Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 09:35PM

This isn't me but this is what I'm like:

(Alice + Olivia Pre-Fall 2016)
http://vg-images.condecdn.net/image/2xn6565PAEN/crop/1020

What's your personality like?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 09:38PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 10:09PM

I don't know how to post a pic here but in my minds eye I'm like Tom Selleck in "Quigly Down Under"....sort of. My wife would add that I'm just as stubborn and grouchy as that character. At least I had a Sharps rifle just like his....

RB

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 07:26AM

she's wearing the black watch regiment tartan: the germans in the trenches 1914 called them 'devils in skirts'. The black watch regiment was comprised of toughies from Tayside, Scotland and were the boys who initiated football games that first christmas in the trenches.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 10:58PM

Wednesday Addams

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 11:44PM

I just hung up from a phone call from a nephew who lives in Utah. We laugh a lot about family and church things and mix-ups (he's a professional genealogist).

When I thanked him for calling (as we were about to hang-up), he said "Well, you're a lot of fun to talk with".

So, I'm happy to accept that compliment as (at least) part of my personality.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 12:50AM

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 12:53AM

Dexter Morgan

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 01:33AM

Which personality? Can I pick one of mine, or do you want?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 01:53AM

My personality likes solitude, reflection and contemplation. Turn offs include meetings and mega malls.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 10:25AM

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 08:49AM

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 10:57AM

that was interesting! It said I am ISFP- Adventurer.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 01:18PM

I'm waiting for my wife to take the test. I'm betting that she is my polar opposite, ESFP - The Entertainer.

We had both taken the StrengthsFinder test. It rates 34 different strengths from strongest to weakest. They are described as forming a circle around you. The strongest five are directly in front of you, while the weakest five are in your "blindspot". The idea is that you can relate best with people who have their stronger strengths within your "field of vision". My wife and I are practically in each other's blindspot; but the saving grace is that we have one key strength (Relator; relating deeply with select people) in our "peripheral vision". The nice thing about the test is being aware of what our foreign-seeming strengths are, we can use the Relator strength to foster some understanding.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 02:56PM

Probably wouldn't surprise anybody who knows me here...

https://www.16personalities.com/entj-personality

However, the internet versions of these tests aren't very reliable, and even the professionally-administered ones are only very general guidelines, not absolutes. :)

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 12:34PM

Just because you act one way at the temple, and anther way at a football game has nothing to do with you. Football players could go to the temple, they just have to modify their clothes and a few other things. Who they are in the moment, and how they express themself, is so, situational. I am more into trait theory myself. Or clusters of skills. That makes more sense, clusters of skills with systematic application, logically, for a given situation in a hiearchy of needs internally expressed to for a goal intent routine for the highest good.

Or were you talking culture? Or social tribal placement?

One things for sure though, finding an authors voice, is hard. Writing descriptive sequencial narrative in the second person has a tone. Writing personal biographical reflections can rhyme like poems or have rthym like rap, but writing a research paper like cited technical writing is formulaic, precise. Writing something persuasive begins with a grab or lead then circles into the topic.. its still all writing, typed by the same 2 hands and parts of the same mind.

Accessing different authoring voices or writing style is a big challenge

I NEVER COULD UNDERSTAND when ______ an English teacher when she said sitting at the table, "___, I just love it seeing when my students get their voice (writing)" and I am like what?

One voice? Why do authors use several pseudonyms publishing differing genres then ? (But then she is an English major married to an English major, so limited! That lady has no frame of reference for other professions or majors or life styles, such as the company construction owner I knew who had a UC Berkeley photography and art degree but made money mostly in timber contracts, with diesel equipment, his pose was cryptic, his photos aching; with a forestry major who writes technical forest-biome or tree stand analysis and also writes breathtaking human narrative vignettes on a mid-century foothill town. ) She thought a person had to have one writing voice! Just like one career or one. College major or one blog. I think she`s full of it and barely professional and feel her view may limit her honors students. One voice! one writing voice for heavens sake! right?

There is no limit to a writers voice, a truck driver, a waitress at night, a dancer or construction worker, a tree trimmer, a lawyer all may well have a professional voice, but it wont be the same `voice` when they are tucking their 2 year old child or grandchild in at night, nor the same voice murmuring at a dear loves bedside. The nuances aren't the same, nor the intent, yet it is all part of our humanness. I feel, I believe, that the young English teacher speaking with me at that table, raised really really rich had limited perspective on heart and through which she idealized and wanted to limit her high school students to one assigned track for life in which they would write right & she, would have Huntington Beach, & Hawaii /she would own a creative voice. Others, not so much. I don't think the rich Hawaii & Huntington Beach lady respects the great voices among us average, employed, part time employed, retired, and disabled and just making do Americans, that she thinks that as an English Major she has the right to a voice & owns words...not the poet-logger, or the author living in timber camps writing nights, or narrative salesman, or florists daughter who writes soap opera dialogue based on her parents' customers.

One voice. really. & what is, personality, anyways. Enough of that.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 02:12PM by paintinginthewin.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 03:33PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 05:00PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 03:41PM

Zsa Zsa, dahling.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 04:18PM

Like Santa Claus.

Who says "fuck!" a lot.

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 04:22PM

I'm basically Jack Sparrow.

Posted by: Long-winded and Lonely ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 05:07PM

I'm a lot like "paintinginthewin"

I am always changing. Who am I today? Mormons made me believe that inconsistency is a bad trait, and they were and are frustrated that they can't define who I am. They called me irresponsible and flighty. I was just young, and growing and learning.

I grew up to be the sole support of my children, and to have a great career! I was also told that I would never get anywhere in this life, if I didn't squeeze myself into the mold, stop laughing and smiling so much. I was too fun-loving. Yet--all these "immature and silly" traits made it possible for me to ADAPT. My life had many twists and turns over which I had no control, and I was able to bend, yield, and change with the times. When I wanted to, I was able to stand u

All of us who left the Mormon cult have courage! Most of us were submissive drones when we were members. Changing circumstances can change your personality.

I changed my majors and minors several times at BYU, until I realized that I needed to change schools, not majors, and I left BYU. That gave me confidence. At BYU I had very little confidence.

p for what I believed, and set boundaries with those who were abusive.

I still tend to run away from unpleasantness, whenever possible. Running away has saved my life, a few times! No matter what, I was steadfast in loving and raising my children, and would never have abandoned them. They turned out to be great human beings.

I'm humble (just bragging, just now), but I do not believe in Mormon humility. I was brought-down by Mormonism, and became depressed on Sundays, but now I'm a very happy person. I'm not "moody". This happiness comes from within, and is permanent.

I don't believe in Mormon forgiveness, as in "Miracle of Forgiveness." I used to be lenient with others, but now I don't take kindly to BS.

Once I was an extreme extrovert, and now I'm a moderate introvert. I used to be a leader, in student government in college, a cheerleader, Homecoming Queen. Now, I prefer to be in the background, helping and encouraging others from the sidelines. I used to perform on the stage--music and acting--and now I would rather die than get up there in front of people.

I don't like competition, now--I think it divides people and creates enemies. Us vs Them. I used to play a brutal game of tennis, and would "kill" my opponents, male and female. Now, I like to teach others to beat me.

We change to adapt to our various roles. When I got divorced, I was forced into the role of father, as well as mother. I had to do the disciplining, when my personality was always "undisciplined." Or was it?

I was very disciplined, to accomplish some of the more difficult tasks in my life.

How much of "personality" is appearance and learned behaviors?

Sometimes the answer to the personality conundrum is that we let the Mormons manipulate us through criticism and threats. "You are not disciplined enough to achieve this goal." "You are irresponsible because you miss church meetings." "You are scatterbrained because you forgot to bring your scriptures." "You will never get married, unless you stop being so flighty."

How much of our personality is really our own? Maybe it is those few basic traits that we have carried with us throughout our lives--honesty, love, interests, connections, etc....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.