Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Milton Hunter ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 04:27AM

If proves staffers in the church administartion are not so happy with their faith and must have been having doubts about the church leaders authenticity in their claim to be apostles and prophets etc.

It showed somehwere that Gordon Smith wanted the destructive and deadly 2003 Iraq War to increase chances of Mormon mishie sbeing sent there.It has cuased more destruction with Isis and less freedom of religion in the end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 05:23AM

It also shows that the bretheren are deeply concerned about the international church. They know it's not working. But the obvious answers are not really discussed (at least in the conference meeting) There is a major delay for getting married, which is effecting generational foundations for mormon families. The networks are not getting established.

I think part of the reason is that in the past a college education was secluded for the upper middle class who were born into the position of being white collar, or not needing to work at all. Then with the new deal and the government starting to take control of society naturally the government started subsidizing everyone to get an education. The natural result over the decades was that requirements needed to get more rigorous and difficult. So kids have to focus more and take education more seriously. Millenials aren't having as much fun, or as easy of a time as the baby boomers or the greatest generation had. This has postponed marriage and made smaller families.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 05:39AM

Yes, in the YSA video it was clear that church officials are frustrated with the trend toward later marriage and also with non-temple marriages.

The speaker talked about how it is difficult to get Korean YSAs to take on church leadership positions because they are so focused on school and on national exams. The attitude from the speaker was, "Well, we did it, and they have to as well." It shows a profound misunderstanding of the importance of schooling, exams, and work in Asian culture.

Posted by: Gertrude ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 12:59PM

"The lady protests too much, methinks."

This is the second time you've posted, trying to put a pro-church spin on the leaked Smith videos. You seem very anxious to downplay them. I wonder why that is? </s>

Using the DN as a rebuttal source is hilarious, BTW. The DN is credible only to those already in the tank for the church. Only a clueless TBM would think otherwise.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 09:59AM

How can the top 1% complain that the bottom 99% need to spend less time working/studying (to make a living) and more time in church service?

The GA's are digging their own graves one dollar at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 10:00AM by fudley.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 12:45PM

...and also complain that they don't pay more tithing, etc.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 12:22PM

I have been listening to some of their video about the "dreaded single adults" a wonderful phrase some of you will remember from a wonderful poster named Deenie. That is interesting, because it was the timeframe that my testimony waxed, waned, and was buried. I went on a mission at 19 full of gusto, attended BYU, at the end of my BYU time I started to have serious doubts (23-24), was fully inactive by 26, and resigned at 27.

They have some weird and probably flawed assumptions about their young people:

1) The young adults are lazy. The attitude seems to be: "Back in my day we ran the church, did our exams, and raised the kids etc. Why don't they do that now?" Well you could point to any number of things. The role of women in society is different--they have exams and jobs too, and can't just do home and church. The traffic is worse in many places that ticks away time. There's less support for university students (looking at the U.S. context). Public funding for universities has gone down--more time working to pay back loans and/or cover current expenses with work (that often pays less for low-skill jobs adding to the stress and time involved). I also think the missionary program is an impediment to launching a life and career.

I agree with fudley that the economic class disconnect between the leaders and the led is quite evident. The leaders in the videos don't see these challenges as much first hand in their own families, because some of these challenges are diminished for wealthy people.

Everything is a moral judgement and condemnation for these guys! They just want you to be like the horse in Animal Farm--always pushing harder. You don't get any empathy from these pigs either.

2) The young adults leave because they are not involved with the LDS church. Or maybe they are not involved with the church because it is not relevant to their life and most of all not true. The rising generation are finding that out online as teenagers now.

3) If only they would marry. Married or single the LDS Church still is not what it claims to be. Marriage only might make the exit cost higher if one's spouse does not want to understand why a someone wants to leave.

4) Packer is right! OMG, I said it. Okay, just maybe not in the way he was thinking about it. They are ignoring the family's role. As one of the recent Mormon Stories podcast series (650-52) shows, sometimes mom and dad are leaving too.

5) Young adults are under their parents jurisdiction until they marry. This gem was also from BKP. That's why they treat singles like children. A 35 year old single person, regardless of their accomplishment is less an adult in their minds than an 18 year old who just got married in the temple.

The solution, in their minds, seems to be that if only we have the young adults more involved and keep them in the structured program like when they were teenagers. Maybe if we could get their parents more involved. Maybe if we could just get them to marry sooner. More interviews. More responsibility. Ugh...control, control, control!

Reflecting on my personal experience (and maybe I'm abnormal), I think that if anything I was involved to the point of quitting. That high level of engagement in the LDS Church contributed to my questioning, and my decision to leave. I think after 2 years of a mission, and 3 years at BYU wards in many high commitment callings, I was burnt out. Additional involvement in the church's mission was the last thing that would have kept me active.

When the questions I'd been nursing on the shelf since my teenage years, the useless guilt over not being married, and the new questions arising from my college studies collided. I really felt like if I wanted to continue to devote this kind of effort to this organization, I would have to resolve my doubts--one way or the other.

Good luck with those plans "Brethren"

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 12:35PM

"Gordon Smith wanted the destructive and deadly 2003 Iraq War"

Hey, don't second-guess God. Dubya heard a voice in his head just like Nephi.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 12:43PM

What it also shows, and something that non- mormons (and most of the country) don't understand, is that their mormon elected politicians are loyal to the church over the country.They put the church first-over their country, their constituents, over their families. That is scary! We really dodged a bullet with Romney not being elected. I can see a mormon President giving National secrets & info to the leaders of the church. The pubic should be made to understand this.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 12:46PM

Slightly OT, but Gordon Smith's adopted son killed himself after he came back from his mission, saying that his life was pointless. It turned out that even in high school had was depressed and was drinking in the home.

Smith did work with President Bush on an anti-suicide program.

But, the *image* of the perfect mormon family? Shot down a again.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/senator-shares-story-of-sons-suicide/

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 02:34PM

The videos reinforce the claim that they are indeed "bubble geriatrics" when it comes to living in the world. I give somebody credit to realize that these old farts need a "current events" refresher update or these geezers would be even worse.

What these leaked videos show in clarity to the world is that TSCC is not very spiritual on any level. Might as well be a board meeting from the VHS Corp. Suffice to say that I've experienced greater spirituality from a ward correlation meeting with a very tired, but good bishop trying to help with the needs of the people in the ward. And that is saying a lot about a meeting that I used to loathe.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 02:44PM

To me the leaked videos also demonstrate how one-sided the cult is in its quest for "knowledge". Notice they do not seek information from both sides of the equation. '

Plus, of course, the obvious observation is where was revelation in all of this? Methinks they do not practice what they preach.

All in all, I hope to hell this starts the ball rolling for them to be recognized for what they really are and loose their tax exempt status............

.......They are a bunch of businessmen out to make as much damn money anyway they can and they do not care who or what they do to accomplish it. Just like Mittkins, they "know" they deserve it and those below them are there to serve as their slaves because they have shown that is what they surely deserve. They are not the chosen ones and are lazy and well, have earned their position to do the grunge work.

Do I distrust and detest the cult just a little? Hell yes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 02:52PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 02:49PM

The leaked videos reinforce my view that until a person is actually ready to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, the church is not true, that TBM's will take information like this and use it to dig there heels in further and double down on the church being true.

The overwhelming response I am seeing on social media is "the videos being leaked adn being able to see what goes on in those meeting just strengthens my testimony in my inspired leaders" and all that kind of stuff.

Seriously, one of the apostles could be videoed stating that the church was a lie and it would strengthen a lot of members testimony.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.