Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ForgotPassword ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 07:12PM

Family member who was quite TBM and unfortunately judgmental of other family ex-mos left TSCFC a few years ago. Surprised everyone. Now seems off the deep end to many of us; instead of logic or critical thinking, they're simply applying mormonism-style extremist thinking to say now all rules or any norms should be broken if not questioned heavily. Teenage girl is being put in harm's way, having some super heavy stuff dumped on her that she's in no way mature or experienced enough to even begin to unpack and cope with in a healthy, self-protective way.

Rest of family (about half dozen exmos, in many cases having been ex for over 20 years) are aghast. Feel like we're watching a baby being thrown out with its dirty bathwater. Have tried to say we love and support while pointing out faulty reasoning/dangers. We do love this family member but are deeply troubled at how leaving a destructive religion has nevertheless resulted in them making really terrible, destructive choices while blithely rebuffing our pleas and warnings. It's like the twilight zone...so happy they left TSCC but now reeling at the troubling newbie arrogance that claims that now that it's seen the light and rejected mormonism, it is now so very, very wise.

Used to post here more often...doing well after many years of recovery. But this family member's deep dive off the edge of reason and putting their own naive and innocent kid at risk for real tragedy, heartbreak and a life whose doors may slam shut before she has chance to go thru any of them to explore is breaking my fucking heart lately. Thanks for listening. Had to vent tonight as I'm a woman who was BIC TBM but so fortunate to both leave right after HS and but also have relatively mature parents who regardless of their faults still strove to protect the teenaged me from myself, at least while I was living under their roof anyway. I remain eternally grateful for their pushback. I didn't know shit about what an adult woman me might want and be capable of, but their attempts to pull in the reins did much to help me grow rather than self-detonate in an orgy of instant self-gratification.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 07:56PM

That's really sad.
But it's not unheard of.
Rather than toss the "morals" the Q15 demand you follow, then sit down and reasonably figure out what's good for yourself and your family and community and humanity, it sounds like they're just tossing "morals."

All I can say is, if they're putting their teen in real danger, don't just let it happen. Whether it's going and picking her up yourself, or calling child services, or whatever...do something to protect that kid.

Date: October 21, 2016 08:24PM

Thank you so much for your response.

Great username, and I do remember you as one of the regulars I respected quite a lot, for what it's worth.

Complicated situation. Reasons to call CPS seem very murky though there are also issues of concern not directly affecting the teen. One of my family members and I might consult a family law attorney in their state to better understand our position and what good or harm we might be causing or risking if we chose that path. So far, we think our options to intervene legally aren't clear at all.

Thanks again. Though I knew this couldn't be an anomaly for some leaving mormonism, I appreciate your understanding and validation.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 08:32PM

I'm just glad *somebody* is paying attention and looking out for the teen -- that's you. :) Consulting an attorney is probably wise. I wish you the best in your efforts, please don't let harm come to this kid! So glad you're on this!

Date: October 21, 2016 09:00PM

Thank you so much. We're trying with no small amount of fear and trembling to support parental rights while not ignoring kids who are now being put at significant risk. Never thought I'd be here 15 years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.