Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 07:42PM

Phyllis Schlafly, Conservative Leader and Foe of E.R.A., Dies at 92 http://nyti.ms/2cnEe4A

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 07:45PM

Too bad I don't believe in an afterlife anymore.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 07:56PM

Did a Kansas farmhouse fall on her?

Date: September 05, 2016 08:08PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:11PM

I should go to hell for laughing at that. Good thing I don't believe in hell.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:36PM

Either that, or someone threw a bucket of water on her. ;)

Date: September 05, 2016 08:47PM

Hmmm....she was strangely absent from the ice bucket challenge, come to think of it.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 11:18PM

Here's one guy who took the ice bucket challenge https://youtu.be/xHwaeg0PoO8
Speaking of Schlafly, their pumpkin beer should be out or out soon

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:36PM

So who gets the ruby slippers?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:33PM

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:15PM

She made a fine career for herself by leaving her children behind so she could fly around the country lecturing women about how they shouldn't work, only fulfill their god given duties of wife and mother.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:26PM

Surprise, Phyllis. Being dead isn't what you expected. Bummer.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:47PM

she was against ERA not gays, there is a difference. The world doesn't revolve around gays, lol!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 08:51PM

She got her start opposing the ERA, but once that was dead she moved on to opposing gay rights.

Date: September 05, 2016 08:57PM

“Have you noticed that only Christian small-businesspeople have been harassed and sued for refusing to participate in same-sex marriages even though our fast-growing immigrant populations, you know of Muslims, Hindus and other faiths are also opposed to that concept? They want to wipe out the Christian religion. And most of these other religions do not recognize same-sex marriage. I assume there are some Muslim bakers and photographers and other people who have been harassed, but they’re not being attacked and they’re not being criticized.” Phyllis Schlafly

As the head of the Eagle Forum, she was most certainly anti-LGBT.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 11:00AM

She made a good point, though.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 11:21AM

What "good point" did she make?

The bakers and other small businesses aren't being targeted. If they provided the services they offered to everyone equally, they wouldn't get in trouble.

Also, on the flip side, if even a non-religious business owner refused services to someone for any reason, including gender or sexual orientation, you'd better believe it would get big news. Could you imagine the field day for a news outlet to find out that a Muslim baker refused services to anyone?

No. The interesting thing is that "these other religions" who "do not recognize same-sex marriage" including Muslims tend not to discriminate in providing their services. It's Christians who are discriminating and then claiming persecution.

Date: September 06, 2016 01:31PM

Can't help but notice that third-wave feminists put basically zero attention on Islam, even mainstream Islam, which is a greater enemy to women's rights than anyone.

And the LGBQTXYZ community goes out of their way to apologize for Islam, but a visit to a muslim country could put them in a pine box...

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 02:16PM

Third wave feminists do not put zero attention on Islam. They speak of it often. When it impacts or affects women, children, society and freedom, they do.Muslim and Christian and atheist feminists alike, have done so. Probably less so than speaking about Christian-centered or based repression of women, as in this country it tends to radiate outward from that base. Probably because we have many more Christians here, than we do Muslims.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:34PM

She was more known for that than being anti-gay.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 09:16PM

I can't locate it now but what she said earlier this year about the transgender restroom issue was ignorant, as well as hateful.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 10:29PM

So what will KSRR radio in Provo program in her place each day? Will one of those two bat-turd crazy on-air personalities get a spot in her place? Donna would make a great replacement for Schlafly, even for national syndication.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 05, 2016 11:24PM

god once again takes out the trash.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 02:02AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> god once again takes out the trash.

In other words,

“Of course the Jew is a human being too. None of us has ever doubted it. But a flea is also an animal. But not a very pleasant one. Since a flea is not a pleasant animal, we have no duty to protect and defend it, to take care of it so that it can bite and torment and torture us. Rather, we make it harmless. It is the same with the Jews.”

Date: September 06, 2016 01:38PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote, in part:
> In other words,
>
> “Of course the Jew is a human being too. None of
> us has ever doubted it. But a flea is also an
> animal. But not a very pleasant one. Since a flea
> is not a pleasant animal, we have no duty to
> protect and defend it, to take care of it so that
> it can bite and torment and torture us. Rather, we
> make it harmless. It is the same with the Jews.”
==========================================
Quote source, please???

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 12:52AM

That makes up for the long line of deaths of good people like Bowie, Prince and Gene Wilder. Bye Felicia!

Date: September 06, 2016 01:37AM

Glad to see the exmo board is expanding to include schoolyard taunts and insults about a recently deceased conservative. Guess that "no politics" thing is okay if our snark is vile enough.

Stay classy, exmos.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 03:17AM

She wasn't a politician so this isn't about politics. She was a horrible person.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 03:24AM

Perhaps it's escaped your attention, but Mormons and fundamentalist nutjobs like Schlafly are birds of a feather.

People feel revulsion for her for most of the same reasons that they feel revulsion for the church and many of its members. Let's not pretend that the two things are mutually exclusive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 03:26AM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: tokki ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 10:21AM

Why so passive-aggressive?

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 11:05AM

Passive aggression is how Christianity got its start. I think it went something like this:

Pilate: Yeshua ben Joseph, you have been charged with disorderly conduct for overturning the tables of money changers in the temple. You have also been charged with feeding a multitude without proper health permits. In consideration of my contempt for the local authorities, I will let you off with a warning if you apologize to Caesar for your actions.

Jesus: Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's. Render unto God the thing's that are God's.

Pilate: What in Hades is that supposed to mean? I will not stand for this disrespect. Centurion, strike the prisoner on his right cheek.

[Smack!]

Jesus: Thank you sir! May I have another? [Turns his left cheek towards Pilate.]

Pilate: Such insolence! Centurion, strike the prisoner on his left cheek.

[Smack!]

Jesus: Thank you sir! May I have another?

Pilate: Very well. We will soon put a stop to this. Centurion, scourge the prisoner.

[Many scourging sounds]

Pilate: More? Centurion, employ the crown of thorns.

[Poking and stabbing noises]

Pilate: That's it. Take this Palestinian bastard out and crucify him.

[Hammering sounds]

Pilate: Jupiter, Juno and Minerva! What's it going to take to shut this guy up? Centurion, stab him with a spear. If that doesn't work, break his legs.

Jesus: Thank you sir! May I have a.... [Gurgling sounds]

And the rest is history.

Date: September 06, 2016 11:16AM

Needed a good belly laugh this morning!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 10:35AM

This has gotten a bit nasty. It has little to do with Recovery from Mormonism. I certainly don't agree with what she did.

Date: September 06, 2016 10:53AM

I think if you were a woman you might feel like she had more of an undue and stifling influence on your life. She pushed for very strict gender roles for us, but not for herself. Mormons were only very happy to embrace her positions and philosophy. I remember it quiet well from the late 70's. And of course, Gayle Ruzicka championed her cause in Utah, perhaps contributing heavily to many young, gay suicides.

Date: September 06, 2016 12:51PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> I think if you were a woman you might feel like
> she had more of an undue and stifling influence on
> your life. She pushed for very strict gender
> roles for us, but not for herself. Mormons were
> only very happy to embrace her positions and
> philosophy. I remember it quiet well from the
> late 70's.

I imagine the irony escapes you that you lay blame for this tremendous social and political impact at the feet of a single woman who held no politic office, no superior power, and no great wealth. Please tell us the great negative impact she had on your life.

You also likely know very little about the actual substance of her arguments against the ERA. You err in claiming she wanted stricter gender roles; it was quite the opposite. She wanted women to be free to pursue whatever they choose. After all it was Schlafly, not some feminist icon who in 1970 when criticized by her political opponent saying she should be home raising her children replied, “My opponent says a woman’s place is in the home. But my husband replies, a woman’s place is in the House -- the U.S. House of Representatives.”

Date: September 06, 2016 12:53PM

You addressed none of my points.

Date: September 06, 2016 12:55PM

So the irony does escape you.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 11:41AM

Tall man, Red and whatever other names you use, try sticking to one screen name please.

Sorry, but this is not church where you can spout untruths and people will believe you. It is also not a place where you can spout hatred and not be challenged. I think you would feel more at home in priesthood meetings where you can bathe in your own delusional feelings of self-importance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 11:45AM by Atari.

Date: September 07, 2016 08:37PM

Atari Wrote:
> Tall man, Red and whatever other names you use,
> try sticking to one screen name please.

Sorry to burst your fantasy. No troll here, and no multiple logins. You're spouting untruths. Ask the admins to confirm if you have a strong testimony otherwise.

>
> Sorry, but this is not church where you can spout
> untruths and people will believe you.

I'll leave that to you and your fantasies of trolls.

> It is also
> not a place where you can spout hatred and not be
> challenged.

Please run immediately to your safe space. We have warm blankets and pacifiers there to help you cope with diverse thought. We'll also have English majors there to explain that there's actually a significant difference between "disagreement" and "hatred." Except for SJW who seem incapable of distinguishing between them.

> I think you would feel more at home
> in priesthood meetings where you can bathe in your
> own delusional feelings of self-importance.

It strikes me that you're a person who knows a thing or two about delusional feelings of self importance.

And in closing, do you have any actual substantive responses, or are you entirely limited to slogans you see on bumper stickers? We'll even allow you to exceed 140 characters.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:01PM

"you lay blame for this tremendous social and political impact at the feet of a single woman who held no politic office, no superior power, and no great wealth. Please tell us the great negative impact she had on your life."

Since when does a personality have to hold political office, have superior power or wealth to make a negative (or positive for that matter) impact on society? Rush Limbaugh has a megaphone and regularly uses it to impact society in a tangible way. So did Mrs Schlafly.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 12:34PM

Date: September 07, 2016 12:47PM

There are many, many people who work behind the scenes to influence the government and it's laws. They are on the left as well as the right. Some of the more powerful voices have been Roger Ailes, Rupert Murdoch, James Dobson, the Koch Brothers, Tony Perkins, Wayne LaPierre, etc. These men wield a lot of influence and aren't elected to any public office.

Date: September 08, 2016 08:55PM

I see your point, but see much of the success of these folks as synthesizing popular thought in a way that appeals to large groups.

Those that are popular outside of government hold no real power. They are entirely dependent upon the public for their fame and position. And the public is fickle.

Government officials have significant power, and many need no popularity to wield it.

Date: September 08, 2016 09:40PM

These people wield tremendous power. Popular opinion, based on numbers is not what pays for fundraisers for office holders. It's the money, not the popular opinion that drives policy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 09:56PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 10:36AM

I read a Facebook post this morning that said if Harvey Milk couldn't live to see same sex marriage legalized in all 50 states, at least Phyllis Schlafly did.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 11:55AM

Knowing that gives me a good feeling. Karma came through.

Bye Felicia.

Date: September 06, 2016 11:53AM

Ding Dong the witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:47PM

meaning roughly speak only positively of the dead.

So-I-got-nothing-ly yrs,

S

Date: September 07, 2016 07:06AM

Bette Davis said:
(You have to imagine a Bette Davis voice)

"They say you should never speak ill of the dead, only good.

Joan Crawford is dead.

Good."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 11:34AM by Doxi.

Date: September 07, 2016 02:41PM

Doxi Wrote:
> Bette Davis said:
> (You have to imagine a Bette Davis voice)
>
> "They say you should never speak ill of the dead,
> only good.
>
> Joan Crawford is dead.
>
> Good."

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha. I love it .

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 12:32PM

Good riddance. Can her Eagle Forum die with her?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.