Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: savagestarlight ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 07:54PM

And if you didn't, did you research any religions or just go straight to atheism/agnosticism?

I'm just curious. I personally went to regular ol' Christianity. Only thing that bothers me is the church denomination I go to is called Church of Christ. Too similar to TSCC to the point that it can trigger me sometimes. They're wonderful people though. No hidden beliefs, no tithing required, no selling your soul and all your children. Just simply kind people worshiping God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 07:57PM by savagestarlight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 08:31PM

No. No church will ever have me as a member again.

RB

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 08:37PM

I went to "let me figure things out."

I spent years figuring things out.

What did I figure out? That there's no reason to pretend there's a "god" of any kind, 'cause there's no evidence of or need of any such thing.

Oh, and I found lots of kind people. Some say they worship "god," some don't. Being kind has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you do or don't believe in or worship a "god." :)

Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 08:38PM

The critical thinking, the mental gymnastics, the applying of logic and science, the honest investigation, letting go of the fear you might be wrong, all led me out of the church and it prepared me to face the rest of the world. Once you're able to learn how to dissect a religion, it makes it easier to do it with all religion.

They are all false. The church taught me that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 08:38PM by Elders Quorum Drop-out.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 12:18PM

During conversations with my wife and various missionaries, they would counter my criticisms about Mormonism with, "Well, you could say the same think about the Catholic church you grew up in."

I would laugh and say, "You are absolutely right, and that's why I'm no longer Catholic."

Posted by: reprobate21 ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 10:59AM

Wow. Well explained. I often wondered why I couldnt grasp God concept after leaving moronism.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 08:46PM

Leaving Mormonism wiped my slate clean. I haven't found a good reason yet to write God on it. Lot's of people say he's there. People say he loves us. Ain't seen none of that yet. People say he cares. Huh? People say, "Everybody knows there's a god." You seen him? I haven't. Lots of people say lots of things though. I don't write those things on that black board either. The board is reserved for verifiable information this time around. Useful information. I write love on the board sometimes. I know for sure its possible at least. No need to attach God to it. It works just fine without it.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 09:00PM

I was a Christian before I was briefly coerced into joining the LDS Church and I'm a Christian still. Non-denominational and rarely attend any services.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 09:10PM

Well, after I left the mormon church I began studying other

churches that I might go to. When I finished studying, low

and behold, I no longer believed in any religion, any god

or any jesus or any holy ghosts, or any ghosts for that matter.

And we all lived happily ever after.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 03, 2016 09:25PM

I didn't abandon religion because I left Mormonism, I left Mormonism because I abandoned religion.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 05:00AM

Billions of people have lived before me and haven't agreed on the one necessary religion for humanity....I am not likely to discover it either.

Gatorman
4-1

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 10:21AM

Over a couple of years, NormaRae talked me into trying the Unitarian Universalists. I finally started going a bit over a year ago, and have really liked it. I go regularly, but not each Sunday. There is not only good music, but sermons in which you learn useful material. There are projects that serve the local community, and lots of emphasis on environmental protection, preserving the condition of the local watersheds, etc. It's the far side of the moon from Mormonism.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 03:44PM

To tell you the truth, as much as I nudged you, I was also a little trepidatious about you seeking out the UUs. I knew if you found a congregation similar to ours, you would love it, find like-minded people, and really enjoy the social justice work. I had visited the web page of your local congregation on a number of occasions and really thought it looked a lot like it was along the veins of ours. Course, ours is the best in all of UU-dom so it's a high bar to reach.

But I'll be the first to admit that unlike the mormons, not all UU churches are created equal. Ours is actually the smaller congregation in our town. There is a much bigger UU church that I do not feel real comfortable in. It's as high church as UU can get. Most women wear (gasp) dresses. It has a very Protestanty feel to it. But their minister of almost 30 years just retired and they are in search. Apparently their interim is trying to bring them into the 21st century UU world, but it doesn't sit well with the oldsters who pull the purse strings. Very interesting.

And since the only "true" church is what works for you, I'd still suggest it to people as something worth looking into. Especially when what you really are looking for is community.

Date: October 04, 2016 06:20PM

I'm one of the outliers in the local congregation, in that I dress up a bit. Not much, but a bit. I usually wear nice jeans, leather shoes, and often a tie on a patterned shirt. Just seems right, and "me." A lot of people wear cargo shorts and tank tops.

I'm being asked to join the music committee. Should I?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 12:51PM

Sure, why not. Unless you don't wanna, then just say, thanks for asking. I love that the only one who "calls" you to positions is you.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 10:32AM

It's not a church, but I've incorporated a little Buddhism into my life. Sitting, reading, walking. Slowly but surely I like the result of adding this new flavor: turns out I prefer the taste of things-are-okay-as-is.

Crush some oregano and basil between my hands, add it to the tomato sauce, not too much, let it simmer. Careful--keep the heat low, don't wanna scorch the sauce.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 10:37AM

I've been to more than several, more like quite a few since leaving TSCC.

My children and I attended Evangelical, UU, Presbyterian, Episcopalean, Moravian (that one we stayed at for several years!) Then the RLDS before it became Community of Christ. Last, not least, I ended up attending a Messianic Synagogue for several years before leaving there for a regular Jewish congregation.

I'm still a closet Christian, but love Judaism much more than any of the Christian churches have been to. They were all real in their own way. Some were dead churches. Some felt like they had a living spirit inside. The ones that gave more than they take (in terms of edifying and nurturing,) are where we stayed the longest.

Date: October 04, 2016 11:04AM

I love and am fascinated by Islam, and I love and associate with the members of the local Islamic community. If I were a believer in God, I might actually embrace the religion. Since Islam, like Mormonism, demands a belief in God, I'm pretty disqualified. And I'd be so unlikely to fast at Ramadan or to do the Hajj, and don't agree with males having to be circumcised. Meh, now that I think about it, I'd be a lousy Muslim. And yet the prayers really relax me and bring me down from the wall.

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 10:57AM

I don't believe in organized religion. And with my social anxiety, I don't want a new congregation to belong to. BUT I have two young kids whose dad is extremely black and white thinking tbm. So I take them every other week to the Unitarian Universalist church. It gets them away from Mormon church and exposes them to very different people and ideas.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 11:15AM

Tried Christianity for awhile as I continued to study other things.

Too many personal 'spiritual' experiences to accept any religion I know of.

Totally believe in God (definitely not biblical one), after life and reincarnation but not religion.

So, no, I didn't find another religion.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 11:20AM

life is a bitch once that critical thinking gene kicks in.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 11:37AM

"My religion is Kindness"

HH the 14th Dalai Lama.

I have many quality friends & acquaintances at Seattle Mennonite, and I occasionally accompany my S.O. to Mass.

"It's Complicated!"

Date: October 04, 2016 11:42AM

I took a survey on "what religion best suits you" someone had conducted here on RfM once.

Surprised me to learn my results was Conservative Quaker. I hadn't heard of such a religion before.

But then having been a Mormon for a good part of my early life I seemed to have adapted many of my values to conservative ones.

Where I now worship that seems like a good fit for me is Conservative Judaism. So maybe Conservative Quaker wasn't off the mark at all!

:))

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 11:56AM

My mind is my church.

Edit: Originally said by Thomas Paine, but still rings true to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2016 11:58AM by scaredhusband.

Date: October 04, 2016 11:57AM

Science of the Mind?

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 12:09PM

I guess I should clarify. I don't feel like any revealed religion is necessary for worship. Not that I worship my own intellect. I can honor god by using my intellect and reason.

If there is a god and he gave me the ability, why would he then ask me to not use it?

Date: October 04, 2016 12:17PM

I mentioned that because I went with my grandmother when I was a teenager to her (then) place of worship, which was Science of the Mind, in the heart of the Morridor (Ogden.)

She was a never Mo, who loved to explore different ideas - born and raised Jewish until her mom died early on. Then raised by Protestant aunts. My mom and her siblings were raised Protestant. After grandma raised her children she branched out and went to Science of the Mind, while exploring other religious philosophies.

I believe she was exploring her early childhood religion, truth be told. I dragged her with me when I was 14 to Salt Lake City (or did she drag me? ;) so we could explore our Jewish roots together. While there, grandma tugged on my sleeve during the Yiddish service (it also could have been Hebrew, we couldn't tell the difference lol,) which neither one of us understood a single word, to whisper that she recognized it as the very same one her mum had brought her to prior to her mom's passing. She hadn't been there since she was six years old!

If not for my curiosity, we wouldn't have made it out of the house that weekend. So glad we got to go together. It was a bonding moment for grandma and I.

She recognized the stained glass windows in the synagogue. She studied them as a young child while she sat through services with her mum. Today that synagogue is a historic landmark, but was sold off in the 1970's and is currently an Interior Design Studio. (Last I heard anyways.)

My grandmother lived her religion all of her life. She was Jewish from birth. She went full circle. It's Jewish to question, explore, and wrestle with theology. Grandma did that as well as any Jew I know of. Maybe better. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2016 12:37PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: M0rtes ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 12:03PM

I enjoy the my wife's Luthern Church.
Not so much because i need a organized faith, but because the people their are cool, most are very liberal minded thinking, and i don't feel obligated to go every sunday.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 01:08PM

Contrary to my post about witches, I haven't. I've gone to the local UU a few times, but I'm only doing that because I'm new to the area and looking for a sense of community. I have no interest in subscribing to any dogma.

That said, I've been reading and researching many different philosophies because I don't want the grey cells to turn black. I've been exploring aspects of Buddhism, witchcraft, Pantheism, and just took a book of philosophy out of the library. If anything, my beliefs are a bit of this and that. Instead of subscribing to a religion with a strict set of ideas, I believe that life is like a box of chocolates. You squeeze all of them to see what's inside and only eat the ones you like.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 01:30PM

My children and I consider ourselves Lutheran, though none of us have been baptized a Lutheran. Our Lutheran church recognizes Mormon baptisms. We don't take communion. We go about once a month, if the weather is good, if it's convenient, if we're in the mood....

For about 4 years after leaving, I was unable to go to any church, without having flashbacks and anxiety attacks. I would go for a nature walk on Sundays. I highly recommend this! Being alone in nature cleared my head of the confusion and lies of Mormonism, and helped me to form my own individual philosophy of life. I agree that Love is key. So is learning. Also, knowing your own mind and heart, and being true to that.

I am still in the process of getting to know the God of Love--as opposed to the Mormon God of Hate. Hatred towards gays, apostates, other religions, divorced people, dark-skinned people, people who don't pay tithing, people with tattoos and piercings, and the list goes on. By "hatred" I also include shunning, condemning to "outer darkness" and banning from the Celestial Kingdom for whatever reason. Any sign of prejudice or hatred, and I will walk out of a church--which I had to do twice.

I've investigated many religions (but no cults) and ALL are better than Mormonism. The sermons are much more uplifting and positive. They preach Love.

Other churches have an open book on their finances, usually on a website, that everyone can access.

For many years, I've done charity work through a coalition of several Christian religions, and the people are accepting and sincere. These people truly help those in need!

However, because of my PTSD, I will never officially join anything. I will not sign my name to anything, or commit to anything. I donate money anonymously. I rarely socialize, or go to the coffee-time. I will never be normal. I don't wear panty hose and heels. I leave church after one hour. I allow myself the freedom to leave if I'm not enjoying the meeting. I told you I was phobic!

On Christmas Eve, we have always gone with friends to the Methodist candle light service--even when we were Mormons.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 06:36PM

Catholic. I can belong, enjoy the liturgy, and they leave me alone unless I give them permission.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 06:41PM

Nothing for me. I nearly had to knaw a leg off to escape the morg. I'm so much better off without being connected to any organized religion.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 04, 2016 06:50PM

There are plenty of churches where I can feel comfortable as a Christian believer. I do attend a particular one but naming it is meaningless because it is not about denominations as fellow believers can be found in most. It is about the singer not the song for me.

Date: October 04, 2016 07:24PM

Kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It is about the
> singer not the song for me.

Not meaning to take away from your message, but this is a good place as any to interject "Sugartown" by Nancy Sinatra.

Who else could have sung Sugartown and put it on the charts as well as she did? ;))

https://youtu.be/pjsh2j7W6Bo

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 02:16AM

I am reminded of a song from the mormon hymnal: "I Stand all Amazed."

Further deponent saith not.

Posted by: got2Breal ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 10:14PM

After being an atheist for about 12 years I discovered the research of Ian Stevenson and became convinced of reincarnation. Unfortunately there is no church for that.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 10:17PM

No, because Mormonism was my last journey into religion and then I walked away from it.

I'd started off as a Catholic, then was Anglican, then was Baptist and then Mormon. Now I'm not too thrilled with religion at all.

I don't have anything against people being spiritual, but organized religion drives me crazy.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 11:11PM

I didn't join any religion after leaving Mormonism. I'm just going along now, enjoying my life. Becoming self-aware that I am not religious at all and being honest to others about that has relieved a lot of stress. And Sundays are enjoyable now :)

One religion I like learning about is Paganism. It's really interesting to me and not like anything I grew up with. And I can learn about it at my leisure, without those pesky Pagan missionaries breathing down my neck pressuring me to join up.

Posted by: ganymeade ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 08:20AM

I was agnostic/deist for a long time after leaving Mormonism, but gradually have been moving towards Catholicism. I enjoy the traditional Latin services and general spirituality. It is kind of an odd feeling going to church and enjoying it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2016 08:21AM by ganymeade.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 11:21AM

I haven't formally joined them and may never but I find a sense of peace there. I love the liturgy. They are service oriented and non judgemental.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 12:47PM

I researched many religions, and still like to read about varying beliefs, but I'll never join another church. There's only one church besides TSCC in my city. I might go check it out sometime, just to see if the band is any good...and to see what it's like to go to church in jeans and a t-shirt.

I've thought about starting the "The Utah Safety Society Anti-Church Co.". It would just be a place to get together on Sunday, listen to music, laugh loudly, etc... Interested in joining?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 12:56PM

My ex wife and I left the church while I was at BYU. When we relocated for my job, she started pushing to find a new church to attend, take the kids and all that. We went to a couple nearby churches once or twice.

After a few more weeks of no church visiting, she started nagging me about not taking enough action to find this new church.

I said.....I don't enjoy sitting in church, I don't believe in god or the Jesus myth, I'm not interested in hanging out with "believers" once a week and the pressure they will put on me to get more involved, or believe like they do. I'm not going to take my kids to something I don't believe in. If you like all that and want to attend a church, go for it, but I don't.

She didn't say much, looked she was ponderizing it for moment, and that was the end of us trying to find a church post mormonism.

Posted by: PTSD ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 01:26PM

Mormonism ruined religion for me.

I still believe in God and Christ, and the simple rules for living that are taught in the Bible--but I will never join any organized religion.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 01:30PM

I'm sensing that if someone founds a decent disorganized religion, a line would form to join, but ... it's disorganized!

Posted by: HikergrlAZ ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 09:24PM

I was 10 years agnostic, then went non-denominational Christian. I am very happy. It took many years and many classes to understand all the differences between Mormonism and basic Christianity.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: October 06, 2016 10:30PM

Yes, attended a women's Bible study that was in my neighborhood at a Lutheran church, then attended occasionally for a number of years. Was the wedding coordinator for a while, kept attending. Then attended the adult membership class, then joined officially in June. I learn something every week, look forward to attending church. It's 100% better than the Mormon church.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: October 07, 2016 12:58AM

Had no belief one way or another. Too busy going to college,drinking,having fun to give it much thought.I am now an Atheist with a capital A. Religion is vile disease. Anti freedom Anti science Anti progress Anti anything that is good and decent.I don't have a big problem with say Unitarians or Quakers but find Mormonism ,Catholicism fundie Christianity and especially Islam to be sickening .

Posted by: hgc ( )
Date: October 07, 2016 01:56AM

No, for all the same reasons I quit the Mormon Church.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: October 07, 2016 03:40AM

I researched many different religions in high school, after taking a class on Taoism. Having already read the Bible and BOM, I took to reading the Quran for my study of Islam. I also investigated Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto and other eastern religions.

By the time I reached university I was convinced that ALL religions were false. They all preach very similar things, and all claim to be True. Believers in every faith swear to having "spiritual experiences" just like Mormons do. But having never experienced anything even remotely "spiritual" myself -- only my own emotions, which I recognized easily as a very introverted person -- I easily knew that I had really always been an atheist; I just never allowed myself to understand that.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 07, 2016 06:20AM

No, I didn't go to any other religion. But I did become much more accepting of people of other faiths. Mormons don't have a monopoly on being fine and decent people.

Posted by: partymxman ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 08:12PM

I agree with you, Mormons do not have a monopoly on being fine and decent. In fact, it's really all about the person. There are good people and bad in all religions.

It's the good people that get exemplified to the public , essentially used for good P.R. , which potentially makes the public see the religion as good.

Myself, I was a temporary convert, (I tried the religion for 2 years, actually more to research it from the inside out to see why my wife was so involved). And I tend to be open minded to new ideas or new ways to see something, of which then I usually analyze.

My wife, when we met, was an inactive LDS member. But seeing she was a more mature and married woman, her uncles and aunts talked her back into being active in the LDS church again. She was also a multi-generational Mormon - having lineage on both sides of her family, which is huge of course.

After a little time of her feeling unfulfilled, pressured and feeling like she was a lesser woman due to personal issues, she started questioning everything and researching, which got me to researching along side her. When we found what we viewed as a very very dark side of the church, spiritually dangerous and basically evil, we both left.

My wife became angry, lost, devastated spiritually. She started fluctuating between being a bit atheist to believing there is something and/or someone in terms of a higher power, but not being sure what. She also went back to some of the vices she had prior to returning to the church. She felt like her whole life was one big lie because of the deceptions of the church and the truth about the church we were now both aware of. She at this time is non-religious and agnostic.

I too did not go to any other religion. I've always tried to be accepting of others' faiths. The thing I try to think about is that some people need their faith in their religion, perhaps it's all that is keeping that person going or is giving them some kind of guidelines to live life by.

I also became more aware of the heavy responsibility spiritually of influencing another person's religious faith and ideals.

I was fine after leaving, because I've always held onto my own core spirituality and connection. And I was the same person leaving as I was joining. I was however disappointed with yet another religion not living up to its hype.

So at this time I am just a spiritual person that has gleaned a lot of good things out of several religions, met a lot of beautiful people, some which stayed friends, and I figure, if a certain religion is what a person needs in order to be their best self, feel secure, stay grounded, then that's what they need. But if I am asked why I left or what I believe, I will speak honestly and with research and facts to back me up. Hopefully it will enlighten the questioner(s).

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. Peace & Love All!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 08:55PM by partymxman.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.