Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 08:15PM

The people on rfm have all discussed the church firing custodians and requiring members to clean the churches and temples. Because I live in the Moridor, lately I have heard some of my member friends discussing (of course no speaking ill of the lords anointed)! Some new requirements of members. Many are being asked to step up and allow missionaries to live with their families. Seems like the church no longer wants to have the expense of housing them. Also, my niece is serving back east. A new rule was issued that only a certain number of cars are allowed per zone. She and her companion have had their car taken away and now have to ride bikes. It's one thing to mention that the heat and humidity is brutal right now, and The winters are extremely harsh as well. But the worst is because they are sister missionaries, they have to ride in skirts!!! Her mother said she happily does what is asked of her and is grateful to serve.
I can't help but think of the frog in the boiling pot analogy!! The tbm's won't ever jump out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 08:23PM

As the membership continues to shrink, so too the budget.

It's making budget cuts we can only wonder about since it's never been transparent in its accounting.

Don't most of the member missionaries pay their own way though? My understanding was they pay for their housing if they can afford to. If not, only then does the ward budget stand in and assist to fill in the gap of what they or their parents are not able to provide.

Housing is budgeted though, and very low cost, traditionally. Rents have skyrocketed in the past 10-15 years. Where I live the missionaries used to rent an apartment down the street maybe like ten years ago (the last time,) when they stopped leasing there. At that time the apartment was maybe like $400-500 month. Today it's closer to $800-900 month,, maybe more. Rents where I live have doubled or tripled in the past decade - maybe that's true nationwide?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 08:24PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 08:40PM

Sure they have billions stashed away, but running an empire is not cheap. Watch for the signs.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 11:23PM

When I was a missionary we paid rent when we lived in a members house. It was a good deal for members who loved to have missionaries around and had spare rooms.

The only problem is that this led to missionaries getting too close to the family.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 08, 2016 11:31PM

I don't think the missionaries are living with families here any more because the only time I see missionaries out and about in our town they are in the worst sections where crimes like shootings and armed robbery are common. None of the members I know would live in those neighborhoods. For this reason I truly pity those missionaries. I'm surprised their bikes haven't been stolen and their lives threatened. Hope their parents will be proud they served when their son/daughter comes home in a pine box.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:03AM

My sister has housed missionaries for the last 3 years. I do think it is about money, but I imagine the fringe benefits of having cultish hard-liners monitor mishies is the real payoff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 12:06AM by fudley.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 07:41AM

Yet they spent an ridiculous amount of money building the Philadelphia Temple.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 07:59AM

Where I live the ward is rural. As in county rural. The stupid mission president has the missionaries in our ward riding bikes. It's harvest time and the roads will have lots of truckers on them. My area is also pretty windy(like Chicago). So riding bikes here isn't a great idea.

The ward did a special fast last week for the missionaries to find people. I don't know if it worked since most people are morg. They could've fasted that SLC and the mission president gave them a car.

Needless to say with them riding bikes I don't see them much afer SM. Or even elder's Qurom.

Stupid cult! And the morg bigwigs wonder why nobody's joining....

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:05PM

Oh, I thought this was about bishops and SPs having affairs...

(come on, somebody had to say it!)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:24PM

The population of North Korea is about the same as the US population under the sway of thought control cults like LDS, Scientology and JW.

I've given up on recreational drugs. The machinations of LDS Inc are far more trippy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.