Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:15AM

I know that this topic has come up before, but I thought that there policy aka law of the profit is interesting. Yes, most of us agree that service animals should be permitted due to ADA requirements, but you may be surprised what the church's perception and interpretation of the law. In fact, they don't believe that they are REQUIRED to accommodate anybody.

From the LDS Disability Resources webpage:

Q: Is it appropriate to bring a service animal into Church buildings?

A: Although the Church is under no legal obligation to admit individuals with service animals into houses of worship because it is exempt from Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Church policy generally allows the use of service dogs in Church buildings. Other types of service animals or comfort pets are not permitted. The only places where service dogs are not allowed are in the temple and in venues where meetings/events are being broadcasted or recorded. In the temple, ordinance workers will gladly assist you. In other venues, ushers will direct you to overflow viewing rooms where your service dog is allowed. Please be aware that local laws concerning service animals and other assistance for those with disabilities may vary.

Note that your service animal will NOT be allowed inside their swanky temple. And only the non-televised storage closets for animal assisted members during conference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 01:51AM

I have my service animal well trained. It stays in my pants at all times when in the temple. Apparently this was a problem back in the day.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 07:00AM

What about the ferrets? are they simply ignoring the ferrets?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 04:58PM

BEST post ever!!!!

Posted by: BoydKPeckerChecker ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 07:54PM

A friend took his pet monkey through a complete live session in the Salt Lake Temple a couple decades ago.
Really happened. Small monkey in his shirt pocket that kept quiet through the whole thing.

Once in the Celestial Room he showed the little guy to his wife - who started laughing in surprise - which brought a matron over to see if she needed help. Covered the monkey & she said 'coughing attack' and then they left.

A real Temple Monk.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 05:06PM

the cureloms and cummons. Shouldn't they get special access?

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 06:10PM

But service animals ARE permitted.

Oh, wait... I was thinking of women. Women are permitted.

I keep getting those two mixed up--sorry.

Posted by: Strokemom ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 06:08PM

I know that the church policy leaves it in the hands of the bishopric but I can’t help but feel hurt. In 2018, I had two strokes in the course of one week. Due to a degenerative neurologic disorder, seizures, and diabetes that my meds and body do not control, I have a service dog. Medically, I need the dog to keep up with changing blood chemistry and alert those available if I “check out”. I have had my dog for two years. This past Sunday, some new parents in the ward showed fear of my dog, and I was asked not to bring her back to church. Due to her job, I am also banned from attending sacrament as well. They recommended that I listen to the meeting via zoom, but because I am not going to get better, I am coming to realize that this means I will not ever attend sacrament or Relief Society again in this life. My dog is fully trained and she was never off lead in church. I am wheelchair bound, but humans can not replace what my service dog does for me. Is there anything I can do, or do I take the blessing of having three priesthood holders in my family to serve sacrament at home, and try to endure alone.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 06:54PM

You're asking people who have left the Mormon church what you, a believing church member, can do to continue attending sacrament meeting with your service dog? I think you're seeking advice from the wrong crowd.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 07:02PM

You could be right, heartbroken. I didn't think of that.

Maybe a misstep into the wrong forum?

Date: July 28, 2021 07:01PM

Strokemom, I'm sorry for your hurt and disappointment. It's hard to imagine that the bishop and his team can be so short-sighted, not to mention heartless in not recognizing your need and making accommodations for it. I'd even wonder if the Mormon Church is correct in deciding they are exempt from the law re service animals. As for the church outright stating they do not allow comfort animals, that's hard to explain, you'd think. What about children with special needs or others who need a trained animal helper for various health-related reasons?

Was it the bishop (therefore, the "authority") who asked you not to bring your service dog back to church? If not, maybe you could talk to him about what happened and he can hopefully give instructions to the contrary. The people who are afraid of your dog can surely find a way to avoid it without you being banned from attending if you wish to do so.

It sounds harsh for anyone to expect you to "endure alone". I'd check out all my options, if I were you, starting with talking it over with the bishop and/or the RS president.

This is delicate but if nothing changes and it were me, I'd think about contributing my tithing to a place that doesn't welcome me in. I'd also think about how Christians are instructed to treat others, for instance here:

Matthew 25: 34-40:

"... For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

"Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

"When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

"When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’"

Likely there's a similar BOM scripture that says likewise.

I know it can be difficult to speak out and at times it can feel contentious but I wouldn't just go away without expressing how you feel about what happened and how you feel about not being able to attend meetings any more, if that is the final decision.

Again, I'm sorry for your difficulties and the hurt this incident has caused. You don't deserve it. Neither does your wonderful helping animal. Just remember, they're the losers if they fail to make you welcome.

PS: There may be a church of a different denomination where you could attend with your service dog. I guess it would depend on how flexible you are regarding teachings/doctrine and faith observances.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide. I hope it can be resolved. But. It would make me think about the people I worshipped with. Sorry if that sounds critical. Again, all the best to you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 07:07PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 07:16PM

I'm very sorry that your ward is not accommodating you. I would schedule a meeting with your bishop to explain that your dog is a highly trained animal whose function is to alert others when you have a critical medical need. Ask the bishop, would he ban a seeing eye dog as well?

If he continues to deny you, I see a few options. One would be to attend the meetings for a ward other than your own. Another (which I realize would be hard for you,) would be to go to your local newspaper and seek publicity for your plight. The church really hates negative publicity. Another option would be to ask the ministers of other Christian churches if your service dog would be allowed at services (IMO most churches would happily accommodate you.) I realize that this last option would be tough for you, but please consider that you could find a welcoming Christian community that could fulfil your needs. If you need ideas for denominations to try, I could give you ideas for kind and caring options.

In any event, I would quit giving the local ward your tithing. Why reward bad behavior? You have contributed enough.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 06:18PM

What ultimate jerks TBM's are who think this way. Good Lord. I'm glad I'm gone because I'm handicapped and would be stinking up their fabulous buildings with my handicaps and maybe...gasp...a service dog.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 06:12PM

That's one of the reasons I left the church. They wouldn't let my kids take their emotional support bats into the nursery.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 06:40PM

Interesting. Doesn't surprise me that the ADA act exempts churches. First Amendment and all that.

Frankly I'm glad they disallow "emotional support animals". Airlines have finally had it with the abuse of that designation and are putting their foot down. Having been on an HOA board, the stories I could tell...

I am a bit surprised at the restrictions the Church placed on where service animals are allowed. Some of them seem to have more to do with appearances rather than general safety.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 01:09AM

Oh BoJ, do tell about the HOA. Any emotional support alligators?

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 08:28AM

...that the public accommodations requirements (which would include service animals) do not apply to religious institutions.

https://www.facebook.com/kermitradio

However, according to the same source, if the religious institution has more than 15 paid employees, then the requirements for accommodating disabled employees do apply, though religious institutions are allowed to require that all employees practice their religion. One point, in particular, is very interesting vis-à-vis the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Quoting from the article:

"Additionally, members of the clergy and other employees who perform essentially religious duties, such as conducting religious ritual, worship, or instruction, are generally excluded from the protections of the ADA and other employment discrimination laws. This “ministerial exception” is based on the First Amendment to the Constitution, which limits government interference with the free exercise of religion, and is well established by the courts. The exception only
applies to employees who perform ministerial functions, however. Employees such as custodians, accountants, or food service workers, who have no ministerial role or duties, would generally be protected under the ADA."

Since the LDS church considers twelve-year-old male members to be priesthood holders, does it immediately follow that the first sentence of the preceeding paragraph applies to them?

I am also in agreement with Boj regarding service animals vs. comfort animals. Service animals have been specifically trained to assist disabled individuals with physical tasks by reputable schools. This is not true for comfort animals, who, by and large, haven't been trained by anyone in anything. The problems have been determining what kinds of identification, if any, disabled persons should provide upon request to show that their service animals are in fact service animals and the ID requirements, if any, to show that specific service animal training facilities are reputable.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 07:10PM

Anyone still trying to get into a Mormon service with or without a service animal is by demonstration an inverse-genius.

My sympathies go only to those faithful animals.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 07:31AM

Our nation has taken this service animal thing too far. I read these 'looking for an apartment posts' on facebook and there's always some entitled, numerous offspring, on disability, unemployed, hefty women begging for some cheep place to live, a landlord with a heart (who doesn't mind his property being abused). Maybe it's just a Utah thing?

Then there are the entitled airplane guests who insist on bringing their fluff ball on board, how about the asthmatic passengers who just don't have the patience to deal with an attack, what about their rights?

Date: July 29, 2021 09:06AM

Yes, of course the women are 'hefty' aren't they maca.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 09:55AM

Maca, you could make your point without engaging in fat-shaming.

I've seen some rental units (especially in my condo building) absolutely torn apart by pets. If a landlord has to replace the carpet, s/he is looking at about $2,500. In some cases the damage goes down to the sub-flooring. If I were a landlord, I would never allow pets.

A friend of mine is a real estate agent. She goes through units with a black light flashlight in order to find pet urine stains.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 05:12PM

Don't forget misogyny! And poor shaming/blaming. And...
I'd call him noodle head, but that's mean to noodles.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 10:02PM

In my home, we treat our pets like family members. But one of the first things I did several years ago as a new homeowner, was to tear out the perfectly good carpets throughout the house and then tile the floor in every room. No matter how good your animals are at going outside to do their business, they will always make some messes in the house eventually. Sometimes they get sick. Sometimes it's my fault for locking them in the house while the yard guy is mowing the lawn, and then I forget to unlock the doggie door for several hours afterward. In any event, I have found that carpets and pets don't go together well. I can never keep the carpets clean enough, even just from the shedded dog hair that can be very difficult to remove fully from carpets. But with all tile floors, it's no problem to see and sweep or mop-up any messes adequately as they occur. I don't plan to rent my home out. But if I ever did rent it to anyone with animals, it wouldn't be a problem now. Tile is always easy to keep clean. It seems like everyone should be able to have pets since they enrich our lives. You just need to set your home up to accommodate them.

Posted by: ServiceDogPro ( )
Date: July 29, 2021 04:19PM

First, one needs to understand the differences:
--->Pet:
An animal you care for in your home. Either by interaction or watching.
--->Emotional Support animal:
An animal you care for in your home. If you are renting, you'll need to provide info, such as a doctor's note, to the landlord.
--->Service animal:
An animal you care for in you home. This animal is trained or in training to do tasks that mitigate a disability(ies) of the handler. These tasks are specific and varied. They can be related to; mobilty, seizures, neurology, allergies, and more.

FYI there is a number of people who while dealing with their disabilities are not allowed to exercise or doing at a lot. Mixed with the depression if get 5

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 09:19PM

It is my understanding that per ADA rules, there are only two kinds of support animals. All others are not legally recognized. 1.) Dogs, 2.) Mineature horses.

Just putting a "service animal" vest on to a dog does not mean that the dog is a service or support animal. There are legal requirements.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-types-of-animals-can-be-service-animals-1094527

I remember hearing a current events story several years ago about someone who took their 500 lb "emotional support pig" on an airline flight with them. The pig ended up causing a lot of problems which included deficating in the aisle and scaring the other passengers. The aisle between seating sections where a few seats are removed, was the only place big enough to accommodate the pig's size. People had difficulties stepping past this pig which blocked access to the bathrooms for some people. The pig was such a big problem that the airline did some legal research and realized that they had no obligation to allow this pig to fly back on their passenger's return trip. That left the pig's owner stuck without a good way to get their pig home.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2021 10:16PM by azsteve.

Posted by: MnRN ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 06:05AM

A distant relative who posts her every sneeze on facebook has two emotional support chihuahuas she loudly proclaims are service dogs. It has never been credibly documented what exactly the vital task they do for her is (she does have accurately diagnosed physical problems and mobility issues) but she posts constantly about the emotional support they give her and how ignorant others are about service dog law. She states the law states an animal can be designated a legal service animal if they are in training to be a service dog, and her dogs have been in training for their unspecified task for over ten years. Thanks to her frank, frequent and detailed posts the world knows those dogs are very accomplished at getting her kicked out of hotels.
Hospitals used to have more problems with "service" animals until the legal crackdown recently. They have been known to attack ED physicians attempting to treat their owners, when the owner can't or won't call them off. We've had people try to bring in their "service" reptiles and cats, but now hospitals are requiring that patients designate a caretaker to come in and do all the feeding and toileting 24/7 (pre-covid), so the crazy requests have died down.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 09:34PM

So why is religion exempt from Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.