Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 08:03PM

There. I said it.

I just picked an elder's blog at random to read and it's pretty bad.

On the other hand, there is a plethora* of the hackneyed LDS use of amazing, cool, super, crazy, super amazing, super cool, super crazy, and trials; amazingly, no super trials. And hard to find blessed and so blessed.

Between this and reading Kool-aid responses from church members in comment sections, I must conclude that Seminary makes Mormon kids too tired in English class.

Did you say a plethora, El Guapo?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 06, 2016 11:47PM

IN on speling police thred ~

IN b 4 ~ amazing, cool, super, crazy, super amazing, super cool, super crazy,

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 01:29AM

first base = blessing

second base = tender mercy

third base = minor miracle

home run = go home early!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 02:55AM

Actually if you look at comments on news articles it's across the board. It's not just mormons, it's the way our society is educating the youth. A big gripe for me is the apparent lack and proper use of quotation marks. I often find this ' when in proper English it's ". It's often used for " . when in reality it's ".

You're likely to see it when a famous person dies...specifically their work...like movies, tv, books etc...

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 09:24AM

You forgot AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 03:00PM

Doxi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You forgot AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, of course!

I have not heard that word that much until I converted in 2004.

Posted by: applesauce ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 09:49AM

I suck at spelling because I was in a special program in 1st grade, called ITA. I have long forgotten what it stands for, but what it did was teach me to read with a whole different alphabet (like reformed Egyptian ha!) and then in second grade had us translate into how things really were spelled. I sound everything out, and invariably get it wrong. I think it was idiotic. I didn't learn to read normal English, and I've struggled with it for the last 45 years.

Most of my spelling and punctuation "mistakes" are pure laziness. I text a lot for my job and with my kids, so thru is easier than through, 2mro is easier than tomorrow, etc, and who has time for every comma and period and capital letter?

I was born the last year of the baby boom, so...I relate better to Gen X, so therefore have the issue of poor spelling education plus the need for speed.

I try not to get after people for spelling, but the OP has a point. I think at least a person can understand what I'm writing, however, some of the stuff you read makes you work very hard to get through all the crazy abbreviations.

applesauce

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 02:08PM

Our school district was not using it but we had friends in another town where it was in use. It was very controversial and supposed to be the latest and greatest. Like most crazy ideas for re-inventing the wheel it was a failure.

Posted by: applesauce ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 06:10PM

Ha, they should do a study on the kids they put through ITA, and see how functional illiterate they are today. My brother and my sister went through the same program. What's worse, we moved between my brother's 1st and 2nd grade, and the school district we moved to didn't have ITA. so he was LOST as far as reading is concerned. He turned out ok, just retired from the Navy, but man, he really struggled.

Yes, ITA was a failure. I'm sure there have been other failed programs through the years. Perhaps this is part of the reason people can't read, write, or spell, because we were all guinea pigs of public education at any given time during our school years. applesauce

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 10:06AM

I agree with another poster who wrote that the issue is not limited to Mormons.

However, I believe that OP's point is correct when you consider the disparity between Mormon arrogance and reality.

My wife used to go on and on about how superior Mormons were compared with other students. Wherever a high school in the mission field had Mormons, you knew the valedictorian would be a Mormon. I don't have any empirical evidence, but I think this borders on being a faith-promoting story.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 12:56PM

My daughter, who is non-religious, was salutatorian this year; the valedictorian was Jewish, only one Mormon in the class top 10, and we have plenty o' Mormons here.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 02:00PM

In my high school class, the valedictorian wasn't Mormon at all. In fact, before 1978, someone like him wasn't allowed the priesthood because his skin color meant he was cursed by Cain.

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 10:35AM

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 11:57AM

Poor spelling and grammar reflects badly on people. Makes me think they are uneducated and a tad stupid.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 01:00PM

It wasn't so noticeable until the internet and social media took over. Before then people talked on the phone and precious few saw their notes, mail, or journals.

Now we see their writing whenever we turn on a computer or reach for a phone.

I read kindergarten to grade three writing for over 30 years and didn't complain, just tried to help when appropriate. I think it's better to look past clerical mistakes and search for meaning. Just skip reading whatever isn't worth the trouble and think the person might have learned something by trying.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 02:27PM

I admit I am pedantic and poor spelling/punctuation s one of my major pet peeves. Incorrect grammar is another one, as is incorrect usage, even if is spelled correctly, such as there, their, they're). Incorrect usage of its and it's is one I see frequently, and often (even on this board :) And, in my opinion, Utah has the worst grammar of anyplace I have lived. Not a good place to be when you're a pedant.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 02:31PM

school kids in this country are no longer taught to read and write cursive.

To hell in a handbasket I tell you !

Date: September 07, 2016 02:45PM

I think they still need penmanship for times they're not using a keyboard.

Unfortunately, no one asks me!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 02:37PM

The way I see it, there's more than one way to be intelligent.

I've always been a decent speller. I see a word once and usually don't have a problem recalling it with ease when I need it later.

I have a brother who is brilliant in so many ways, but can't spell worth a darn. Honestly, I'd rather have his brilliance than my spelling capabilities.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: September 07, 2016 04:37PM

My take on spelling and grammar:

If you respect your audience, you will make your best effort at writing well and spelling correctly - making it easy for your reader to 'get' what you are saying.

If you are careless in your written communication, at best you will be misunderstood. Worse, your reader may decide that if you can't be bothered, they likewise will not bother to figure out what you are saying.

Lost communication.

Date: September 07, 2016 05:01PM

They can't write with more clerical precision, but they are in the process of doing the best they can and they're learning about themselves by putting their thoughts on paper.

Others are free to avoid reading what they write. Not everyone is born to be Charles Dickens or John Steinbeck. That's good because the world needs a variety of skills so Charles and John can spend their writing proceeds on the goods and services they need and must depend on others to provide.

Assuming everyone can and must write well will cause only frustration and disappointment as much as assuming everyone must be good at making quilts or growing food.

Date: September 07, 2016 05:22PM

Key words: "best effort". No demand for perfection. 'Clerical precision' - your words, not mine.

At least try...it shows that one cares about what they are saying.

Seems to me that more and more people aren't trying-not even a little bit.

Date: September 07, 2016 05:26PM

Some people have learning disabilities and still try. If that offends you, don't read what they write.

Date: September 07, 2016 05:58PM

Apparently, reading comprehension and knowing definitions of words is problematic for some...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 05:58PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: beanhead ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 03:14PM

IMHO english is looong overdue for spelling reform. Texting and twitter will FORCE it thru.

I am thrilled cursive is dead, I want spelling to die too!

They ran the spelling nazis off in another thread. http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1542785,1542875#msg-1542875

Thank god for texting. Now everybody is forced to start communicating via the written word. And guess what? Most of us write pretty lousy, with lots of slang, spelling errors, and dangling participles, apostrophes in the wrong spot...

I'm interested in what people have to say, I'm not going to waste time analyzing their crummy spelling.

BTW what about the "deseret alphabet"? Never seen it discussed on this board?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 11:04AM

"Plethora" is a word that only 10th grade writers use. If you are still using plethora after 10th grade, please pick up a Thesaurus and learn another word.

Lousy spelling is not exclusive to mormons. Not in the least. I see it all day, every day, on this board, all over the internet, and IRL. Homophones are hard. People can't be bothered to figure out if they mean aloud or allowed.

Don't blame this on mormonism.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 12:28PM

Wat? Your saying that morons caint spell there words?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.