Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 01:38PM

Some apologists say "How could Joseph known about cotton armor and Nephite clothing?", so I decided to look up what Native attire would look like in the Northeast during his lifetime, and came across this, which is kinda funny, kinda sad, considering people are actually researching BoM stuff as if it's real history:

https://news.byu.edu/news/who-wore-it-best-byu-professor-expert-bible-and-book-mormon-clothing

"The common Bible and Book of Mormon representations we see are typically inaccurate," Scanlon said. "I was disappointed when I found out, so I started doing my own research. That research evolved over 15 years to be the expansive project it is today."

"Many BYU productions have also profited from Scanlon's work. In 2003, the Opera Abinidi, in 2006 the play Aida and in 2009 both the play Children of Eden and Macbeth, set in Central America benefited from the expansive research by Scanlon.

"My research in the Bible and Book of Mormon has influenced my approach to most productions," Scanlon said, "I now think more about the historical context of clothing overall."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 01:54PM

What a colossal waste of time. Really? Studying how Moroni dressed? Didn't Joe already give a description? Same with God and Jesus. Sounds like they were all dressed alike in sheets.

I had to laugh when he said he learned from the HG. What does that tell you? He imagined most of it up, and blames it on a ghost. It's all seriously credible though. He wants everyone to see what he imagined up.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 02:08PM

His crap was used is H.C.P. too. They benefit from and are made for each other. He's so conceited it wouldn't even matter he's a fool.

"Since there are many opinions about ancient culture and clothing, Scanlon's guides direct artists to their own interpretations of how ancient people clothed themselves. There is no definitive way to determine how ancient people dressed, but the guides give artists a good idea of the type of clothing worn by correlating research done by hundreds of experts."

The TYPoES of clothing worn by correlating research done by hundreds of experts.

Mormon shits in suit of dodo covered dudu and doesn't even notice.

Artists don't need good ideas dum dum. They have plenty of their own. Some they not even want.

Give artists a good idea.hahahahahaha

A good laugh. Dummy

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 11:10AM

I know the Professor....worked with him for several years when he was a designer for the BYU Theater Dept and I was the scenic artist.

I wasn't a theater major and I wasn't a graduate student, but I had the grad student job and stipend....paid more than double the other campus jobs. The Prof. always treated me a little snippy, like he didn't like me.....heard he argued against me having the plum job for reasons stated above and pushed to have someone else get it.

So after a couple years of me, they gave it to a theater grad student recommended by the Prof. and I became the assistant....paid by the hour but it was still double campus jobs because of the skill level.

The grad student didn't do so well, I ended up finishing the painting of his sets, and lo and behold, next semester I got the grad student job back, and the prof. was really nice to me from then on.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:50PM

"Some apologists say "How could Joseph known about cotton armor and Nephite clothing?"

Uhhh.....Since cotton clothing was common in Smith's day, and still is, why wouldn't he write that the fictional Nephites wore it as well?

"The oldest evidence of cotton cloth has been unearthed by archaeologists from caves in Mexico which date back as far as 8,000 years ago. Remains of cotton cloth and cotton bolls were found, making Native Americans the makers of the oldest cotton found to date."

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-facts.html

For stronger armor, or warmer clothing, ancient Amerinds used deerhide, just like they still did up until modern times.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 04:18AM

Of course there was no way Joseph would have read or heard about Cortez or Pizaro fighting Aztecs and Incaz 200 years before he was born.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.