Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 09, 2016 06:53PM

Interesting stuff--thanks, Topper!

Language changes all the time all over the planet, whether we like it or not. A few years ago I was studying Spanish in Costa Rica. My teacher was Esteban, a young linguistics professor at the Univ. of Costa Rica in San Pedro. He chuckled as he related changes to written Spanish that were freaking out his older colleagues.

For example, those whippersnappers with cellphones were using "k" or "q" in place of "que"--"que" being the common Spanish pronoun closely aligned with "that" in English. It's hard to write more than a sentence or two in Spanish without using "que" and of course those pesky kids decided to speed up the process by substituting "k" or "q" for the "correct" word.

The senior linguistics profs were mortified that their students had wrested control of the language from their hands and were altering it to suit their own purposes. Esteban, meanwhile, had already switched over to the shorthand version. (A related abbreviation is "tkm" meaning "te quiero mucho" meaning "I love you/I want to jump your bones." I panicked the first time my [Latina] wife signed off a note with "tkm" because I didn't know what it meant--fortunately one of my stepdaughters, highly amused, filled me in.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 02:25AM

He was an elegant, older gentleman who taught Latin-American Literature. He always lectured in beautiful Castilian. Hearing him talk was almost like listening to music.

I had to go to his office once, to clarify something - and was SHOCKED to hear him speaking English. He had a THICK Boston accent - absolutely jarring to my SoCal ears. I had never heard him speak English before.

But oh, my - his Castilian Spanish was SO magical! And besides that, he was a marvelous instructor.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 04:08AM

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:53AM

I'm trying to learn French, which I'm having a hard time with.im trying to learn Canadian French ( Quebec) , which I'm having a hard time with because every course or lessons that I find are France French, which is different.
The Quebec French is the unchanged original French. I guess it's like learning old English ( Shakespearean style), I guess.
its classified as a Romantic language, like Spanish/ Italian, so it's hard for me.
English is a Germanic Language, like German, Swedish, so it's easier to pronounce,
I'm having trouble with the way French runs the words together vs pronouncing each word by itself.
It's also impossible in the states to find a French teacher who teaches Quebec French ( old, original French) vs France French

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 05:42PM

Why do you want to learn Quebec French instead of French French? Just interested.

I took French in school for three years (but it's not a good way to learn conversation, in my experience). I learned the structure of the language, which is important, but the vocab part suffered greatly.

Then I lived in Quebec for a year and my French was almost useless to me as I didn't have enough words. My French teacher in jr high, who was very attractive to me at the time, called on me in class to do a reading (embarrassing to a shy teen). When I was done he said "your accent is atrocious". Of course, I was mortified and it affected me forever after when trying to speak French.

I found (as is common with a second language, I've heard) that I learned to understand others much more quickly than I learned to speak it myself. But in Quebec I found the men's accent to be impenetrable and I could understand nothing they said. The women spoke exceedingly quickly but were more comprehensible.

After an entire year I could go to the shop myself and get the groceries in. That was about it. Pitiful.

Then I visited Paris (for a whole weekend!) once while in England. To my amazement, I could understand the people perfectly (except, of course, for vocab I still didn't know). But enough to get by quite well ordering in little restaurants and shopping. I also didn't get that uncomforable feeling that you do sometimes in Quebec that they don't want you there (because you're "English").

How do I say this inoffensively? The French French accent to my ears is softer and more pleasant than the harsher "twang" of the Quebec French.

Somewhat like the comment above about Castilian. Musical.

For sure, speaking of "atrocious" accents never in this life can I perfect the Quebec accent to sound like a Quebecer. I would just sound ridiculous. Or ridiculous-er if you will.

I love language though. And I sympathize with the purists who wince when rapid changes arise that are so noticeable and seem so regrettable. Then I find myself using the shortcuts too (especially when texting) and I know the end is nigh. :)

PS: I mentioned above learning the structure of the language - for me this was good in the end as that is how my brain processes things anyway. If I can understand how the language is put together and then add the words on top that is a good way, it turns out, for me to learn. It also came in unexpectedly useful when new neighbours recently arrived from the mideast. I could somewhat grasp their challenges when trying to learn English and I could figure out ways to help them. I used the same method I had at school when learning French but emphasized learning vocab more. I didn't mention 'nouns' or 'verbs' once, although that is certainly my first impulse. (I like to start at the beginning and build to the crescendo, in all things). (But most people don't have that kind of time or patience, I find). :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 05:46PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 07:47PM

Because I'd like to go to Quebec soon , within a year. I've only been to the Maritimes( PEI, NS,and NB) so far . I also want to see AB . Quebec looks very pretty and quaint ; I'd just like yo be able to speak at least a little French, their way , of course.
Summer, I did have some sites saved and a couple of movies in Québécois , but my husband , trying to " update" my I phone, deleted everything instead . LOL
What are some good beginners sites ? Where is the translate button?
If there're any RM from Quebec here, how was it over there?
Of course, I'll only be there a short time, just want to learn the basics , to be polite

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 10:36PM

Sounds like a great trip, Hockey Rat. I should have mentioned that it is beautiful there, Quebec City of course (old, certainly compared to my West Coast area), the St. Lawrence River (very romantic), etc. And the people were an interesting mix - many loved it that we were trying to learn and use French and they tried to help us. The guy in the grocery store was complimentary whenever I learned a new word. It was embarrassing though to have taken French for so many yrs at school and still not be able to buy groceries with comfort.

Back at home I have run into French-speaking people who I could communicate with, always a thrill. Especially when they ask for directions. I usually get in my car and have them follow me though rather than try to explain geography in a 2nd language, ha. Of course, these days they can just use GPS.

C'est la vie! Good luck with the language. It's always fun to learn.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 12:12AM

Ex-Quebec RM checking in.

The regular HS-college-MTC French you've been exposed to will be of no use in Quebec as far as understanding the locals. You will have no problem making yourself understood however, since the French Canadians understand Parisian French perfectly well. It takes several months of full immersion before the Quebec dialect begins to make sense.

A few differences:

The short "i" sound ("ee" in France) sounds like in English. "Dix" (10) in Quebec is pronounced "diss."

"Oui" is pronounced like the English "way." ("ouais")

The consonants "t" and "d" are frequently lengthened to "ts" and "dz." So a question like "Qu'est-ce qui t'a dit ça?" ("Who told you that?") comes out sounding like "Qu'est-ce qui ts'a dzit ça?"

The national food of the Québécois, poutine, is pronounced "puts in" rather than "pooteen." And so on.

The dialect of the Gaspé Peninsula, I've been told, is even more extreme than the rest of the province. It's barely comprehensible even to other Québécois. I never served in the Gaspé, so I can't confirm that firsthand.

Never say the following three words in Quebec: "tabernac," "sacrifice," and "hostie." Those are blasphemous curses in a culturally Catholic world, and you will be despised if you speak them.

Try searching for terms like "quebec french." There may be YouTube instructional videos you can access. Good luck.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 05:52PM

You can follow Quebec newspapers and media on Facebook -- also Francophone celebrities. I often read their posts and then hit the "translate" button to check my efforts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 05:54PM

I do understand that language changes over time. Here's a new one that boggled my mind lately -- a new use for the word, "receipts." For instance, "I saw a great concert yesterday, and I have the receipts!" -- meaning, I think, that the writer is going to tell a complete account of their experience.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 07:21PM

As Chaucer said, about our language:

"Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thowsand yere, and wordes tho
That hadden prys, now wondernyce and straunge
Us thynketh hem, and yet they spake hem so."

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 08:45PM

My brother learned standard French but did his mission in Montreal. He used to poke gentile fun at the thick, impenetrable accents.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 11:22PM

I'm a bilingual illiterate.
I can't read and write in two different languages.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.