Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 07:40PM

Some stakes are bragging of indexing over a million names.

For what purpose?
Where do they find these names?
What is indexing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 07:41PM

If they thought their brags were impressing you, how sad they must be now!

Posted by: surf40 ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 07:50PM

Indexing is the taking of hand written census records, and making them digital. This requires a set of human eyeballs to looks at the 100 year old written records, and then typing them into a computer. Once the records are digital, they can be sorted, searched and filed in a computer database. The hand written records cannot.

The church developed a web site where you can sign up, then download a batch a census records, and enter them into a form.
Why they are doing this I will leave to your imagination!

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 04:05PM

my husband's uncle and aunt are doing this. With great vigor, I might add.

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 07:51PM

To torture those of us in the ward who they're afraid to give a "good" calling to....I was an indexer....

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 08:05PM

The more that the powers that be can get you to submit to what they tell you to do the more powerful their mind control over you becomes.

The only power that they have over you is the power that you give them.

Posted by: allout ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 01:18AM

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 11:22AM

Bingo!

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:00PM

I thought the church owned ancestry.com, or at least had enough involvement that they were profiting from it.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:09PM

Nope, they don't own it. They did sell a huge amount of data to them for $60 million. Part of the deal was that they have an ongoing data supply commitment, hence the ridiculous push for indexing (name extraction) by all members during every waking hour.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 22, 2016 12:41AM

I also thought the church owned Ancestry.com, but I guess I was wrong about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 12:42AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: TomTom ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:05PM

Actually this project is one of the best things the Church has done in recent years.

Sure they're profiting from it, but it actually a worthwhile legacy for people to trace their history be they LDS or not.

I'm not active but I do index fairly regularly and benefit from the free access to family search and ancestry in return. Win win.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:45PM

I'd rather see the people who work so hard doing this get paid for it rather than the corporation making a profit off it's volunteers.

Indexers should be paid a fee per entry. What a great job this would be for someone working from home.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 01:09PM

Yes! This could be great for someone who needs the extra cash! Not so great for member slave labor to line the pockets of TSCC.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 01:34PM

This is a profit-making project.
The Church is taking away jobs and pimping its members. Gee, even pimps usually give their women a LITTLE of the money.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 01:49PM

But think of all the treasures in heaven you earn!

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 02:05PM

Dead Cat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But think of all the treasures in heaven you earn!

And you don't pay taxes on treasurer in heaven (I suppose).

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 04:27PM

I have family members who spend hours and hours doing this 'service'.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 01:03PM

I too have family members who brag about doing this.

I don't understand the obsession some have with genealogy (including my dad, RIP). My family is a toxic stew...I don't particularly care to know who they are or where they came from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 01:14AM by nomonomo.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 04:29PM

What's the point of it all is the biggest mystery there is. I have a close relative who spends 12 hours a day fixing family search the way she thinks the genealogy should read. Deleting people, putting people in. Connecting names. Of course no source material is used at all, it's all guess work. She is Constantly fighting with others who are messing with family search.

It seems to be an escape for those who don't want to work or go out in society? The church is even getting the inmates involved in this project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 04:30PM by poopstone.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 08:40PM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the point of it all is the biggest mystery
> there is. I have a close relative who spends 12
> hours a day fixing family search the way she
> thinks the genealogy should read. Deleting people,
> putting people in. Connecting names. Of course no
> source material is used at all, it's all guess
> work. She is Constantly fighting with others who
> are messing with family search.
>
> It seems to be an escape for those who don't want
> to work or go out in society? The church is even
> getting the inmates involved in this project.

I can't speak for the other stuff your relative does, but the basic job of indexing is legit.

Older census records were hand written into paper ledger-type books, so they only exist as images. Moreover the cursive handwritten entries are not amenable to optical character recognition. These factors make it impossible to digitally search for someone. The solution is to have human readers transcribe them line by line by manual reading/typing; quite a huge pile of work.

Once digitally indexed, the database can now be searched with google-like speed, precision and accuracy. This helps facilitate "real" genealogy work as well as the crackpot mormon name-gathering scam, because the index data is sold to/shared with the real world in many ways (not sure of the details of this part).

For example, a few years ago, the 1940 US census reached the magic age of 72 and was released by the national archives to the public, creating a need for a shit ton of
indexing all at once.

https://www.census.gov/history/www/genealogy/decennial_census_records/the_72_year_rule_1.html

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 07:32PM

I wonder how many of those names have been submitted before.
Seems almost redundant with all the previous research. And what happens when there is a mistake in the recording of the information?

Seems like a good idea to get the information recorded, but does that mean more names for temple work even if it has already been done once (or twice)?

Is there anyone who double checks the information, or checks even names submitted to the temple, or the family connections on ancestry.com?

Seems like it leaves room for a lot of incorrect data.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 10:13PM

There is no real pressure on 'getting it right'. That's because the saints have been assured that things will be 'set straight' by Jesus and his celestial computers during the millennium.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 11:16PM

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 12:22AM

So what kind if integrity check is there on this indexing? If you're in a bad mood or feel like causing trouble, you could read a hand-written record of someone named John Doe, and record his name as Fred Brown in the digital record. With all of the human errors and trouble-makers in this world, that information has to be less than reliable. But worse than that, when the information goes bad, no one will know it's bad. I guess that as long as they keep dead-dunking people and people keep paying their tithing, it doesn't really matter. If you get baptised or do an endowment ceremony for a made-up name, the money still keeps coming in to the church.

Posted by: ehemaliger ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 03:52PM

My understanding is that every record us processed at least twice, with discrepancies going through an arbitration process.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 04:30PM

It's to keep members busy and interested in temple work so that they still feel it worth handing over ten percent of their income.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: September 22, 2016 12:36AM

Exactly. Image processing software is well advanced enough to handle these handwritten documents. I just saw a story tonight about ancient Hebrew scrolls being scanned by X-Ray in 3D, w/o unrolling, and being deciphered, and that the software used would soon be open source (i.e. Free). Certainly cursive writing can be processed. Indexing is just about keeping the sheeple busy and subservient, making them feel as if they are contributing to some higher cause.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: September 22, 2016 07:26AM

One wonders why God, who knows us all by name, needs members to collate a bunch of names He already has.

It's like making soldiers dig holes just to keep them busy and to stop them from moaning or realising the plan's stupid....oh, wait...

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 04:43PM

I was one of them. Hated it...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.