Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 04:52AM

Was not difficult to get a card to get into the chapel to attend Fort Collins Temple Dedication.

I went to the second session. It was okay and worth the time until Deiter spoke. Something about him that just bothers me. First sister spoke about coming to the temple and the importance of the temple. She was a matron. Personally, she did not inspire me to want to come to her house she was a matron in. Second speaker, can't remember what he said. Neither can I remember what third speaker said.Either I am too old or they just were not that inspiring.

Deiter talked a lot about the culture event the night before. A lot about the youth. Some stuff about what we learn in the temple. And a caution. He warned people that lived near the temple to make a commitment to attend the temple often. That comment seemed out of place unless you think you are God. Said it three different ways. He told the youth three different times to attend and do baptisms as often as possible. The temple dedication prayer was nothing over the top and not that in depth. Compared to older temple dedication prayers, it lacked substance.

What was not said is telling. What was not seen was telling. As we sat for the first 30 minutes before the dedication started they had the Mormon Choir sing and showed pictures of temples around the world and also inside pictures of temples.It was nice but what was missing was any outside shots of the Fort Collins temples and the temple grounds. Only pictures of the chandelier in the Celestial Room. I found that strange, very few pictures of the temple they are dedicating. In my mind, it's is not a beautiful building on the outside. Can't speak for the inside. I can not figure out the theme of the building. Maybe someone can help me out.

Very little was said about the construction of the building.Nothing about the design or beauty of the building. Nothing said about the workers who built and designed such a beautiful building. But a lot said about the people who planned the culture event.I think Deiter got more out of the culture event than he did dedicating the building.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 17, 2016 05:08AM

On a Temple website they have posted a thumbnail picture of the temple. It's got to be the worst design ever.The lot has got to be the worst ever too. To enter the temple you go around a gas station. Yes they have photos from the air. Who ever choose this spot? One way in and that is via the gas station. A real thing of beauty.

It will have a ward building, a temple and some other maintenance building. The proper comes with an already developed fixture that tells what real estate area you are in.Yes this is going to be a real temple site of beauty.

Best news. 20 months to build. That should be some fine workmanship based on how cold the Canadian Winters are. This tells me the Church is really hurting money wise.

A look at the site pictures shows it is not in an expensive land location and maybe more a commercial development area.

Canada deserves better.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 09:43AM

The church is struggling to stay afloat in Canada. In provinces like Ontario and Quebec there is zero growth or decline. That is not a secret. Manitoba is much the same, which is why a temple in Winnipeg will be a waste of money and resources. Their only chance in Canada is Alberta, where there have always been pockets of Mormonism still alive. But even conservative Albertans are losing interest in the cult.

In Canada the cojcolds is insignificant. The brethren will need to focus their efforts elsewhere.

Canada is not buying.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 12:46PM

I'm afraid of encouraging members to get gas before a session. IMO there's too much farting already when we old men have to stand suddenly. And, as geezer culture notes, there's always the possibility of a surprise--a fart with a lump in it. Just my 2 cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 12:47PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 08:45PM

I am quite defensive that the San Diego temple is the most ugly, but willing to examine the evidence.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 08:51PM

SEcular Priest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Canada deserves better.

Indeed. They deserve to be free of LDS, Inc. and its ugly temples.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 05:26AM

Well, the church has just sunk a lot of money into that brand new temple. Church officials want to get their investment back. They want the temple to be packed with full tithe payers and their families.

I have to wonder if there will come a point of over-saturation, where having a temple close to you doesn't make it all that special anymore.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 10:27AM

I think they're already there.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 08:27AM

Just wondering if anything was said about seed of Lehi or children of Lehi, AKA Lamanites?

Deiter made it a point to tell the Mayans they were Book of Mormon people in the Guatemala temple dedication. Wondering if he left that out in the Fort Collins dedication.

My wife is still LDS. We live in the Nebraska panhandle. Fort Collins is now the temple closest to her. She is American Indian with quite an ancestral history of events, including the Northern Colorado area in the 19th Century. So we wonder if Deiter's so-called revelation and inspiration in temple dedications only covers Book of Mormon people in Mesoamerica.

Date: October 17, 2016 08:32AM

No Lamanite comment. Mostly about youth in attendance and in temple district. His concern was temple may be under used and people will be turned away due to lack of staff. His words not mine.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 08:35AM

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 09:26AM

Temples are word boxes. They are places that people go to deposit words.

They're like the litter boxes that my cats use. A couple times a day my cats stop by one of the boxes to defecate or urinate. They have a biological need to rid themselves of poop or pee.

TBMs use temples the same way. They have a need to rid themselves of the thoughts and feelings that pile up in their minds. So periodically they stop by the nearest temple to perform this physiological function.

The primary difference between what my cats do and what TBMs do is that the former do not need to be taught to use the litter box; it's an instinct. TBMs, however, need to be shown how to use the temples to evacuate their minds, and then be reminded periodically to do so.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 12:57PM

except that you're not going to give your cat a worthiness interview or charge it 10% of its mouse kills (or whatever runs for currency in the cat kingdom today) before it's allowed to enter the box, are you?
;)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 01:11PM

Sir, I find your comments to be unfair and derogatory toward litter boxes. Litter boxes are civilization's best efforts to control cat feces. Much research and wisdom goes into their design--and both feline and human benefit from their existence. Temples, on the other hand, promote shit that is neither contained or odorless. Give me a sweet smelling litter box over a temple anytime! The feline's Boner.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 11:11AM

reminds me of a used car salesman as portrayed in movies, etc. Listening to him reminds me of Arnold S, who I've never liked. I can't believe how crazy mormon women are about him.

How was the hosanna shout? I never did attend a temple dedication. Oh, and hasn't it just been recently that you can go to a temple dedication by going to the closest stake center?

Back in the 1970s, we could only do baptisms now and then. Nowadays, it seems you can go almost any time. My TBM daughter does baptisms at least once a week when she is close to a temple.

And, yep, the mormons long ago passed the point where temples are special. They are more like what stake centers used to be in comparison to the old chapels that most of us attended as children. When they started building stake centers, it was a really big deal.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 01:01PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, and hasn't it just been
> recently that you can go to a temple dedication by
> going to the closest stake center?

The first I recall like that was the Columbus, OH temple in the late 90's. ('99 according to http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/columbus/).

Posted by: applesauce ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 12:55PM

I lived in FoCo for 30 years, and I'm really quite surprised the church put a temple there. After all, there's one in Denver.

Anyway, I'm surprised because it seemed to be a more liberal mormon town, it being a college town. I'm surprised there's still enough mormons there to support a temple.

I say that because when I sent in my resignation (hahaha by mistake as it turns out, which is a whole other story!) they sent back the letter that I had 30 days to change my mind, and then I never heard from them again. That was around 20 years ago. I had been inactive for the 10 years prior to that. I had run into a smattering of friends that had left the church since then.

I should swing by it and take a look, as I still have family in the area (Never MOs, Yay!)

Thanks for sharing the dedication stuff....wouldn't know otherwise...applesauce

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 07:27PM

when you attend a conference dedication in a chapel, are you still supposed to bring a white hankie to participate in the the "Hosannah" wave?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 08:06PM

What if you only could find a beige hanky! Oh, the humanity!!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 07:51PM

I would rather see a slide show on sewer treatment plants from around the world than sit through one on mormon temples.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.