Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:40PM

Ok, I just started back to college recently. The last class I had was taught by a Mormon prof, and now I discovered that my next class will be as well! So when they're asking us to discuss religion in regards to sociology and psychology classes, I really feel like I have to be careful what I say. I'm trying to think of a back-handed way to say that Mormons are full of it, but then again, I want to make a good grade. LOL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 07:22PM

Criticize the ideas, not the people.

In philosophy classes, there is nothing sacred about religion. Every idea gets examined. We hold nothing back when criticizing ideology, but as soon as it gets personal, the professional academic spirit is gone and chaos ensues. A good professor should know where to draw the line and how to keep things on a professional level. You know, professor=professional.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 07:44PM

Posted by: lucius ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:07PM

Don't just share your opinion, make a point as if it is a hypothesis you are advancing and give evidence in support. Avoid anecdotal evidence.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:14PM

College is just one big game. I always would ask people about all the professors that taught the classes I needed and found signing up for the better ones had more to do with keeping the GPA up than studying harder. College is pure politics just like life unfortunately is as well.

I wasn't in class to make a point or change the world, I was there for a grade period and that meant giving the professor what they wanted.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:44PM

Obviously I'm going to do what it takes to get the grade, you guys. I thought I would throw something discreet into one of my papers and maybe poke at the religion a bit. I'm not about to get personal and piss someone off.

Tough crowd sometimes.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 01:30AM

Outside of Utah, being Mormon (or rather, an ex-Mormon) leads to great discussion in class. I was eve asked to guest lecture for two psychology classes just speaking about how Mormonism affects the dynamics of family.

I took that time to inform them about weird Mormon beliefs and how being an apostate affects family relationships. I've been asked back several times, but haven't had time to return. People love hearing about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.