Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 12:55PM

Holy hell!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:04PM

What is this from and what is the context it is being shown in. I am wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that this is not really something by the church. Don't ask me why I want to do that, but I just cannot believe this can possibly be institutional. If it is, this needs to go extremely viral. This is sick. Sick sick sick. And I sure hope my granddaughter never sees anything like this.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:20PM

Exact same "reasoning" that results in burkas in Islamic countries.
Nice, mormons. Way to remain in the dark ages.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 01:47PM

One of the saddest factors is that biology is part of this: young animals, especially mammals, put on a "show" not only to attract the opposite sex, but to show their "competition" how desirable they are. It's all in the deep set need to keep the species going.

I took a cue from one of my brothers, who is a very rational doctor, and told my kids to keep this Mother Nature aspect of behavior in mind, so they will understand, and be able to use their "higher human brain" to deal with feeling that are millions of years old.

Not understanding this is why women end up in burkas.

But geez...a stupid little poem instead a real discussion? I HOPE there is a discussion that goes with this that isn't god-based pablum.

P.S. Men are pigs. Weak headed horn dog pigs. No disrespect to pigs.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 03:16PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the saddest factors is that biology is part
> of this: young animals, especially mammals, put on
> a "show" not only to attract the opposite sex, but
> to show their "competition" how desirable they
> are. It's all in the deep set need to keep the
> species going.
>
> I took a cue from one of my brothers, who is a
> very rational doctor, and told my kids to keep
> this Mother Nature aspect of behavior in mind, so
> they will understand, and be able to use their
> "higher human brain" to deal with feeling that are
> millions of years old.
>
> Not understanding this is why women end up in
> burkas.
>
> But geez...a stupid little poem instead a real
> discussion? I HOPE there is a discussion that
> goes with this that isn't god-based pablum.
>
>
> P.S. Men are pigs. Weak headed horn dog pigs.
> No disrespect to pigs.

I would rather think that men can be pigs. Some men are actually gentlemen. As for me, I am somewhere in-between.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 03:33PM

(better put a big sarcasm tag on this one)

>And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked?

>And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

So we have a woman claiming there was this talking snake?

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 05:48PM

Regarding men and their (our) weak head problem, there is a blue pill solution for that. Just sayin' ...

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 03:59PM

Unbelievable! Anyone know where this came from? I'm guessing some ignorant local yocal, not corporate.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:29PM

That's the ticket! It's not officialâ„ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzypKxr9knA

Posted by: Alf o mega ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 04:25PM

I guess the court got it wrong on this 38 yr old seminary teacher raping a 16 yr old on the roof of the seminary.(He led guilty)
I knew the smug bastard

http://www.heraldextra.com/former-seminary-principal-gets-to-life-in-sexual-abuse-case/article_409f776c-c4e1-11df-bf69-001cc4c002e0.html

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 04:53PM

Highly doubtful that's official. The graphics don't have that lds.org look. And I searched for some of phrasing at lds.org and came up empty, too.

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 10:18AM

I don't know of any other organization with "Young Men" as an auxiliary. It may be a local interpretation, but I have no doubt this is LDS.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:00AM

Time for the politically incorrect. I'm a heretic at church and this site.

Of course, statements are taken to the extreme. Where does it say it is "All the fault of the girls"? I think there are situations you don't want your girls in.

I take it some of you teach your girls to go to fraternity parties and get drunk and pass out and expect nothing to happen? You want boys to be attracted to girls and never cross a line when it is made easy?

If I leave my wallet laying on a sidewalk I should not expect anyone to take it? No responsibility on my part? Yes it is theft if someone does, but I consider myself stupid for making it that easy.

As for the "men are pigs" comment. Fascinating that is tolerated so well here. Bigotry is alive and well. Can't imagine the vitriol if someone made such a comment about women in general.

Perhaps women cannot be the equal of men. They would have to be able to be insulted and punched in the face and take it without complaint. Man up! Grow a pair!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 08:08AM

Yes, women need to take reasonable precautions. Heck, *everyone* needs to take reasonable precautions. When I took martial arts classes for five years, one important thing that I learned is that even multi-degree black belts do not take unnecessary risks.

Having been to a number of fraternity parties, a woman manages risk at these parties by going with friends (the rule is that you all leave the party together,) not drinking the always-suspicious "punch," not overdoing it, and not going above the main floor. You can have a good time by using reasonable precautions.

Having said that, there IS no excuse for rape. All people are expected to have self control. There may be times when a woman (or man) has a lapse of judgment, and this does not excuse someone for taking advantage of this person.

To give you an example, as a college sophomore, I went out to a bar with two girlfriends and a guy friend. We all got drunk. The guy saw us safely home, and even brought a bowl to my bedside when I felt sick afterward. He sat with me a while to make sure that I was okay. Then he went home. He was a great guy with a wonderful character -- NOT an opportunist.

Is the Mormon church really teaching that all of its men are sexual opportunists? That is the question.

BTW, the one time that I was attacked (on a campus path,) I was wearing long jeans, an oxford-cloth shirt, and sneakers. Very covered up. If I had been called to testify against the man at trial, I was planning on wearing the exact same outfit. Fortunately the testimony of another girl that he attacked nailed him, and my testimony was not needed. Rape, or attempted rape, is not about what someone is wearing. It is about someone with a very poor character taking advantage.

Posted by: Marina ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 04:49PM

I sure hope that's not official. I do like the comment highlighting the foolishness of the other extreme where dumb young women are getting drunk in the company of male strangers whose character they know nothing of. It's true the rapist is a criminal but the victim in these cases is crazy for basically rendering themselves unconscious!

Posted by: Marina ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 04:52PM

You all, free man comment was a bit harsh and you're right about the sociopath, but keeping in mind that 1 in 10 have sociopathic tendencies is it wise for young women to basically paint a victim sign on themselves by getting black out drunk?

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 07:44AM

what if girl had been plied with drink, or had her drink spiked with something sinister?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:27AM

Yeah, anyone who wasn't a sociopath, wouldn't see a passed-out girl at a party as an opportunity to engage in rape. go away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 01:27AM by midwestanon.

Date: September 10, 2016 12:08PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 12:09PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 06:35AM

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 08:09AM

Wow, just wow! Typical contribution to Rape Culture by TSCC.

And they're blaming it on what women wear?

Five years ago, I went on a date with a guy that I was friends with for a year. I was fully covered, but that didn't stop the guy from trying to force himself on me. Even though I kept saying no and kept fighting him off of me.

Date: September 10, 2016 08:11AM

Right. See my own example above. Rape is not about what you are wearing. It is about someone with a poor character trying to take advantage of a situation.

Date: September 10, 2016 08:15AM

Exactly! I saw your post, and you're dead on. This board needs a "Like" button.

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 06:46PM

How awful to have been friends for a year and still not know of his terrible character. There is no safety.

Date: September 14, 2016 08:41PM

R2 Wrote:
> How awful to have been friends for a year and
> still not know of his terrible character. There is
> no safety.

I'll be honest, I felt dumb for not knowing about his terrible character. But he portrayed himself as a selfless gentleman, and he portrayed it well. I sincerely had no idea he was going to push himself on me on our second date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2016 08:43PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: men know the truth ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 09:53AM

It is some form of mental illness to compare a woman to a wallet (money). To define them as inanimate objects of fungible value is not "politically" incorrect, it is functionally incorrect.

This type of functional mental illness is nothing to scoff at. We shouldn't call the sufferers "pigs." They need treatment, possibly confinement. They are a danger to anyone whom they view as prey.

The majority of men do not rape, do not think of harming a scantily clad woman; most appreciate the beauty for a moment, then go back to what they were doing before she came into and passed out of view. They do not start following her, seeking the short or long term privacy required to harm her.

If they see such a mentally ill person harming a woman, they jump off of their bikes, detain the perpetrator, offer aid to the victim and call the police. They view women as human beings, with inalienable rights, even when they are passed-out drunk.

Summer's post is spot-on; predators seek opportunity, and they know the "inanimate meat" they want; it doesn't matter what cloth "the meat" is wearing. They only require privacy to harm another human.

Ask any mental health or FBI profiler, and they'll tell you that this mental illness is on a spectrum of behaviors, but it is on the same sliding scale. From mentally abusing a partner to causing the death of a stranger(s) - it is all about the perpetrator meeting his or her own needs without consideration of his/her victim's right to peacably enjoy life.

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Poem-Slams-Double-Standards-Of-Our-Society/#.ntlghf1jg

Date: September 10, 2016 12:10PM

Spot-on. It sounds like someone who was unable to consider someone else's emotional needs, or empathize with them. I could be wrong, but I think that is pretty close to a textbook definition of a sociopath.

Which is why 'Free Man' is appallingly misogynistic and wrong.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:15PM

I've got some spare time this afternoon--I think I'll go out and rape a boy.

Which girl should I blame it on?

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:20PM

Mormons see this principal as a felon and Joseph Smith as second only to Jesus Christ. Scratching my head...

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:36PM

This is awful. It sends the wrong signal to the wrong group.

Pragmatically speaking, there are far better ways to address the sexual tension between young adults.

Men: It doesn't matter what a woman is wearing or how she acts. She is not to be touched or in anyway accosted outside of a mutual relationship with full agreement. Treat all women with respect and recognize that what they wear is not meant as a personal message for you unless she says, "I wore this because I knew it would make you hot."

Women: Men are visual animals. They can get overheated easily, but it's never okay for a man to touch you or accost you regardless of what you wear. Keep in mind, however the amount of skin you reveal is generally proportional to the amount of sexual interest you'll arouse in men.

Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:06PM

I agree that this message is disturbing and that it's messages like this that contribute to a culture of rape and victim blaming.

However...

Let me ask a question:
"Is female beauty and sexuality a form of power?"

Either it is, or it isn't. Which is it?

I can immediately think of three women in my life who seem to get anything they want just because they are beautiful and have charming personalities... Men seem powerless around them. One girl had an older man buy her a house and a very nice car. Another recently bought her first house and, in the process of remodeling it, had 4-5 of her "guy friends" who would just show up over the space of several months to chip in hours of "free" labor... She just thought she had really good guy friends (I told her she was being naive and that they all wanted something--I was right). The third friend used her beauty and charm to land a very high-paying job that she was clearly unqualified for--the boss just "liked" her. I know women who take pleasure in ruining other peoples' relationships and marriages--just because they know they can.

Of course, none of these stories are shocking--I'm sure everyone reading this has countless stories of their own.

So... is their beauty a source of power or is it not?

See, it's perfectly acceptable to say that a woman's beauty and sexuality is a source of power when they wield it to get what they want...

...but when they become the target of unwanted attention--or much worse, the victims of rape--all of the sudden its taboo to suggest their beauty/femininity/sexuality/etc had even the tiniest of roles to play.

Either female beauty/sexuality is a power, or it's not. We can't just pick and choose when it is or when it isn't just to fit whatever narrative we want.

Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:12PM

Just to clarify my own position: It's NEVER okay for ANYONE to force themselves on someone else--and the victim is NEVER at fault.

Posted by: men know the truth ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 02:03PM

upThink Wrote:
Men seem powerless around them.

The functional word being, "seem." Not "all" men give up "power" so easily, and though you only listed examples of successful manipulations, I'm sure there are many more failures. Men for whom the choice remained above the waist would not be as obvious. I know such men, don't you?

>
> So... is their beauty a source of power or is it not?

I suppose we could make it a law that beautiful women are deemed abusive if they ask males for "favors." Men are not stupid.

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2012/12/problem-nice-guys/

If you are referring to psychopathic predators who hop from using -even killing- one man to the next for mere personal gain, how does that apply to "all beautiful women," or is that not an issue for you? That is, not being able to differentiate between a person's behavior and their appearance?

Or, maybe, beautiful women should just -never- expect that a man can be an authentic friend...?

Date: September 10, 2016 05:47PM

I'm sure that you know that even the elderly get raped.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:39PM

They sing praises of a rapist who founded their Doomsday Sex CULT. They wear a big giant Y on their heads and chests advertising that they're totally cool honoring a man who raped his follower's wives and teenage daughters. And they're cool with being told they're not good enough to have any power or authority over infinitely more powerful men.

Posted by: brigantia not logged in ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 05:04PM

Watch out Mormons, misogyny declared a hate crime over here in Blighty. Catcalling, marginalising and blaming girls risks prosecution.

Briggy

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 07:17PM

The story about the Seminary Principal is 6 years old. Is he still in prison? Will he be made a Bishop? Is he now gay? Did his wife divorce him? Does his victim visit him at prison? So many questions.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 09:41PM

More than that, it is endorsing rape.

I'm sick just thinking my daughters may have seen something like this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.