Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 11:04AM

We went and saw "Sully" last night. It's co-starring Aaron Eckhart. It's great to see him making his way from his mission and BYU degree to starring in major stuff. It's gratifying. He told the press once that he left his Mormon life behind, and once I think he was on the cover of Cigar Aficionado. Maybe. I might be imagining things. But here's something he once said in an interview:

"Aaron Eckhart's day began as they all do: an hour in the gym, then same again with a cigar. Jetlag cannot disrupt that, snow can throw no spanners. "I was outside at 6am smoking with my hood on, watching everyone come to work, freezing my ass off. That's how dedicated I am."

Then breakfast, another cigar, four hours of interviews and lunch in his room, Moby on the deck, steak on the plate. "I ordered it medium rare. I got it medium beyond." Did he finish it? "Oh yeah, every little bit. I am a carnivore." Then another cigar. He'd like to be puffing on one right now. At least three more will get sucked before he sleeps.

"They're excellent to study to," he explains, "you can put 'em down, pick 'em up – they keep you company while you're thinking. They're a good thinking man's tool." Eckhart creases; smile gummier than you might expect, blinding whites under wraps. At 45, his face still looks ripped from Mount Rushmore, chin dimple so deep you could keep your handbag in it. But the butter hair is closer-cropped these days, there's slightly more of a raptor aspect all round. These are not features looking for definition; big geek glasses add extra anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 12:15PM

You know, I didn't recognize him when I saw the movie. But he looked good and I thought he did a wonderful job with the role. You can do a lot worse than to be acting in a movie in a major role alongside Tom Hanks.

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 12:25PM

Or Ryan Gosling, Paul Walker, Kathrine Heigl, etc! All great actors! Or then you have actors like my momma who joined the church because of a movie she did. Haha

Posted by: Anon For This ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 12:37PM

But there are those of us who feel Katherine Heigl is one of the better arguments for eternal marriage.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 04:13PM

And don't forget Amy Adams.

The TSCC sure forgets to name these individuals like it does Gladys Knight and the beloved Osmonds.

Date: September 17, 2016 05:57PM

People seem to always leave out Kevin Rahm ("Judging Amy," "Desperate Housewives," "Mad Men," "Madame Secretary"). It's important to know that he went on every young man's dream mission: "Rahm was born in Mineral Wells, Texas. While a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), he served as a missionary in France, Switzerland, and on the islands of Mauritius and Réunion between 1990-92. After returning to the U.S. he studied pre-law at Brigham Young University, before changing his major to drama."

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 04:23PM

I really liked Sully the movie.

Anything Tom Hanks in is pure movie magic.

Good to see an ex-Mormon co-piloting. Not a bad pick at all. Thinking Oscar nomination for best supporting actor, possibly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 04:23PM by Amyjo.

Date: September 17, 2016 06:02PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to see an ex-Mormon co-piloting. Not a bad pick at all. Thinking Oscar nomination for best supporting actor, possibly?

I don't see why not. Hanks was excellent as well. I thought he did a really good job of depicting the PTSD that Captain Sully went through after the water landing.

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 04:45PM

I think it was Ryan gosling who even helped produce an "anti" Mormon documentary.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 01:15AM

Aaron Eckhart impresses me as an actor with his range. If you
compare his performances in "In the Company of Men" and "Meet
Bill," they are of characters who are light-years apart. Yet he
convincingly adapts to make them believable.

Eckhart's a RM, by the way.

Date: September 19, 2016 06:45AM

I'm moving this down here, so more people know about Kevin Rahm:

People seem to always leave out Kevin Rahm ("Judging Amy," "Desperate Housewives," "Mad Men," "Madame Secretary"). It's important to know that he went on every young man's dream mission: "Rahm was born in Mineral Wells, Texas. While a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), he served as a missionary in France, Switzerland, and on the islands of Mauritius and Réunion between 1990-92. After returning to the U.S. he studied pre-law at Brigham Young University, before changing his major to drama."

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 10:44AM

Saw Sully yesterday (Sunday by the way). Special effects quite impressive. The way the EMT/Coast Guard/traffic control folks were drawn in and affected by the event was quite elightening. Like a mini- 9/11.

Gatorman
3-0

Posted by: Fiance Clerk ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 10:47AM

Even though she's a dancer, she acted in the remake of Footloose as the hottie. Even though I have not heard her denounce her LDS upbringing, her acting roles, her love life, and her dress in public sure makes it look like she's abandoned it.

Date: September 19, 2016 11:15AM

>>I have not heard her denounce her LDS upbringing...

I don't think you would. IMO she belongs to the "it's a good way to raise a family" school of thought. Whether that will happen for her kids, who knows. Her brother seems to have chucked it entirely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 06:33PM by summer.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 01:03PM

I remember an interview with her where she stated that she is a practicing mormon.

Date: September 19, 2016 06:41PM

AFAIK she still considers herself Mormon but she hasn't lived the lifestyle for a very long time. Perhaps that will change, or is changing. She is not hostile to the church.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 06:31PM

She likes to show her skin for a Mormon girl.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 04:45AM

Yesterday morning we went to a yard sale, and I bought some kombucha jugs, a lime squeezer, and two excellent life jackets.

Later, we went to see Sully. All I could think about was those life jackets.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 11:42AM

Things have definitely gone up for Aaron Eckhart since "Godly Sorrow"--a dreadful Seminary video--for those of you mercifully spared from ever watching it.

Eckhart plays a worthy priesthood holder, who's intended bride Kim confesses to her bishop that she had been involved sexually with another guy. Consequently, she cannot marry worthy priesthood man in the Provo space temple. Very sad. But, she repents they wait, and Eckhart utters his only line in this sad production: "What about the pain?"

So, for me he's Aaron "What about the pain?" Eckhart. Hey it kinda works for the action movies.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: September 20, 2016 03:43PM

For your viewing pleasure, "Godly Sorrow": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHUSzuoKHok

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.