Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 04:08PM

Wine, I can understand.
But beer?--It smells bad, and tastes nasty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 04:16PM

"Beer is good!"

-Thus Sayeth the Lloyd

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 04:25PM

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 04:36PM

It's an acquired taste.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 04:56PM

I did not like the taste of beer; it was yucky unto me!

Then at about age 32, I was with a bunch of very happy-go-lucky people on a fishing/camping trip up to Lake Cachuma. You can't swim in Lake Cachuma...

It was beastly hot and I was parched, out in the boat; parched and HOT! The only liquid on the boat was ice cold beer. ICE COLD. The ice had mostly melted and it had been man & beast handled so if I wanted to drink it, fate would be tempted.

Instead I popped the tab on a Budweiser. An ice cold Bud. Now I drink, and very much enjoy, beer.

Same thing happened with peanut butter! Hated it, was starving to death on a scout outing and was offered a peanut butter, ate it, now I like it.

Oh, yeah! Same thing happened with sex!

Posted by: jmud ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 05:55PM

:)

I had beer, didn't like it, left it alone.

Very hot day, a push mower and me, then, wonder of wonders, an icy-cold Coors.

Beer is good spirit on hot day.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 04:53PM

Wine is nasty to me. I can't even swallow it without gagging. It smells like vinegar too. It all taste alike to me. ( I mean all Cabernets taste alike , all Merlots taste alike , etc)
Unless it's cheap beer, I think beer had more of a complex brewing process. Of course, I'm a beer snob . LOL

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 06:08PM

Beer snob. That's a new one!

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 04:56PM

Beer can be a lot like taking Oaks counsel on testimonies. Even if you don't have a testimony, bear it anyways. Then, eventually, one day you'll wake up and you'll believe your own testimony. So you may hate beer now, but just drink it til you've convinced yourself you like it! Nay, til you love it!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 05:07PM

But can be particular about both and both are an acquired taste.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 05:44PM

I do not drink alcohol anymore (medical reasons) but when I did, I felt surprised at how different brands/kinds of beer tasted different. Some tasted bitter, some watery, some very nice... you get the picture. Try several kinds before you give up on beer entirely.

If you still don't like it, that's okay! Lots of other things to try. And if you don't like any of it, well, there are lots of non-alcoholic things... Neither my husband, The Best Man Everâ„¢ or I can drink any more, so we're exploring lots of interesting teas and coffees!

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 05:59PM

Agreed...beer sucks.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 05:59PM

Beer requires that you educate your palette.....I started at age 16. Still goin to school....

RB

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 06:04PM

Beer makes you smart!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 06:43PM

yah but it requires the most minimal processing before it is eliminated from the body

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 06:50PM

God's gift to men is golf and beer...

After boobies

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 06:56PM

In order to understand beer, you have to have put in a full day of work on a very warm to hot day. Come home, pour a cold one, and you are in heaven. Maybe even two beers will do the trick. It is the ultimate refreshing drink when you are hot, tired, and cranky. But as my mom used to say, after that, "it's just beer."

It also works well with Mexican food and selected other foods such as pizza.

Another time when beer is optimal is the occasional weekend lunch. Make yourself a hamburger with all the trimmings and pour a cold beer to go along with it. Bliss!

And beer is pretty much mandatory with boating. On a warm day, sailors will pop their first beer around 10 or 11 A.M. Of course you have to alternate with H2O if you want to make it through the day in one piece.

There are so many different kinds of beers. I love some, like some, tolerate some, and can't stand some. I would recommend trying a number of beers before you give up. You may not have found the right brand and style for you.

Posted by: laban's head (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 07:40PM

And then there is the warning that if you are going to take a mormon fishing with you, be sure to take at least 2. If you take only one, he'll drink all your beer.

Date: September 24, 2016 07:00PM

Many times, people who find the taste of beer to be 'yucky' have no idea that there is a carbonated beverage that is not sweet and sugary. It is an unknown and unexpected shock to them when they taste beer for the first time.

Posted by: I'mjustsayin ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 07:18PM

Used to hate the stuff. Now I really enjoy it. It took a while. Enjoyment is a funny thing.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 07:27PM

Yea, yea yea, but it also makes one's stomach stick out, called "beer belly". Look at the amount of men with long slim arms and legs, and their pants barely hanging on to their hips, under their belly. (Or are those only the guys that hang out in pool halls?)

My dear, dainty, tiny cultured grandmother (barely 5'1"), was advised by her doctor to take a "shot" of wine before bedtime to help her fall sleep at night. My father never let her forget it (teasing her), but nothing could shake her dignity (my idol). She had class.

Date: September 24, 2016 07:33PM

Beer belly is the result of a combination of excessive consumption as well as indiscriminate consumption of salted snacks along with beer (read: chips, pretzels, etc.)

Blaming beer bellies on beer alone is way off base. There are many beer drinkers that do not exhibit the profile you mention...

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 07:46PM

Blasphemy

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 08:40PM

I had two beers just today. Beer was not an acquired taste with me. There is a need out there for everyone.

Date: September 24, 2016 09:01PM

First time I drank it at age 16 I thought it was awful. Second time, a week later it was less awful...

RB

Date: September 24, 2016 09:12PM

Yep. When I first started drinking, "Coors Extra Gold" seemed like a dark beer because it as one shade darker than a regular Coors. Now I can barely get drunk on Bud, Coors, etc..

Lots of IPA, lots of Bourbon.

Date: September 24, 2016 11:46PM

Alberta like many place is sprouting craft breweries at a rapid rate. So much wonderful beer to sample...so little time.

RB

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 09:07PM

I'm drinking beer, at a sports bar, watching Canada take on the Russians in world cup hockey for the fate of democracy....

Sidney Crosby will be the savior of freedom.....

Date: September 24, 2016 09:43PM

Empty net

Date: September 24, 2016 10:04PM

Yes, he did it. He even touched the Prince of Wales Cup and they won the Stanley Cup.
Of course , being a Blackhawks fan, I like Jonathan Towes .
Now, I hope that Sweden gets in it, but I hope Canada shuts them out though

Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 09:08PM

"Mild drinks made from barley are good for the belly..." D&C 89

Date: September 24, 2016 09:13PM

True story!

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 09:14PM

The brewing of beer is a mixture of art and science. The grains, hops, water, yeast, fermentation time/temp changes the not only the flavor and color, but also the character, mouth feel, and viscosity.

Most first meet American Lager. A thin, semisweet or even bitter clear light yellow brew. Made from light malt, rice sugars, and barley hopped. Some enjoy this due to its limited flavor, but many may find it snunky because of the mass brewing process can lead to poor handling of the product. This leads many to end their trial of beer exploration.

To see the gambit of what is beer venture out of the Big 3. The sweet caramel flavor of the Irish Red would be my suggestion to see what else is out there. Maybe a nice coffee stout to see what dark beers can offer. There are several delicious wheat beers infused with fruit that are worth a shot as well.

Now be warned, don't jump into IPAs or barley wines. These are strong and can be overwhelmingly bitter to the new beer drinker. Don't judge the lot with a cheap can-o-beer. Most are the pride and joy of true artists that blend microbiology with culinary skill.

When you

Date: September 24, 2016 09:58PM

You know a lot about beer. I don't like lagers. I like pumpkin beer, which I have to wait a whole year for . I also like the wheat beers that naturally have the banana/ clove taste.
I do like IPAs. You're right about the strong flavours. My husband hates it, especially the heavily hopped ones, which I like.
He lives barley beers, which I hate.
The British ales are good, I also like their banana bread beer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 10:01PM

I prefer wine, but beer is fine a couple of times a year if the weather is hot.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 10:16PM

What's with people?

Food's with Beer.
I'm with Food.

There's something for everyone.
What's for you? There is a brew.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 10:20PM

I had to give it up for gout. The yeast plays hell with my joints. I do miss it.

Favorites:

Spaten Premium, Germany
Licher, Germany
Stella Artois, Belgium
Sam Adams Light, USA
Nevada Pale Ale, USA

any small batch Blond Lager

Date: September 24, 2016 10:23PM

Get a new doctor; have him up the dosage on the allopurinol ...

Date: September 24, 2016 10:31PM

I am taking allopurinol. Hmmm...

No matter what, one of these days I'm going to the Dragas Brewery with my son and having a beer. The brewery is just a mile from our house.

Date: September 24, 2016 10:40PM

Of course you're taking allopurinol!

We're ALL taking allopurinol!

I avoid all red meat that's not inside a bun just to be sure the beer is covered.

Date: September 24, 2016 10:54PM

I don't eat any red meat and have given up most breads as well.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 10:29PM

Beer is liquid bread. Should be used for Sacrament.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 10:52PM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beer is liquid bread. Should be used for
> Sacrament.

Wine not?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 24, 2016 10:52PM

Beer is definitely an acquired taste, however there are some beers that aren't bitter such as Red's apple ale, Red's green apple ale, Red's strawberry, blueberry, and ginger ale. I also like the Angry Orchard beers, but they are a bit different from Red's.

In my opinion, beer has to be ice cold to be enjoyed to it's fullest. And, on a hot Summer afternoon, it is the absolute best. I'm pretty sure that Lloyd would approve but he might be mean about it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 12:42AM

My hand

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 02:06AM

Oh dear, I think Lloyd is here to stay.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 26, 2016 07:23PM

"It's very clear
Our Lloyd is here to stay
Not for a year, but forever and a day

In time the Rockies may crumble
Gibraltar may tumble
They're only made of clay
But our Lloyd is here to stay"

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 04:46AM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wine, I can understand.
> But beer?--It smells bad, and tastes nasty.

No. You are wrong.

Beer has a nice smell and can taste good.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 06:36AM

You should try different beers until you find one you like. About the smell and the taste, if you share a bed with someone you may have to deal with beer farts.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 08:29AM

The only thing wrong with beer is it can't be owned, only temporarily rented. Then you have to give it back behind the azalea bush.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 11:20AM

So that's why all of my azaleas are dead.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 11:07AM

Try first with soft beers. Pale, light. Michelob Ultra is a good start. What you eat with your beer is very iportant too. You can't beat a good burger or pizza with beer. Good luck.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 11:55AM

Try belgian wheat, pilsners, or a good fruit hefenweizen.

Very drinkable and enjoyable.

Some would say delicious to the taste and very desirable.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 25, 2016 03:38PM

What's without it?

Learn to drink beer - and always remember why you are doing it - because it can't drink you!

M@t

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 26, 2016 06:47PM

I had a Coronado Brewing Co. Orange Avenue Wit on tap last night at Slater's 50/50 (bacony burgers, yum!) that was divine. Smooth front, not too hoppy, and a very pleasant citrus finish.

I'll bet even the OP would have liked it.

http://coronadobrewing.com/beer/orange-ave-wit/

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 26, 2016 07:26PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 26, 2016 07:59PM

When I was small I hated asparagus, brussel sprouts, olives, mushrooms, grapefruit, dark chocolate, egg plant, avocado, aromatic cheeses, and so forth. Not to mention all kinds of prepared foods. Part of maturing was learning that calamari, mussels, raw tuna, and other sea foods were yummy.

When I threw off the shackles of Mormonism I stayed with sweet mixed drinks that made me want to see the dentist. Sometimes I still like them like the Henry's Hard Soda in my fridge right now. But I became an adult and learned that candy doesn't sustain the same way that a nice savory drink does. Even the most foul drink has some redeeming qualities. I've had some exquisite Tequila and Mezcal, sipping it with lime juice and tomato juice into the evening. I've also gotten sick with some of the garbage with the same name.

I guess the point is put on your big person pants and experiment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.