Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Paul Dunn ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 02:59AM

Christadephians are a sect much smaller than either Mormons or JW`s,yet they have an evangelistic outreach without direct door knock activity.They must think they are only to be saved in the kingdom of god .They are rarely heard of in the media.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 03:05AM

They're delicious steamed, with drawn butter.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 02:16PM

None for me. I'm allergic to Christaceans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 02:16PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 10:30AM

I remember seeing their name in a phone book decades ago. Their numbers were small here like they were/are for the Nazarenes, Christian Scientists and RLDS.

RB

Posted by: Robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 10:36AM

SIL in Rhode island is one. I don't recommend it.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 05:58AM

Yes, I studied with Christadelphians a few years prior to Mormons.

I concluded they were just another delusional (albeit with many sincere and decent members) cult.

I think this sums it up rather well and presented by a prior lifelong Christadelphian who wrote and published much of their proselytising material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUyUcyj3CT0

His biography as a Christadelphian here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jgTQnFNCI

Christadelphians tend to be well educated people, except for Formal Theology (ie University standard).

I once asked a very prominent Christadelphian if any members had ever studied Theology and Biblical History formally?

He replied that he knows of two members that did and they subsequently both left the faith, so they don't recommend it.

They also try to avoid any sciences that support evolution and instead insist on instant creation of Adam and Eve.

In brief Christadelphians believe, only they have the truth and that only 'obedient' members will survive Armageddon, the rest will perish with the rest of the earths population. The faithful Christadelphians will 'assist' Christ in cleansing the earth of unbelievers (with swords perhaps). lol

And after this Armageddon, only past deceased (baptised) Christadelphians will then be resurrected, but those who didn't follow obediently will be resurrected to die again( second death).

Yes it's Crazy and I wonder how many converts or younger members know exactly what they really believe?

Posted by: Anon4This0 ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 08:21AM

I'm pretty sure they're a lot less cult-y than mormons. They're allowed to drink alcohol, have sex outside of marriage, drink tea and coffee. I think they're allowed to smoke as well. And they're allowed to swear too.

It seems a lot less controlling than mormonism to me. If I could choose between being born into a mormon or Christadelphian family I would choose the latter.

I think one of their beliefs that differentiates them from most other Christian-based churches is that they don't believe that Satan/the devil exists. I guess when they're mentioned in the Bible they see it as more of a metaphorical thing?

NOTE: I haven't done any research into this religion, my whole post is based off what I've learnt/observed from Christadelphians that I personally know.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 02:08PM

"They're allowed to drink alcohol, have sex outside of marriage, drink tea and coffee. I think they're allowed to smoke as well."

Not really allowed sex outside of marriage as they call that 'Fornication'.
Allowed to drink alcohol moderately but not be drunk.
Tea and Coffee allowed as neither are harmful to themselves or others around.
Smoking is tolerated but not encouraged for obvious reasons.

Not allowed to serve in the military/police or on any judicial system as I recall.

You are correct about their view on Satan not being a real living entity/being, though they claim to believe the bible so when Jesus was tempted by Satan and conversed with him they claim that to mean that Jesus was being tempted by his own human nature.

It's amazing how one can interpret the bible and no matter what the interpretation is, there is usually someone and more who will believe it and it make sense to them.

They think middle east events and world events have been foretold in the bible and that we are in the last days.

As with all organised religions, nothing they expect or interpret actually happens in reality any more or less than anyone just guessing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 04:06PM

>
> Not really allowed sex outside of marriage
> as they call that 'Fornication'.
>
> Tea and Coffee allowed as neither are
> harmful to themselves or others around.
>

A little fornication is not harmful to "...themselves or others around..." when it's done correctly!!

Posted by: patbestwick ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 09:28AM

In my splinter group, we were beaten regularly. We were subjected to physical, psychological, and sexual abuse. Everything was a sin, and no dissent or free thinking was permitted. Some of my family members attempted suicide, and some succeeded in the attempts.

Their religious doctrines bordered on the psychotic.

And all of these people called themselves Christadelphians at one point or another in their lives.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 02:13PM

Their founder, like Sidney Rigdon, was aligned with the Campbellites in Ohio, and then broke away once he started to preach his own "interpretations."

It would be interesting to see if he (John Thomas -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thomas_(Christadelphian) ) ever wrote any opinion of mormonism. He was with Alexander Campbell starting in 1832, not long after Rigdon had taken off with some Campbellites for mormonism.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 07:02PM

mentioned throughout this lecture, which totally exposes the MORmON scam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cob_0tcuQD8

Posted by: patbestwick ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 09:29AM

Both religions are fraudulent scams.

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 07:04PM

Sounds like a family of insects or some smaller member of the animal kingdom. The truth is far less enjoyable though.

Posted by: AnonNowatthemoment ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 10:17PM

I remember (because of the peculiar name on their banner) seeing a few sitting in a booth once. At my local county fair. Circa 1973.

They looked pleasant enough.

This finishes my report of my knowledge about the Christadelphians. Glad to be of service!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 11:28PM

We had a Christadelphian infestation several years ago on my ranch in northern California. I called an exterminator who came out, baited some traps, and after a couple weeks, no more problems.

You gotta use baited traps rather than just setting out bait. The Cristadelphians will eat the bait, then crawl into the walls and die. After a couple weeks they start stinking like hell and you've got a major problem finding them and digging out the corpses. Nobody wants that. Just stick to traps--you'll thank me.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 10:37AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 12:20PM

I am sure they had a presence here i Lethbridge when I was a kid, as did Christian Science.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 12:39PM

Did they go to airports & ask donations ?

Did they hand out literature at street corners?

If not … I want my money back!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 01:49PM

Thank you Pat Bestwick for drawing our attention to them. Until today, they were just a name to me. Now I know better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.