Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 27, 2016 08:21AM

Check out this weird church film from 1971. It's about weight control. It's a bit bizarre-- the music alone is nightmare inducing!

Apparently, dating solves everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HesVESE5Gdg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2016 08:22AM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 28, 2016 01:38AM

Topping...

I think I may have to write about this little film today.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 02:00AM

I couldn't take more than a minute or so of the film; it was so sexist and invalidating. Yuck.

Date: September 28, 2016 02:12AM

I'm forcing myself to watch it again and it is absolutely appalling!

There's a montage where they show little girls laughing openly at a fat woman. A woman dives into a pool and when she hits the water, there's the sound of a boom. They even come out and say that overweight people are dishonest, irresponsible,and inconsistent. It's just horrible!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 03:20AM

The "therapist" looked like he could stand to lose a few pounds. Extracting a commitment to lose weight was the approach. Typical LDS solution. Crazy things happen when you repress food cravings and "make" people do things they don't really want to do. Speaking of doing, I'd have done some of those fat chicks. They were kind of cute.

Date: September 28, 2016 03:47AM

On a related note, here's an old BYU film called "Run Dick, Run Jane".... LOL... "Dick"? How inspired is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip07Yndgzzg

Tell me, does the guy narrating have a Utah accent?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 07:57AM

I saw this one when I was little, the only piece of information that I question is where it says that really well conditioned athletes can have a heart rate down in the 30 beats per minute. Today's Science says humans are suppose to have heart rate of around 60 beats per minute, those with lower beats may have something wrong like a deficiency or something and need medication?

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 05:28PM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a related note, here's an old BYU film called
> "Run Dick, Run Jane".... LOL... "Dick"? How
> inspired is that?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip07Yndgzzg
>
> Tell me, does the guy narrating have a Utah
> accent?

My mom has a few editions of both "Dick, Jane, and Sally" and "Tom, Betty, and Susan" reading primers from the early '60's.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:41AM

My grandmother had already taught me to read before I went to school, and I was reading comic books on my own, at home, so those awful Dick and Jane books were incredibly dreary.

I remember having a very sincere talk with my first-grade teacher, Mrs. Carlson, (who was a sweet lady) and explained that I had read every one of the readers all the way to the end, and they never got any better. I explained, to the best of my ability, that there wasn't any motivation to turn the page. There was no action, no plot, nothing to make the reader care what happened next.

I offered to bring in some of my comic books, if everyone promised to be careful with them, because the stories were much more interesting, and it was likely that even the Redbirds (the designated dummies) would be intrigued enough to pay attention and see what happened next.

Mrs. Carlson thanked me very nicely for my sincere offer, but said that the school was required to stick with the textbooks, even if they WERE boring.

Later on, I overheard her telling my mother at a parent-teacher conference that she was astonished that a 6-year-old was proposing that the slower learners might be more motivated if only the texts were more interesting.

Ah, paving the way for a future book-a-holic!!

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 04:14AM

Saying this was hard to watch is an understatement. I finished off a bag of Doritos while watching it though. :)

Date: September 28, 2016 04:43AM

Direct quote from the film.

*This is part of our commitment action approach to weight control. The girls meet weekly in therapy sessions where behavioral change is emphasized. Overweight people tend to be dishonest, inconsistent, and irresponsible. How often have we said or heard people say, "I don't know why I can't lose weight. I hardly eat a thing." or "I was nervous and upset. I just couldn't help myself." All kinds of alibis and excuses. Our sessions together tend to debunk these excuses and instead focus on behavioral consistency, control, and commitment with an emphasis on action.*

Posted by: Disgusted. ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 06:47AM

Absolutely and utterly horrendous. Fat: Not ok. Judging: VERY Okay. I hate all they do to shame. I hate it so much.

Date: September 28, 2016 08:04AM

That part where they have a BOOM sound as the woman dives into the pool is just awful!

The overall message is that if you're overweight, you're worthless.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 02:57PM

I don't feel that way about overweight people. How else does an overweight person in a swimming pool expect to become slimmer unless they dive in?

My mom had an eating disorder during those years this video was made. It couldn't have helped her with that.

She was pleasingly plump during my adolescence up until her divorce from dad. Then she went anorexic on us. Became as thin as a rail in her later years. The change was drastic.

Preferred her plump over rail thin.

Then she developed osteoporosis from poor diet and overall healthcare - basically starving herself to death. What I'd give to restore her health to what it was before that happened.

She was an actress who grew up in Utah. She actually had an eating disorder while she was having us children, according to one of my dad's sisters. Raised her family mostly in Idaho. Then spent her last years in Utah again. Utah seems to do a number on people's self-image.

My grandma was able to stay healthy; but she grew up in the San Francisco area. Perhaps environment is key where we grow up during our formative years?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 02:59PM by Amyjo.

Date: September 28, 2016 08:09AM

That is creepy.

The girl whose sister was 95 lbs was describing someone who was probably anorexic, unless she was a dwarf.

The mother with a box of donuts with the little boy who asked her, where did all the donuts go? casually saying her husband left her because she liked fat so much, ate her little boy's donuts without a second thought. "Oh, we'll get some more," (er, mom, are you kidding me?)

I'm glad to have missed that movie when it first came out. Happy for me, it wasn't required viewing where I lived - at least not to my age group. :))

Date: September 28, 2016 05:35PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> That is creepy.
>
> The girl whose sister was 95 lbs was describing
> someone who was probably anorexic, unless she was
> a dwarf.

Let's be fair. My wife, who I admit has health issues, has little bird bones. She's 5'2" and vacillates between 93 and 97. She's a bit thinner than she should be - she readily admits it - and would love to weigh more, but she's not anorexic and she's actually pretty hot. She was a college tennis player and still has the legs to prove it.

I agree that the girl spoke of her 95lb. sister as though everyone should weigh 95 lbs. Very few adults should weigh so little.

Posted by: neveragain2 ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:03PM

"Dawn ate Ice cream all winter....but she could eaten ICE !"

how prophetic you F**kface Mormon thera-pissed

Date: September 28, 2016 05:36PM

neveragain2 Wrote:
> "Dawn ate Ice cream all winter....but she could
> eaten ICE !"
>
>
>
> how prophetic you F**kface Mormon thera-pissed

Thomas S. Monson drank Pepsi all winter, summer, spring, and fall. He could have drunk water.

Date: September 28, 2016 08:21PM

If he was prophetic at all, he would've known what damage that was doing to his body.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:57PM

I live out in the country where broadband is prohibitedly expensive, so I can't view the movie.

But -- did it mention that MALES get obese too?

Or was all the focus on overweight ladies?

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 02:40PM

It was on women. Maybe back in that era the men tended to have less problem with being overweight, though the men in the film certainly did not look particularly fit. Probably misogyny.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 03:04PM

Looks like they wanted to guilt all the women into being thin. Obviously you couldn't be fat, female, and righteous.

And did you notice the whispy little girl voices some of them used? I felt like I was in a RS meeting. UGH

I was anorexic thin when that film was made. It wasn't because I was trying to be, it was because there was never quite enough food in the house I grew up in. I used to spend my babysitting money on food. I always felt hungry. The church always got their money though. My mother was always about 50 lbs. overweight. I couldn't figure out why the rest of us were so incredibly thin, but she had a weight problem. Obviously, she's a closet eater. It wasn't until I left home that I broke the 95 lb. mark.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 05:24PM

Would that it were only that easy....

RB

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 05:38PM

I've been a personal trainer for over 10 years and in the fitness industry for 16 years. I currently still promote a healthy lifestyle and help others get in better shape. Whatever that means for them.

This video hit a huge chord with me. The body shaming going on is degrading, sexist, belittling, horrific and wholly unacceptable. They way they portray these women as sub-human and dishonest is reason enough to hate the church!

I have been able to help woman and men of all ages, sizes and health conditions. I have been able to get very personal with them. And I don't mean "them" as in "different". "Them" is you and I, as well. I've dealt with women who were 95lbs and 10% body fat and needed to get on a nutrition plan and work out regime to gain weight. And I've worked with women who were 200lbs and 40% body fat and needed to gain weight. I've even worked with women that were 100lbs, but with 40% body fat (that's still technically obese and susceptible to just as many health issues). Women (and men) would come to me crying. Their challenges were more than just a doctor telling them they were at risk for various health issues; but they'd come to me crying that their husbands wouldn't tell them they were beautiful anymore. That they weren't attractive to their spouse anymore. That they couldn't have sex with their spouse anymore. They didn't have the energy to play with their kids, etc. Very real and valid (and disheartening) reasons.

And then the church makes or endorses videos like this? Fucking shameful.

Date: September 28, 2016 10:29PM

I was born in 1972. Even though that was forty-four years ago, it doesn't seem like this kind of shaming should have been appropriate then. It really is over the top.

Posted by: FandT ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:22PM

Just viewed "The Fat Fighters" and about 8 other videos on that wonderful Hard-to-Find Mormon Videos YT channel (kudos to the person who runs the channel). I can't find the proper words right to describe how I feel at viewing all these. An overwhelming feeling of dark sadness envelops me, even after the "lighter" videos like "Visual Poise for Sisters". Mind control in such a nice, delightsome package....

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:16PM

I'm glad to find out from watching this video that that being
overweight is only a female problem.

Why, yes, now that you ask, I think I will have cheese on that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.