Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 04:52PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 04:56PM

we need the citation for this!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 05:03PM

In a sermon given from the Tabernacle, Kimball declared: 'I think no more of taking [another] wife than I do of buying a cow,' -Ann Eliza Snow, Wife No. 19, Chapter 17, "Taking a Wife and Buying a Cow"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 05:26PM

Cow lover?

Posted by: newlifenow ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 06:24PM

You sure he wasn't actually referring to buying a wife and having sex with his cow?

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 07:34PM

Beat me to it, dang it!

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 06:41PM

Yeah, and I suspect the difference between Heber and the person in question would be very minimal. Same with Joseph Smith.

Date: October 13, 2016 06:43PM

This was a guy (Heber) who happily gave Smith his 14 year-old daughter to have sex with...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:09PM

Yeah, he and that Good Ol' Boy from Hope would be jetting down to that private island on Jeffrey Epstein's "Lolita Express."

What a name, "Hope." Privileged bastards.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:12PM

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 08:15AM

.....Cunni Lingo?

All the girls loved him.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:21PM

Udder Tripe! (Now that would be an exotic menudo!)

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:38PM

Johnny Lingo

Posted by: mad cow ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 07:17AM

I'm about up to here with downing the Lingo story based on bad cultural comparisons.

His was an Asian island culture where a dowry had to be paid to the father to wed.

Period.

The idea was that the female had inherent value, IN THAT CULTURE.

Lingo saw that Serina (his plain-looking, beloved) was tormented by her looks and sorely bullied because of them. That sat very ill with him.

He worked very hard to accumulate wealth, became skilled in his trading abilities. He could have had his beloved Serina much sooner than he did, and any woman would have been glad to have him, but he had a specific goal in mind. The end of abuse for Serina, and he would buy it, pay whatever necessary, to see it done, see that her pain end.

The going "high price" for a dowry (not the woman), was two, three cows at most, for the most desired of women. For his "ugly," abused Serina, he made it clear, she was "worth" eight cows. He KNEW the abuse would then be directed at him, for being a "fool" to pay so much for her. It would damage his reputation as a trader, but when tongues wagged, the venom would be focused on him, not her. It worked. When people talked, it was about "his stupidity," not "her ugliness." Eight cows! No one would ever - could ever - tell her she had no "worth." The brilliant trader had stated her "worth" as the highest ever known.

He also knew that when she was among her own, the abusive bullies who had told her that she would always be single because she was so ugly, everyone would know the famous story. The extraordinay price would see to that. No woman could ever again tell her that she had no worth, no "value." She was THE Serina, the eight-cow wife. The former abuse was now a worthless lie. She could walk among them, forever free of fear.

Lingo could have had her for one cow. But he wanted more. He wanted "his" Serina to be out of pain, to be free to love herself, and to love him. He wanted to clear a path for her, for them, and he did, at all costs.

His heart loved the woman inside of a body that everyone else had always called "ugly." In their culture, he helped her to value her beautiful insides more than the lifetime of abuse had allowed her to know. The "eight cows" was his shield of gold to her.

To compare that type of monogamous love to polygamy is blindness. This is a story of helping a single female to recover a feeling of inherent "worth," not a story of devaluing females by trading them like cattle. Lingo's story is the opposite of Mormonism.

Date: October 14, 2016 08:20AM

I think that it's an example of "One man's trash is another man's treasure." The girl was thought of as ugly because no man up to that point had discovered her worth as a person. When Johnny came along and valued her for more than her looks, she became beautiful.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 08:20AM

Don't you mean "Mahana"...don't believe her name was Serena. Perhaps you are thinking of the Tennis player?

Mahana truly was a 10-cow wife, but isn't interesting that the Mormons would be the ones to come up with such a misogynistic movie? I mean, yeah, he loved her, but women in the movie were subservient to men as they are in TSCC.

Date: October 14, 2016 10:27AM

"Mahana truly was a 10-cow wife, but isn't interesting that the Mormons would be the ones to come up with such a misogynistic movie? I mean, yeah, he loved her, but women in the movie were subservient to men as they are in TSCC."

Women have been subservient to men in practically every culture since the dawn of recorded history, so this story isn't unusual.

The church didn't create "Johnny Lingo." It was based on a short story:

"McGerr also wrote Johnny Lingo and the Eight Cow Wife, which was the basis for the 1969 movie Johnny Lingo made by the BYU Film Studio.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_McGerr

Posted by: mad cow ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 01:43PM

Exmoron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't you mean "Mahana"...don't believe her name
> was Serena. Perhaps you are thinking of the
> Tennis player?
>

No, it was the name from memory of having read it nearly 30 years ago. I never saw the movie.

This is the story I had read:

http://www.ultimatehusband.com/8cow_wife.htm

Based on that, I should have written, "Sarita." Thanks for the correction.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 08:22AM

where does one obtain cows on a pacific island ?

Date: October 14, 2016 09:38AM

And what about the father (and Johnny) considering the woman property to be bartered over?

Date: October 14, 2016 10:19AM

"where does one obtain cows on a pacific island?"

Hagoth, the seagoing Nephite, brought them over from the mainland.

Seriously, the story was set in the modern area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_wild_cattle

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 10:45AM

I can't remember if I ever saw that Johnny Lingo movie.
Does it take place in the modern era or sometime in the past ?
And the name "Johnny Lingo" doesn't sound very polynesianish to me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 05:48AM

A lovely individual, wasn't he?

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 02:23PM

considered royalty for being descendants of this pig.

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 07:31PM

"I think no more of going to church than I do buying a cow, and considering I live in the suburbs I have no cows"-Princess Telestia, profitess of unfinished novels, founder of the the Church of I really don't care about God let's party of latter day sinners.

Posted by: Hockey Ra ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 08:04PM

He was supposed to of lived her since they were kids. He knew she was worth more. The camera never showed her close up, or when it did , her hsir was always in her face , hiding it. You didn't see it until they came back from their honeymoon ,
Everybody is shocked how much she's " changed", even though she looks the same , just has confidence.
Then her no good abusive father thinks that he had been cheated. AH

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 02:31AM

In pages 495-496 of Todd Compton's "In Sacred Loneliness," Heber's initial resistance to polygamy is described vividly. He was married happily to a woman named Vilate (mother of Helen Mar), and neither member of the couple was the least bit interested in augmenting their supply of spouses.

JS first began rocking the boat by demanding that Heber hand over Vilate to JS, who wanted to marry her. The Kimballs were appalled. For three days, they held out. Finally, JS told Heber that he must choose between Mormonism and Vilate. Heber was broken-hearted, but finally surrendered Vilate to JS.

This turned out to be a bait-and-switch, like Abraham and Isaac. Once the Kimballs had given in to JS, the Horndog praised them for their obedience, sealed them to each other, and they thought that would be the end of it.

Then JS "taught Heber the principle of polygamy and required him to take a plural wife." Heber cleverly decided he would "marry" a couple of elderly spinsters, which would get JS out of his hair and not upset Vilate.

But this didn't fly. JS had already picked a second wife for Heber, and forced him to go through with it. But it seems to be pretty clear that Heber didn't want any part of it. JS coerced him into marrying this second woman, and it sounds like over the years, he kept up the coercion until Heber eventually married anybody JS told him to.

Many years and many wives later, Heber declared that Vilate had always remained his favorite wife.

It sounds like Old Joe was a very nasty and domineering monster.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 07:27AM

> It sounds like Old Joe was a very nasty and
> domineering monster.

There are very strong suspicions that Smith suffered from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. That certainly helps explain a lot of his behaviour (i.e. delusions of running for US presidency).

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 02:42AM

I feel for both the wife and the cow.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 07:52AM

I think no more of buying a wife than I do of taking a cow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.