Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 01:35PM

I don't know too many working age Mormons who can manage time to work in the temple. Stay at home mothers would be hard pressed to find time either since there are not any daycare facilities at the temple that I'm aware of. And the youth are ditching Mormonism by the hundreds, if not thousands. So, who will be manning the temples in another ten years or so? Aren't they over building beyond the capacity to find volunteer workers?

Anybody out there have first hand knowledge as to the ability to find temple workers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 01:37PM

TSCC is very supportive of open borders. Undocumented temple workers?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 01:39PM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the youth are ditching Mormonism by the hundreds, if not
> thousands.

That should be "And the youth are ditching Mormonism by the tens
of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands." You were only two
orders of magnitude off.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 01:44PM

TBMs should be encouraged to ask, "How much does it pay?"

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 01:45PM

Robots. Or maybe the whole thing will be done via virtual reality.

My guess is that, as the older temple workers pass on, a small core of younger ones will take their place. There will be fewer temple workers, but they will be more than enough to service the much smaller core of the church.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 11:02PM

East Coast Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Robots. Or maybe the whole thing will be done via
> virtual reality.

They could make it like Small World, Jurassic Park, etc where you remain seated in your pod and are whisked from station to station.

LOL--the industry term for this setup is a "dark ride".

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 02:07PM

There are plenty of baby boomer Mormons retiring right now. There will be no shortage of hand shakers. There may be a shortage of hand shakees.

Posted by: anon today ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 04:25PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 08:45PM

This is very good news! Some of my classmates from Idaho are catching up to me on Facebook. They know something is wrong with the cult. They may have stopped attending church. They just haven't completely severed ties - well they live right in the heartland. It may be harder for them when their ties are there and with TBM family all around them.

For me, many of my TBM cousins have already left, so I'm not alone even from that angle. That is encouraging to hear that the Boomers are leaving by virtue of the Internet and that some are just starting to wake up. :))

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 02:15PM

Illegal immigrants would be a good source.

So long as their hearts are pure, and they pass the TR interview, they'll be good to go. ;o)

And they work for less than minimum wage!

Which begs the question: Will the church in the future need to PAY its workers to do what it now does for free, once its membership shrinks to near extinction? Or will it just cease to exist because it has become irrelevant?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:01AM

So I suppose that the illegal alien's temple interview will go something like this: SP - so brother Gonzales, have you been honest in your dealings with your fellow man? Brother G - yes. SP - Did you sneak in to this country in violation of the law? Brother G - yes. SP - well, if you will volunteer to work in the temple for five years full time, the lord will forgive your violation of US law.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 02:56PM

Who knows. maybe in the future, "there is an app for that" will be the norm...hehe

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 04:40PM

Coincidentally I just ran across the latest temple worker training video. I like the new uniforms--the white overalls are a smart choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja8V8Mf4xLs

Looks like TSCC is on top of the situation.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 05:01PM

Service robots programmed to change beliefs on command, which is really what they already have.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:04AM

The Church could rent out the new sex robots that the media is talking about, and reprogram them to give signs and tokens as temple workers instead of sex acts. Do you know what that robot leading the ceremony did before they joined the church?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 01:13AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 05:06PM

Well, there will be new retirees as the old ones die off. But I doubt that'll suffice.

I'm a 44 year old genXer myself. I can tell you that the large majority of my cohorts from high school and mission are just as brainwashed as ever - and probably will be for life. Sad.

But among my children's generation, I see a lot of hope for the eventual downfall of the cult. Even in Mordor itself (Utah) I could envision Mormonism becoming as irrelevant as the Christian Scientists inside of two generations.

And if that happens, I think the bigger question becomes what happens to the temples themselves. The staffing can be solved by reducing hours of operation and reduced attendance mean less need for veil workers.

But the temples themselves represent a large fixed cost for the cult. And when tithing receipts dry up, they will either have to start draining their reserves to maintain them, let them fall into disrepair, dual purpose them, or sell them outright.

How I hope that I live to see the day.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 06:20PM

There will be a new batch of retirees. My generation (the baby boomers) are starting to retire. And I know a lot of women who don't work who have been temple workers for years.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 07:14PM

There will be no more work (It will all be DONE)!

I heard somewhere that they've been looking for temple players since Joe's exchanges, escapades and examples.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 07:21PM

Date: September 08, 2016 07:24PM

It's your own fault!

I'm listening to it as I type...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG-wl2qqD7Y

Posted by: HAL 9000 ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 07:22PM

Now that my logic memory crystals have been removed, I would consider it an honor to serve in the temple worker capacity, Dave.

Would you like to hear a song?

Date: September 08, 2016 07:25PM

Are you "...glow(ing) in the glory of rebirth"?

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 08:32PM

Since it's on you-tube anyway, maybe people will just do their sessions from home from the morg website. Recommend holders will be able to unlock appropriate names needed for that days session upon proof that tithes are up to date. No more catching up at the end of the year!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 08:37PM

Self-serve?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 09:01PM

I have two daughters and good friends who still go. SAD! They know my "inactive" stand, and so we just don't talk about this.
New people who go: The young persons getting temple married, and have "looked forward" to this all their lives. It seems such couples either never go again (good for them), or become a new generation that try to go once every month---and pay a babysitter to do so. (I remember that effort myself...)

Even so, I HATED the veil over my head, and at the same time, thought "so this is how Catholic nuns feel", and "maybe this is really supposed to be such").

Talk about being snookered. I was the first one in my immediate family to do so, since my grandparents (by then, passed-on). The only person who showed up besides a few friends was a long-forgotten Aunt (a sister of my maternal grandmother). I was so embarrassed, as I couldn't even remember her name to introduce her to my new husband.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 10:34PM

Not that I'll ever get invited to a temple marriage in our family, but I'm shaping up to be that "long forgotten aunt". I get invited to weddings but my whole family is no longer Mormon so they are ordinary weddings. I get included so seldom that the wedding invitations get lost in the mail because nobody bothers to put my address or phone number in their fancy smart phones. Haven't been invited to a Christmas, birthday or other family event in years. I invite each member of my family to dinner on their birthday and don't even get the courtesy of a reply one way or the other. Phone calls never get returned. And my whole family lives in the same town! When my mother dies I'm seriously considering moving to a better climate and just leaving WNFN.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.