Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 13, 2016 04:35PM

So the church will be releasing the new book "Administrative Records, Council of Fifty, Minutes, March 1844–January 1846"

Supposedly, those producing this book had full access to the Clayton records and goes "in-depth" to the contents of what the Council of 50 discussed.

Any historians out there want to weigh in regarding the process the Joseph Smith project used and IF they "selectively" discarded some juicy tidbits of information that was just too embarrassing to publish and make known?

https://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Smith-Papers-Administrative-1844-January-ebook/dp/B01L2LX0B6#nav-subnav

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: September 13, 2016 11:57PM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any historians out there want to weigh in
> regarding the process the Joseph Smith project
> used and IF they "selectively" discarded some
> juicy tidbits of information that was just too
> embarrassing to publish and make known?

That, of course, happened all too often in the past when Joseph Fielding Smith ran the show, but I really think the documents now being released by the Joseph Smith Project are being accurately represented. I personally feel men like Dean Jessee have personal integrity and a solid commitment to the truth for that to happen today.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 12:11AM

I'll believe the church has some small measure of integrity when they return the stolen family histories and journals.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 12:26AM

I didn't mean to imply for a minute that I thought the church itself had any integrity. Frankly, the leaders like Holland and Oaks are a bunch of lying bastards in my book. If they weren't, they would honestly admit "work for the dead" is a sham and missions today are a waste of time and money.

I was just referring to some of the individuals involved with the Joseph Smith Papers Project. Notice none of them are ever called to high positions. They are much too honest to be leaders of the Mormon Cult.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 10:52AM

I understand. But I think these gentlemen could also push to return stolen property.

Some decades ago the church asked that people donate pioneer journals supposedly for preservation. They promised the family access to them.

The journals dissapeared.

My great great grandmother's details her getting the second annointing. If we had turned it in it would have surely dissapeared.

I am sure these gentlemen do the best they can with what they are given. I am not sure they are given everything.

Posted by: Anonculous ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 11:27AM

^^^^^^^^^
This

I haven't seen this mentioned in a while, I think it needs to be reiterated regularly.

DON'T turn journals or any historic documents over to TSCC. ever.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 06:16PM

I wouldn't put it past leadership that those records were destroyed or holed up somewhere in the mountain and whoever knew of their existence passed away.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 06:26PM

When they start openly discussing the Second Anointing then maybe I'll believe they are really making 'an effort' to come clean with everything.

But the sugar-coated essays are reason enough to say that the church still does not want everything in plain site.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 14, 2016 06:28PM

"Council of Fifty Shades of Grey" would be a more appropriate title for a book containing the meeting notes from a bunch of polygamists.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.