Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 10:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 10:05PM

yeah quit.
Hahahhahahahahhahahahahahah just kidding.

Date: September 15, 2016 10:05PM

Touche.....lol

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 10:16PM

ok but seriously, get some really good smelling tobacco and no one will complain. ;)

Date: September 15, 2016 11:19PM

I got me some applewood and sunset rum! So we will see!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 05:11PM

Don't let the stem cause wear on your teeth.

And avoid cancer of the mouth.

Posted by: truenomore ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 10:15PM

Me Too! Got tired of feeling torn when it came to not having enough time to enjoy a nice Cuban cigar but having a desire to taste some nice tobacco and relax a bit. I'm having to figure it out on my own a bit. The chap at the store I purchased mine gave me some instruction to start.

Essentially, the tricks are found in how you pack the bowl and accepting you will have to relight you bowl several times during a smoke.

However, as this world gets more complex and crazy with technology and increasing demands and expectations I have found that walking the dog while enjoying the pipe with some fragrant pipe tobacco is a nice relaxing pleasure.

True, no amount of tobacco can be deemed safe but then again as I transition from Mormon dogma I'm beginning to more fully embrace how important your quality and enjoyment of this life is...not simply quantity and longevity - live yes....but live well.

Here is a link to a primer. Enjoy.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/10/14/a-pipe-smoking-primer/

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 11:51PM

As a Mormon, your life was just about over wasn't it? Funny how it took old Joe to make us lighten up.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 12:03AM

Research which Native American tribes hold the tobacco sacred and make it your business to learn and respect that tradition.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 10:23PM

Tips?
Yes. Buy your smoke in Colorado.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 10:10AM

Or Washington, or Oregon, or Alaska, or dc.........

:-)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 10:37PM

My ggggrandmother was a pipe smokin' mother of 12. Her husband a bodyguard of Joseph.

I figure with that many younguns, she needed something stronger than KoolAid to get her through her days. She also lived to be a few months shy of 92.

Her husband didn't fare so well. His body gave out at 66, from the early Mormons being driven from one place to the next - sometimes in the dead of winter.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 11:59PM

Was she also "sealed" to Joseph?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:15AM

No, thank God for that!

Her husband was a first or second counselor to the Smith uncle at the Adam Ondi Ahman stake there in Missouri, when it was formed. (However short-lived that was.)

He was also a pony courier for Smith, according to one of my cousins who I was fortunate to meet in 2015 when visiting St. George.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 07:07AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 10:45PM

Well, Bro, I understand the attraction. I actually like the smell of pipe tobacco, and it does look pretty classy. And, of course, you didn't mention which type of ... was in the pipe!

Unfortunately, even though pipe smokers do not inhale the smoke, oral cancer can easily develop. I've had a desire to smoke some really fine Cuban cigars...(you know what I'm going to say.)

Take good care of your health, Bro! One of the worst days of my life happened when a doctor said to me, "Boner, you have cancer. We have to move on this quickly." Fuck cancer!

Date: September 15, 2016 11:19PM

Oh no! I didn't know. How's that all fairing for you? Not too serious I hope? :/

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 11:12PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 11:22PM

None legal.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 15, 2016 11:23PM

Quit. NOW!!!!! I smoked a pipe from early on in my 19 years of tobacco use. It was never as satisfying as dedicated pipe smokers would have you believe and when you clean your pipe and scrape out all that black tar it should tell you something about what's in the smoke you're inhaling. I quit 33 years ago BTW.

Ron

Date: September 15, 2016 11:24PM

Damnit, Ron! Why do you have to make sense? It's like you're the holy ghost in cyber form. lol

Date: September 16, 2016 12:23AM

Holy Fucking Ghost indeed!! LOLOLOL....been called a lot of things...but that's a first.

RB

ps: I was kinda pissed when my ol' lady tossed my last and best pipe....but I'd long quit smoking and remembered the whole tar deal and chilled.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 02:00AM

EQ Drop Out, Ron is indeed the spirit worth listening to here. Ron, you wanker, you're fuckin' wonderful!

(I've been cancer-free the the last three years, they got it in time, and I'm screened regularity.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 02:00AM by BYU Boner.

Date: September 18, 2016 05:20PM

My little brother survived testicular cancer and multiple surgeries in his 20's so I'm a bit leery of doing things that could potentially kill me.

RB

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 12:23PM

That's a good one. You should patent it

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 12:28PM

That's a good one, HS in cyber space , you should patent it

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:01AM

Did you also buy a nice red smoking jacket?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:17AM

listen to Ron !

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 06:20AM

Clean lungs are important to breath and good health. There's no need to take up smoking to be an exmo.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 09:15AM

I also have been thinking about trying a pipe. I love the smell. I tried cigars but decided I am too cheap to buy big bucks for a cigar that has really good flavor. The cost of the pipe has been my hang up. I am just cheap about spending money on me. Darn

I am heading to Colorado in a couple of days for a week. I thought I would try some of their legal "herbs". Any suggestions on what kind of or type of weed to try?

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 10:32AM

Stick with the Sativa's.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 09:45AM

I always smoked a really small wooden pipe, about the size of my little finger.

I carried an extra screen with me, too. The main mistake people make is to get sloppy about cleaning the screen. Careful when you do so, however; you don't want to poke a hole in it.

Also always have a nice full lighter handy. Nothing more frustrating than having a nice new chunk of hashish in your pipe and you can't light it.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 10:03AM

Check your tongue for cancer occasionally....

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 10:59AM

The Sherlock Holmes look with the pipe hanging out did look kinda cool. My dad occasionally smoked a pipe, as did his brothers. (They smoked cigars and cigarettes too and as a kid, riding in the car with the windows rolled up with them was pretty unbearable)

So, in declaring my liberation from Mormonism, I too, tried pipe smoking. Lasted about six months. Tried all kinds of tobacco. Huffed and puffed so hard on one pipe I actually kinda burned it up. It was winter and I was wearing gloves and didn't notice how hot it was getting.

The phase passed by and am no longer interested. I realized I was letting my distaste for the Mormon's dictate my participation in something that really was not my thing.

Anyway, I now have a collection of about 7 or 8 pipes that I don't know what to do with. Too lazy to put them on ebay. Probably just dump em but may hold on to one to hang in my mouth when the mos are out or I see them coming to my door. lol I use to would go shirtless in the yard to keep them at bay but the other mos (mosquito's) cured me of that (plus the body is now kinda shriveled and old.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 11:45AM

Just don't become one of those insufferable pipe and tobacco aficionados.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 12:56PM

Mods on vacation?

I've had far less explicit weed references deleted here more than once.

Posted by: tweaki ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 01:02PM

Don't hold the lighter too close or you will crack the bowl.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 06:39PM

Don't use a lighter. Use a match, or even better some other intermediate.

Also, smoke in winter on your porch with a glass of rum.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 03:50PM

Just remember what C.S. Lewis said: "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."

Date: September 16, 2016 04:44PM

Dude! Best quote ever! It's like it made it worth the risk of health issues! ;)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 03:55PM

Find a tobacco store that sells a variety of pipe tobacco. Get yourself a nice, mild vanilla blend.

Tastes good, smells good, and is easy on the mouth and nose. I'm not an inhaler into the lungs.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: September 16, 2016 04:38PM

Extra moisturizer on your face so you don't develop an excess of above-the-lip smokers' wrinkles. Those will really age your appearance.

Posted by: Former Pipe Smoker ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 02:39AM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (cough cough hack gag) ha ha ha ha ha - you stupid fucking loser - ha ha ha ha (cough cough).

Here's a tip. The tip of my boot right up your ignorant ex Mormon ass.

Date: September 18, 2016 03:02AM

I guess I should have specified more. I wanted advice from actual humans. Not trolls. Thanks for playing though.

Also, I became an ex Mormon because I stopped being ignorant. ;)

Posted by: WebMD ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 10:00AM

Mmmm, if you have stopped being ignorant, why are you voluntarily sticking a known carcinogen in your mouth and lighting it on fire?

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/effects-of-smoking-pipes-and-cigars

Date: September 18, 2016 10:19AM

Have a great day, doc. ;)

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 10:28AM

Graham Chapman of Monty Python. Pipe smoker. Died at 47.

Quit, Dumbass. Chapman died about 30 years ago.

All the other Pythons are still kicking.

30 years of your life worth it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 10:33AM by tenaciousd.

Date: September 18, 2016 10:42AM

I appreciate your concern. I really do. However, name calling isn't exactly necessary.

Also, I spent the first 27 years of my life in a cult, telling me how I should live my life. I don't need to come here and be told the same thing...with additional name calling.

Enjoy your Funday Sunday! :)

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 01:06PM

Get off tobacco and substitute pot!

Posted by: Defense Counsel ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 11:14AM

Riiight. Substitute pot. Get arrested. Go to jail. Lie to lawyer (That's not my stuff!) Pay fines. Pay fees and costs. Lose your job. Lose student loans. Get a criminal record. Get rejected for new job, auto insurance, and credit. Blame everyone else.

Glad to see the deep critical thinkers hard at work here on RfM demonstrating how much smarter they are than everyone else.

Even more impressed to see Admin allow the promotion of illegal behaviour in the name of "recovery."

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 11:59AM

I meant, of course, where it is legal in your area.

And I believe several studies have proposed that it is less harmful (physically) than tobacco.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 01:13PM

I occasionally smoke a pipe. I have only one, so it's never more than once a day. My tip would be to buy small tobacco samplers. I always get tired of a complete tin.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 04:48PM

When I was smoking a pipe I favored cherry flavored tobacco.

Posted by: Satan's Little Helper ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 11:28PM

Cheap pipes are just that....cheap. You can sometimes find really beautiful estate pipes at much lower prices. Plus they are broken-in. Find a blend YOU like. Never hesitate to ask a well informed tobacconist questions. And lastly enjoy. I have an ever expanding collection because I enjoy them and find each unique. Changing them frequently also allows me to remember why I got each one of them. Great memories.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 02:59AM

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” -Albert Einstein

I concur. Been smoking pipes and cigars since leaving the morgue fifteen years ago. Ain't dead yet and enjoy life a lot more. My doctor says not to worry; the vast majority of smokers never get cancer.

Date: September 19, 2016 03:33AM

Thanks for that. I've come across a few haters since posting this.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 06:52PM

I told my doc I started smoking a pipe and she gave me the stink eye. I told her how my daughters asked their mom what she thought about me smoking a pipe. She told them that there are worse things I could be doing plus she told them that she's not worried about tobacco health concerns since that I'm seventy-one I will probably die of something else before the smoke gets me. Doc said she's probably right about that.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 12:09PM

I should think that occasional use will not lead to any long term health consequences any more than mowing the lawn without sunscreen. The fact is that the anti-smoking lobby has successfully scared the shit out of society about the "dangers" of smoking. I am a non-smoker, never have, likely never will, but the level of hysteria around it is so fever pitched it seems to be a religion all its own.

I say go for it, don't become a human chimney... You are far more likely to die from other things than smoking caused cancer.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 12:40PM

What do non-smokers prefer dying of? And if they say 'Old Age' I am going to protest and declare they haven't really thought it through.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 06:45PM

I started a year ago. Go slowly while smoking your aromatic tobaccos; they can get hot and bite your tongue. There are a lot of very good tobacco blends and it can be pretty overwhelming to a newbie. Pipesandcigars.com has a very large inventory of pipes, tobaccos and accessories. Check them out online and try various bulk tobaccos until you find what you like. Like I said I have been smoking a pipe for only a year and I am just now settling on about a dozen favorite blends. Good luck and enjoy!

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 06:49PM

Get on Youtube and look up pipe smoking. You'll find lots of tips, lessons, reviews and fun characters.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.