Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 03:44AM

Posted to the Sam Young episode of Mormon Stories ...

===============

beyondashadow
September 11, 2016 at 1:03 am

Sam, here is some perspective for you. Sometimes it’s helpful to transmogrify a confusing, complicated scenario into something with similar elements where the best decision is dirt simple. Try this:

You go into a new restaurant for dinner and order their daily special. After a while, the server sets a bowl of salad and a plate of entree and side dish down in front of you. The food looks a little odd, but you go ahead and take a bite of the salad. The dressing tastes like diesel fuel fuel or something. It tastes so bad you have to spit it out immediately. Then you try a bite of the entree dish. It’s no better than the salad. It tastes like fertilizer. You try the side vegetable, and it burns your mouth like it has Drano on it or something. Nothing in front of you even qualifies as food. You realize that if you eat any of it, you will get very sick.

How do you resolve this situation?

A. Call the server over and tell her that you vote Thumbs Down on the food, and that you need access to the kitchen so you can instruct the chef in the art of preparing acceptable, edible food. You feel it’s your duty to save the other restaurant patrons from getting sick from tainted food.

-or-

B. Get up and leave, and go find another restaurant that serves real food.

The moral of the story? Some things that are broken can be fixed. Other things are broken to the core and cannot be salvaged. Figuring out when to fix it and when to declare it a total and walk away. Those are important distinctions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 05:39AM

The mormon church is based on the premise that Joseph Smith saw god and Jesus with his own eyes in a first vision. I am pretty sure that everyone knows that he lied about that. You can't build anything truely good on a foundation of lies. The mormon church needs to be put down like a rabid dog. Call it a total loss. Start from scratch with something that is not sullied by lies and corruption. These fools that lead the church and who believe that they have been guaranteed through a secret ceremony, godhood in the next life, need to know that they are just uninspired men who took a wrong turn in life. The church members need to quit following them.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 05:50AM

Thanks for chiming in, az.

I think you are being generous with "These fools that lead the church and who believe that they have been guaranteed through a secret ceremony, godhood in the next life, need to know that they are just uninspired men who took a wrong turn in life."

I must disagree with labeling them "fools".

Howzabout shrewd parasite predators who live high sucking the life energy out of hapless victims unlucky enough to get trapped in their clever web of ego-stroking mind control.

Call it a total loss. Start from scratch. I could not agree more with those sentiments, az.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 06:21AM

Agree 100%.

It wasn't a religion in the the first place. To outsiders it's patently clear that Mormonism was a total fraud from the very beginning -- and people said so back in the nineteenth century.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 01:35PM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Start from scratch...

Why even bother starting "it" over again? Who needs religion; they're all scams!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 12, 2016 02:59AM

I think there is or could be a lot of value in building a religious organization that focuses on building your faith in what little we do know, and in building community. It would be more like men and women doing what they can to make the world a better place, without the dogma or attempting to control people's lives. There will always be a void that is filled by religious beliefs. Every culture has religion. Someone might as well promote healthy beliefs over unhealthy ones. To just say that there is no god and expect everyone to buy that sells humanity short. Neither faith nor athiesm can be proven. Faith can be a powerful modivator if it's carefully managed and not squandered on cults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 03:06AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Crazy_stev3 ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 06:37AM

It's a dumpster fire: even if you put out the flames, it's still a pile of garbage.
Nothing worth salvaging from the mormon fraud.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 10:07AM

Have to disagree to some extent-maybe out of self-defense since I have participated both on the stand and the pews. There is, although unmeasurable, a populace of ANY church that go and don't believe a word of the trappings. They find comfort, solace or even friendship. Met many LDS who privately confessed same. I believe there are Methodists, Catholics.....and others in the same situations. I find much of the above solace and comfort late at night by myself on the cool back porch these days....and it's paid for. Also at age 70 I wonder what is around the corner and the many mistakes made do pop in my memory....

Gatorman
2-0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2016 10:08AM by gatorman.

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 10:34AM

Is there anything to be saved? Are you trying to just the change the most hurtful doctrines? Change the culture? Bottom line is, it isn't true. It could change in any number of ways to serve it's members better, but it still wouldn't be true.

For those that don't care if it is true, but just feel attached to it for whatever reason (heritage, family, habit), then some changes could be made, but not without upheaval. There is a history of excommunicating members that don't follow the party line, and that will certainly increase as members push for change. But if they start to have congregations where 40-50% of members refuse to follow teachings, but also refuse to quietly resign, eventually I think some change would come. They won't ex everyone.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 11:15AM

Even if a ward decided to ignore correlation and do its own thing, the stake would just clean house and install church broke people.

It's good that TSCC is broken beyond repair. It's about time the wheels fell off the cart. Let the members get out and walk.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 11, 2016 02:09PM

By definition, all religions are fatally flawed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.