go to some higher level guy who would make the final decision. I was true TBM up to that point. That's when I started looking around on the internet and found that most of the things the church called "anti-Mormon" were things that actually happened in church history, but the church wanted to keep hidden. Because as we know from Packer, not all truth is useful.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 12:02PM

Most of what the church has been forced to acknowledge and publish today they called lies and distortions when I was young. This is especially true of Brodie's "No Man Knows My History". Time has, beyond question, proven her correct and the church officials liars.

I have found through careful study over that years that so-called "anti-Mormon" isn't that at all. It is rather "pro-truth".

Date: September 05, 2016 11:43AM

I fully became inactive in 1970, but did not officially resign until the procedure allowing it became effective in the early 1990's. Before that, excommunication was the only way to legally terminate membership.

Had resignation been an option when I left, I would have done so. Therefore, I always consider 1970 to be the year my membership ended and entered that year on the ExMormon RM map info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 11:46AM by Templar.

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 11:46PM

Added my information. I was the first for the Columbus, Ohio Mission too.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: September 04, 2016 11:56PM

Would love to know who else has exited the cult from my mission - El Savador / Guatemala

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 01:02PM

What years were you there? I started in the El Salvador San Salvador mission and was transferred to the Guatemala Guatemala City mission when the church pulled the gringo missionaries out of El Salvador in 1979.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:43PM

Was there 67-69. Would be interested in hearing your story.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 05:07PM

My oldest brother was there around that time frame. Unfortunately he passed away about a decade ago as a TBM.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 05:15PM

He spent most of his time in Huehuetenango and Quetzaltenango.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 05:15PM by Richard the Bad.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 02:29AM

What about 60s missions that don't exist now?
I couldn't add mine (Great Lakes Mission, 67-69)

It was MI + IN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 02:30AM by GNPE.

Date: September 05, 2016 01:11PM

When I was a mishie, there were only four missions in Mexico. My letter from DOM said I was called to the Mexican mission. But all I could get the site to accept was "Mexico." So there's no way to know if anyone else from that specific mission is also out...

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 04:46AM

Added. First from my mission. Hopefully there will be others.

Posted by: truenomore ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:30AM

First in for Bolivia!

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 11:02AM

I was there 81-82. How about you?

Date: September 05, 2016 10:45AM

Added my info. Perhaps the information can be summarized once enough individuals have posted. It will be interesting to know the average time from end of ones mission to fully leaving the church. For me, it was eight years.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 12:45PM

I'm added. Apparently, the first from France-Paris mission. :)

Posted by: MarkW ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:59AM

I'm added - France-Paris as well - 1973-75 for me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolobnr ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 06:16PM

MarkW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm added - France-Paris as well - 1973-75 for me.
'79-80 for me. Was in Paris (Boulogne-Billancourt), Caen, Poitiers, and Versailles. Maybe we know some of the same members (like the Babins in Versailles?).

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 12:59PM

A similar map of exmo missionaries' home wards would also be interesting. Just throwing an idea out there...

Date: September 07, 2016 05:24PM

Yeah, I wanted to do that at first, but there were complaints about asking about where someone was from on a form that is supposed to be anonymous. I could add the from field back though and just not make it required.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 03:05PM

It would also be interesting to have a map of closed chapels. But I am grateful for what you have already done.

Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:15PM

I'm added!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 09:11PM

Date: September 07, 2016 05:20PM

Haha I love it!

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 06:06AM

Topping

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 10:24AM

Added.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 10:39AM

Added my mission: Baton Rouge LA.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 02:39PM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 02:55PM

Added my info.

Japan Nagoya, 1976-1978.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 03:18PM

I'm added, and show as one of 3 from Brasil São Paulo. I was there 1968-1970, At that time, there was only 3 missions, now there's dozens.

I put 1995 as the year I left, but I was really a non-believe for longer than that. 1995 was the year my wife and were going out separate ways and before that, I was still going to church as a finance clerk. It was the only church activity I was doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 03:19PM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: Floridian ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 03:42PM

We may have crossed paths in 1968.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 05:02PM

I'd be interested in off-board contact if you'd like. I still have some good memories of people I knew and things I saw, not so much doing baptisms, mostly for young women who wanted a path to the US by marrying an RM.

My email is wmadams801@gmail.com. Please feel free to contact me if you're interested.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 11:50PM

I think this map is great!! Wonderful idea, keep it up!

I only wish there was a way to find information about and contact the other person serving in the same mission i did! (Hung@ry Bud@pest Mission)

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 05:07PM

It might be nice to be able to edit your own info (and be prevented from editing someone else's, of course)...

Date: September 07, 2016 05:12PM

Yeah I agree. The problem with that at this point is all the people that have already added themselves would have to claim theirs somehow. I guess once I implement something like that I could just allow people to claim by sending an email to me or something though.

I originally thought that this would be more like a survey site, to just show the numbers, but I think it could also be a way for people to reconnect with others from the same mission who have left the church.

For now, the next priority is to make it so that the information is at least viewable by others, but I appreciate the feedback. I'll add it to my list of features to add.

Date: September 07, 2016 05:11PM

Add a simple comments section and I think it would really take off...

Date: September 07, 2016 05:13PM

Hey, can we post your link elsewhere?

Can you give us an idea of when we can start viewing what others post?

Date: September 07, 2016 05:16PM

I'd love it if you posted it wherever you find other exmos. I'd like to get it in front of as many people as possible. I'm still working out the bugs, but I'll probably be finished adding that sometime this week. I'll update this thread when It's done.

Date: September 07, 2016 05:37PM

Okay, I did it, and I may have ever so slightly exaggerated how nicely you accepted my suggestion....

Oopsie: here's the link: http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/42416/#624202

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 06:18PM by elderolddog.

Date: September 07, 2016 05:14PM

Thanks, that's a great idea!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.