Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 09:43AM

Just an update. We had a fund raising in the Spring (2016) and are in good shape until next Spring (2017). We currently have $2,198.00 in the Paypal account. We are not asking for donations at this time. I spent $100.00 on some web development software and learning it now for updates.

We use tech support frequently as the database is large and we are rarely charged. We are on a dedicated server which is backed up daily. There are cheaper alternatives, but I can call and get help immediately most of the time. The personal service is worth the extra cost.

I am sure it flusters the Mormon church that such a small budget can create big issues for them. Again, thanks for those who contributed. I will update the finances again in November.

Below is a typical monthly invoice:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C U S T O M E R S T A T E M E N T
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WingNET Internet Services Statement Generated: 09/10/2016
P.O. Box 2605 Account Number: 3092
Cleveland, TN 37320-2605 Invoice Number: 3092-169
US Tax ID #: 62-1831233
VOICE: 423.559.5465 FAX: 423.559.5145

Transaction Detail Covering 09/09/2016 - 09/10/2016

DATE DESCRIPTION CHG TAX TOTAL
==============================================================================

09/09/2016 Balance Forward 62.41
09/10/2016 CHARGE: 100.00 0.00 100.00
Web Hosting Special 100Mb Rate
Service Name: 'exmormon.org'
from 10/01/2016 to 10/31/2016
Reference Number: 552876
09/10/2016 CHARGE: 5.95 0.00 5.95
Email Hosting 5/5
Service Name: 'exmormon.org'
Reference Number: 552877
09/10/2016 CHARGE: 0.00 0.00 0.00
Complimentary WINGNET Email
Service Name: 'erickett@wingnet.net'
Reference Number: 552912
09/10/2016 CHARGE: 35.00 0.00 35.00
Web Hosting Special Rate
Service Name: 'virtual server & backup'
Reference Number: 553016

=========***********************************========

PAST DUE $62.41 DUE IMMEDIATELY
NEW UNPAID CHARGES $140.95 DUE 09/25/2016
-------------
ACCOUNT BALANCE $203.36

If paying by check, please write 'account 3092' in the memo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 10:10AM

And, you are transparent with the finances, Eric. Unlike that organization we are all recovering from! Thank You!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 02:43PM

+1

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 10:45AM

What is the situation regarding your plans for exmormon(dot)org upon your incapacitation or demise?

I don't expect a detailed response here, but hope you have given it consideration...

Date: September 10, 2016 11:18AM

Do you know someone or group who would wish to take it over? I get tons of criticism for its old design and layout. It is kept simple, but it is terribly dated. A few people offered to update and did not follow through.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 11:31AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 01:26PM

I like simple, Eric. I'm old and slow to adapt to change...keep it as is...it works!! And thanks!

Ron Burr

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 09:01PM

"Do you know someone or group who would wish to take it over?"

Eric, not that I have a dog in the fight, but I would think that it would be a good idea to set up the website and BB to be folded into something like the ExMormon Foundation or Mormonthink when the time comes. Maybe you could draw up some sort of a contract or mission statement that would ensure that RFM be continued with the same basic mission and values which you have kept up all these years.

Date: September 12, 2016 09:40PM

I am going to work on that. In a few weeks there should be a plan in place. Thanks for the concern. RfM is a group effort.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 10:17PM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 11:39AM

Incapacitation or demise? Porter Rockwell? Danites?

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 11:44AM

I say we form a group called The Intellectual Preserve, Inc. Let's create an endowment with it's sole mission to be maintaining finances and continuous accessibility for the website in perpetuity.

Posted by: StilAnon ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:04PM

Careful whom you copy. Next thing it'll turn into a caste system. Full commenting & viewing for those that "contribute" monthly. They get to associate with all the upper tier members. Then, you have your "inactive" members that don't contribute financially. They can view comments, but can't post comments or attend exmo meetups. Then last, you'll have your outer darkness group. Those will be blocked from viewing exmormon.org until they repent & realize the error of their sins. Seems like I've seen this somewhere before.

Date: September 10, 2016 12:24PM

The site will always allow anonymity with no requirement to donate. If either were to ever change, I would not associate with the site. In other words, there will never be a tiered membership. We have great admin and tech volunteers who quietly work in the background to make this place run as smooth as possible.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:27PM

I know Eric. That was a satirical post.

Date: September 10, 2016 01:21PM

I'll pay $1000 to be named the "Non-Profit's Seer and Tabulator."

Date: September 10, 2016 12:33PM

It's not an issue of change, it's an issue of continuation, hopefully exactly as it is now. What plan(s) exist to make sure payment notices are read and given proper response, especially the ownership of the domain.

TMSH's mention of a committee has some merit, but that's as far as my limited acumen, not to mention mortality, goes.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 01:46PM

Yes, "Business Continuity Planning" is common parlance at work for this type of thing - who's going to run the place should some catastrophe occur? How will they do it?

Date: September 11, 2016 02:39PM

I don't know about the rest of Exmormon(dot)org because I only use RfM, so there's a lot more to the project of the continuing the Domain and its work than just preserving RfM.

One thing that ought to be taken into consideration in terms of preservation is that it retain its "Erik K" 'tone' or 'direction.' This can be difficult because when the guiding hand is absent, those in charge can't resist, no matter how hard they try keep, to THEIR 'tones' and 'directions' from seeping in. The cry, "Erik wouldn't have done that!!" will accompany any changes that occur, no matter how beneficial.

How long will an Exmormon site be needed? At least until the Second Coming...

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 04:09PM

Heavenly Father expects there to be a tiered system to things. If you want to be worthy then as a start you have got to fork over at least 10% of your gross income to the beloved leadership. Then you can move up the chain of worthiness to become more elite than others. However you can only remain worthy if you never question the authority of the beloved leaders or ask them unapproved questions. The prophet hath spoken and thus the debate is over. Isn't it marvelous how transparent, honest, and glorious that Mormonism is :)

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 11:36AM

Plain and simple: exmormon.org rocks.

Posted by: Still Lurking ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 11:44AM

Thank-you, Eric. Let people criticize; this is easy to navigate without a lot of nonsense like tag-lines and avatars.

Date: September 10, 2016 12:16PM

This is the bandwagon I'm on; RfM is what it is and I get a big kick out of it.

"We don't need no stinkin' bells and whistles!"
--Pathos Lagrimas, on the occasion of the invention of the steam-powered guillotine

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:16PM

The layout is dated, but it is easy to navigate, and you cannot say that about slick new looking internet forums. My only complaint is that I wish you could somehow Implement a private messaging system within the Forum. I don't know if it is even possible with the software that the form is ran on, but I think that would be a wonderful feature.

Other than that, no complaints. Some things used to bug me, but I've gotten so used to them, that frankly I find them convenient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 12:18PM by midwestanon.

Date: September 10, 2016 12:24PM

Yeah, but this is the only website I've been on where you can pay a few bucks extra for the keyboard switch that turns on other people's webcams so you can watch them pick their noses...and stuff... Since finding that out, I ALWAYS wear a white shirt and tie when I'm on RfM.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 02:52PM

So that is why the camera on my laptop keeps blinking. Just so that you know, the magazine I was reading last Tuesday was an Ensign.

Date: September 10, 2016 03:02PM

The Ensign has a fold out section now??? If you would read by something other than the light from your TV, I could have seen the title....

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 03:11PM

To all the webcam snoopers out there, all I can say is I'M not ashamed: enjoy the eye candy.

Date: September 10, 2016 03:20PM

The exmormon.org web cam exploit does not always work.

Date: September 10, 2016 03:22PM

which is why I don't mind paying extra, so I can count on it working~!~!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 12:48PM

We greatly appreciate your work and dedication Eric. And the older interface is more than adequate.

I suggest that you file for an IRS 501c3 status if you haven't done that already. In addition to the tax benefits, the process will force you to file articles of incorporation, with bylaws, and to select board members. Those are the foundation of the organization (internal rules) that you hope to have outlive you. At first, keep everything very close, with yourself and family and close friends controlling the board. Carefully bring in new board members, one at a time vetting and grooming them over time. You don't have to give up control that way, until you want to retire, or in the unfortunate event that the board is forced to enact your succession plans due to your demise. But this all takes time to do right. You might want to start right away.

I've been a board member of a public charity for several years now and due to other commitments, I don't aspire to be the CEO myself. We're always looking and vetting the volunteers. After five years of looking this way, we just recently found someone who is so dedicated to the cause itself (with or without us), that we invited her on to the board and told her that we want to groom her to take over as CEO some day if our current CEO can't continue. This is how to plan for succession. Also any of the board members in our organization would resign if the group wanted them to, most likely without any damage to the personal friendships or even the person wanting to stop volunteering. Those are the kinds of people to look for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 12:59PM by azsteve.

Date: September 11, 2016 01:43PM

Sounds like a great idea.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 02:49PM

Being that I'm fairly new here, I find this site to be verily verily informative and I visit daily unless I've locked myself outside again and I'm praying on the porch to find the key I have hidden somewhere but can't remember.

My only question at the moment is, when will we build a mall? What would the name of that mall be? And, will there be a coffee shop inside?

In all seriousness, this is my favorite site and I always come here first before checking the local bookings page. I hope to see my Mother-in-law there one day.

Date: September 11, 2016 07:39AM

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: September 13, 2016 04:12AM

Thank you Eric K and all the past and present mods!

Glad to see the financial transparency and the discussion on how to keep this wonderful and helpful site running :)

We've happily donated in the past when the need has arisen.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: September 13, 2016 12:42PM

Thank you for your work. How hard can it be for tscc to show their finances in this way?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.