Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newnameneeded ( )
Date: October 29, 2016 05:45PM

I left the Church a few years ago, shortly after the publication of the Race and the Priesthood essay. I devised an escape plan that worked out for me, so I thought I would share it.

Realize that many ward callings get shuffled around for the new calendar year. This is an excellent time to let the Primary Pres, YM/YW Pres or Sunday School Pres know that you will not be returning in January due to pressing personal matters. If you can avoid it, don't mention it to bishopric member.

Serve cheerfully, if you can, until the end of the year. Emphasize the people you serve. Realize that you will only have to do this a few more weeks. Serving the remaining weeks happily is easy once you realize it is your ticket for getting out easily.

Start thinking about what positive thing you can do in your community in lieu of Church service. I was pretty adrift at first and then I became involved with local politics. When the election is over in a few weeks, I will start looking into more community endeavors I can support with my time. The local food kitchen in my community needs people on Sunday morning, for example.

Make a plan and stick to it. Do not be guilted into attending a Church whose teachings you don't agree with.

My best wishes to everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: October 29, 2016 10:58PM

What's all this prep stuff really about? What a pain. Like cutting a dogs tail off an inch at a time. Makes no sense to me. If you are going to leave, just leave. Why the game (plan)?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 29, 2016 11:11PM

you are a volunteer.
you can leave any time you wish.
no explanation needed.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 01:56AM

When I left, I wasn't looking for a future reference.

Posted by: newnameneeded ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:04AM

My family still attends. I wanted to keep friendships intact. For those of you who can leave instantly, do it. I had to have a plan to ween myself of the organization without calling attention to it. My bishop keeps saying, he would like to talk to me sometime about why I don't attend. "It is complicated," I say.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 03:35AM

newnameneeded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "It is complicated," I say.

Long ago, and far away, and in a much different part of my life...

...I once said this when I was asked an inconvenient question by a down-the-street neighbor.

He was a bit offended, although he did laugh...and his laughter smoothed the sudden awkwardness of the moment.

This is a good answer when someone asks an intrusive question about something which is none of their business.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 10:41AM

I didn't make preparations or long range planning when I left.

When I knew it was over, it was over. I walked out on my last Sunday knowing it would be the last time, and I haven't been back since.

No preparation needed other than the mental exercises and my being able to see through the dearth of spirituality masking for religion at church by the morgbots was all the justification and preparation I needed to get out of Dodge.

Life intervened, and so did coming to terms with the fact once a cult, always a cult. It was severing ties was what leaving amounted to for me. Wouldn't have mattered to me what time of year it was, what mattered more were the changes I was going through, and to protect my family from being subjected to further harm by a cult religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.